2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Glow Plug Warm Up? - 2019 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 07:50 AM
Bananasfoster
DEPLOY TRUNK MONKEY
Received 829 Likes on 359 Posts
Question Glow Plug Warm Up? - 2019 6.7

I think this may be a silly question but I dont see anything that says I have to warm up the glow plugs.

Just jump in and crank it up now?

Old 02-27-2020, 08:15 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
I wondered about that as well and also wondered about cold weather furl pump ramp up time.

having found nothing...,,on my push button start ....I wait 5 sec before engaging the brake to start.

until there’s some more clarity on this ...will have to wait and see

in my mind in feel like sometimes I see a glow plug icon light that comes on some times ...so maybe this is happening in the back ground depending on temps.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:17 AM
moterbiker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the few times I have started it when it was cold, maybe in the 20's it would say something in the display about waiting for start, then it would start, never more than 10 seconds. I would assume if it was zero it might sit longer.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:21 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Just start the truck. The glow plug light (orange coil) is rapid as the PCM controls the rapid heat plugs, they hit 1500 degrees within a second or two. Turning the truck to accessory mode does not activate them. If its truly cold enough the PCM will continue to run them on and off after starting and shut down the piezo injection during very cold starts.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:50 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Really a non-issue anymore. If it's too cold for the glow plugs, the computer will delay the start. Or tell you to move to Texas!

Old 02-27-2020, 09:21 AM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 764 Likes on 402 Posts
On modern diesels the glow plugs are super fast. Just start the truck.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:23 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
The 6.7 is no 7.3 or 6.0. Even at below zero the "Engine Start Pending" is less than 1 second. Zero degrees and the engine is smooth and quiet, throw in gear and go!

Old 02-27-2020, 09:47 AM
TeddyD
Postmaster
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Diesel Engine Fast Start Glow Plug System

The diesel engine glow system consists of:
• Eight glow plugs (one per cylinder)
• Glow Plug Control Module
• Engine Coolant Temperature sensor
• Barometric pressure sensor
• Environmental temperature sensor
The powertrain and glow plug control modules electronically control the glow plug system. After you switch the ignition on, the glow plug control module immediately energizes the glow plugs. The glow plug control module uses the engine coolant temperature, barometric pressure sensor and environmental temperature sensor to determine how long the glow plugs stay energized. The required time for the glow plugs to be energized decreases as the coolant temperature, barometric pressure and environmental temperature increase.

Switch the ignition on. Do not start the engine until the glow-plug indicator turns off.

When the glow plug pre-heat indicator turns off, turn the key to start. After you start the engine, the glow plugs may remain on for a period. If you do not start the engine before the glow plug activation time ends, you will need to reset the glow plugs by switching the ignition off. After the engine starts, allow it to idle for about 15 seconds. This protects the engine. Do not increase engine speed until the oil pressure gauge indicates normal pressure

Old 02-27-2020, 09:51 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by TeddyD
Diesel Engine Fast Start Glow Plug System

The diesel engine glow system consists of:
• Eight glow plugs (one per cylinder)
• Glow Plug Control Module
• Engine Coolant Temperature sensor
• Barometric pressure sensor
• Environmental temperature sensor
The powertrain and glow plug control modules electronically control the glow plug system. After you switch the ignition on, the glow plug control module immediately energizes the glow plugs. The glow plug control module uses the engine coolant temperature, barometric pressure sensor and environmental temperature sensor to determine how long the glow plugs stay energized. The required time for the glow plugs to be energized decreases as the coolant temperature, barometric pressure and environmental temperature increase.

Switch the ignition on. Do not start the engine until the glow-plug indicator turns off.

When the glow plug pre-heat indicator turns off, turn the key to start. After you start the engine, the glow plugs may remain on for a period. If you do not start the engine before the glow plug activation time ends, you will need to reset the glow plugs by switching the ignition off. After the engine starts, allow it to idle for about 15 seconds. This protects the engine. Do not increase engine speed until the oil pressure gauge indicates normal pressure
this is for the key start models

a lot of 17’s and up have push button to start models

Old 02-27-2020, 09:59 AM
darrellbarnes
Junior User
Page 175 of the owners manual has a little more info. All the above is mostly correct. In addition, at very low temps, the throttle will be disabled for 30 seconds to allow engine oil to circulate. Recommendation in the manual is to allow the engine to warm up several minutes if -15 ° F. But definitely a new ballgame with the modern glow plugs. Coming from a 2005 6.0 its night and day.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:34 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz

Foot on the brake and press start. If a delay is required the PCM will handle it. Same as remote starting the PCM will take care of it.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:02 AM
Frank79
More Turbo
Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
My truck is a 19 with key start. every morning I get the glow plug icon in the dash. It last for about 2-3 seconds then disappears, so I crank her on up. What I have noticed is if the truck sits for about 3-4 hours I dont get the glow plug icon. Im assuming the engine is warm enough to where the glow plugs dont need to ignite.

My remote start is a different story. some mornings the truck cranks up instantly others there is a 2-3 delay.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:05 AM
TeddyD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by speakerfritz

I have a push start button. Hit it once and it’s in accessory mode, hold brake and hit it again and it starts. It’s the same as putting the key to the accessory position then turning all the way to start. It’s the same thing. Lol

Old 02-27-2020, 11:06 AM
TeddyD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by darrellbarnes
Page 175 of the owners manual has a little more info. All the above is mostly correct. In addition, at very low temps, the throttle will be disabled for 30 seconds to allow engine oil to circulate. Recommendation in the manual is to allow the engine to warm up several minutes if -15 ° F. But definitely a new ballgame with the modern glow plugs. Coming from a 2005 6.0 its night and day.
Mostly correct??? What’s incorrect?

Old 02-28-2020, 09:00 AM
DisplacedFlatlander
New User
I have a 19 with push button. We hit -40° A few times this winter (pick your units as you desire). Foot on the brake, press start. The start will automatically delay if glow plugs are required and then start when they are no longer required.

just saved you an additional button push

Originally Posted by TeddyD
I have a push start button. Hit it once and it’s in accessory mode, hold brake and hit it again and it starts. It’s the same as putting the key to the accessory position then turning all the way to start. It’s the same thing. Lol

Quick Reply: Glow Plug Warm Up? - 2019 6.7