2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Trailer camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 10:41 PM
adbscu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer camera

Hi,

recently changed horse trailer and now need to attach the camera: wife doesn’t want to drill into the roof/sides. Is there a really strong adhesive tape that would work? Trailer is outside all year (California) and don’t mind redoing it every 6mo or more.

i would still secured the camera with a cable so in case of failure it doesn’t fall off

Old 02-18-2020, 11:26 PM
JVburg
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Eternabond DoubleStick. Not cheap, but good stuff!

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-19-2020, 12:03 AM
Horseshoes1976
New User
Do you have anything steel to use a magnet to mount your camera? I've used a Trailer Eyez setup (in the past) and used a magnet instead of their cheap c-clamp setup.
​​

Old 02-19-2020, 08:32 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've got some 3M double sided automotive tape that I've used to attach small accessories here and there on past vehicles that I know holds forever. The only way to separate the device you tape up is to cut the tape in half, then use a razor blade to scrap the residual tape off. But even with that, I don't know if I'd trust something fragile like a camera that can be damaged just by banging around, even if it's attached with a cable. Instead, I'd be looking at alternative ways to mount it. What about getting a bracket formed that can clamp around something on the trailer? I don't know what the back your horse trailer looks like, but based on a few I've seen on the roads, I sure there's a way to form a bracket back there.

For example, something like this, you could make a two sided bracket that clamps around the centre support pole:

Ok, if it's like this, you can make a U-shaped bracket that goes over the door, and is clamped in by the fact the door is closed:

Or, something like this, then a just a couple of 2x4's to keep it simple, or some metal strapping to be more durable, one on either side of the door, with some lag bolts through the open gaps to sandwich them to the door.

Or, if all else fails, you've also got the license plate bracket you can probably fashion a bracket for, to hold both the plate and the camera. Or something off the bumper. There's lots of possibilities. Just need to take a different look at things.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:00 PM
powersrp
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kaadk
I've got some 3M double sided automotive tape that I've used to attach small accessories here and there on past vehicles that I know holds forever. The only way to separate the device you tape up is to cut the tape in half, then use a razor blade to scrap the residual tape off. But even with that, I don't know if I'd trust something fragile like a camera that can be damaged just by banging around, even if it's attached with a cable. Instead, I'd be looking at alternative ways to mount it. What about getting a bracket formed that can clamp around something on the trailer? I don't know what the back your horse trailer looks like, but based on a few I've seen on the roads, I sure there's a way to form a bracket back there.

For example, something like this, you could make a two sided bracket that clamps around the centre support pole:

Ok, if it's like this, you can make a U-shaped bracket that goes over the door, and is clamped in by the fact the door is closed:

Or, something like this, then a just a couple of 2x4's to keep it simple, or some metal strapping to be more durable, one on either side of the door, with some lag bolts through the open gaps to sandwich them to the door.

Or, if all else fails, you've also got the license plate bracket you can probably fashion a bracket for, to hold both the plate and the camera. Or something off the bumper. There's lots of possibilities. Just need to take a different look at things.

in reality your probably going to have to drill holes, im going through the same thing with my legend trailer, im moving the antenna off the camera to a bracket at front of trailer to eliminate possible signal lost, ive been trying many diff 3 m tapes, and i dont trust them, weather, weight and vibration will cause them to come off, use aluminum to aluminum brackets and a light coating of antiseize on both pieces. stainless screws, look good long time

Old 02-23-2020, 08:50 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by adbscu
Hi,

recently changed horse trailer and now need to attach the camera: wife doesn’t want to drill into the roof/sides. Is there a really strong adhesive tape that would work? Trailer is outside all year (California) and don’t mind redoing it every 6mo or more.

i would still secured the camera with a cable so in case of failure it doesn’t fall off
If you have the 360 camera on your '17 SD you can use the plug n play Ford trailer camera that integrates with your existing camera system. Under $300 bucks street price, comes with 49 feet of cable, camera etc, you can also get an optional model that comes with the trailer TPMS system.

Just installed the Ford unit in my truck for my RV.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:17 AM
Brother_Bluto
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on your trailer marker light setup, LCI has a wireless camera that replaces a red marker light.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:21 AM
powersrp
Senior User
i dont mind drilling holes, its a $7500 enclosed cargo trailer, it will stay on trailer if sold, all my lights are led in counter sunk pockets, not sure what lci has to offer, ill google them. i know lci was the rapid camp controller on our motor home, a real piece of crap