Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Adding a lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 12:03 PM
Offshore_Outlaw
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a lift pump

So I don’t have any fuel supply issues, but I did do the hutch mod a while back and installed an in-line water separator with a bowl... I work on construction equipment and had an extra water sep/fuel filter pump assembly laying around and I installed it. It’s been working just fine with no problem but It has a pump on top of the housing and I’m thinking, should I run power to it to help pull fuel through the filter and feed the original fuel pump ? Couldn’t hurt right ?
The filter is a Baldwin 7950-D
15 Micron
99% Efficiency

Old 12-29-2019, 08:52 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
If your stock pump is having to pull fuel through a non-running pump it could be a restriction, but if you don't get any pressure loss under full load I'd leave it alone. Only way to know you're not loosing pressure is with a gauge. The stock pump is designed to suck so adding any inlet pressure is changing things, too much pressure and there might be a problem. If that pump can supply the engine I'd run it once in a while just so it doesn't get stuck and leave it as a back-up in case the stock pump dies on the road.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:17 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
I agree with '88 E-350, the stock pump will do just fine.

For my Hutch mod I used a Baldwin filter that went down to 4 microns without issue with the stock fuel pump and stock injectors.

IMO more pieces is more chance for failure.

Just my .02

Old 12-31-2019, 05:33 PM
Offshore_Outlaw
Junior User
Great info, the filter is 15 micron and I change the fuel bowl one and the Baldwin every other oil change
the Baldwin has some debris in the bottom but fuel bowl filter was paper white. I’ll leave it alone.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:41 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 797 Likes on 586 Posts
What filter do you have? Got a pic?

Old 01-01-2020, 07:34 AM
Offshore_Outlaw
Junior User

BALDWIN BF7950-D 15 micron
The other option is BF7949-D which is 4 micron
same shape and size etc

Old 01-01-2020, 09:21 AM
ajbrown208
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great question and great suggestions too. If you do run power to the pump to run it every once in a while, install a on/off switch, or even a momentary to bump it every once in a while.

Old 01-01-2020, 03:33 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 796 Likes on 607 Posts

Many years ago, I migrated my fuel pump the end of the fuel pickup in the fuel tank itself. It was the single best modification that anyone could have done for these trucks. ZERO air contamination in the fuel supply. Engine pulls like an angry elephant all day long.

Old 01-01-2020, 05:08 PM
Offshore_Outlaw
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead

Many years ago, I migrated my fuel pump the end of the fuel pickup in the fuel tank itself. It was the single best modification that anyone could have done for these trucks. ZERO air contamination in the fuel supply. Engine pulls like an angry elephant all day long.
wow very nice
looks well done

Old 01-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,855 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
It was the single best modification that anyone could have done for these trucks.
I beg to differ sir, but would say zero air in the fuel system is top 5, maybe top 3... Not #1 though...

We are all welcome to our own opinions though and appreciate you sharing yours with all of us.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:46 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,375 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Dance music pauses...

Then Sous calmly sings his #1 mod...

"I'm SXE and I know it"

Dance music resumes...

Old 01-02-2020, 06:11 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Dance music pauses...

Then Sous calmly sings his #1 mod...

"I'm SXE and I know it"

Dance music resumes...

that is hilarious!!

Hey Kwikk!! Long time no see. How are things?

Old 01-02-2020, 07:54 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,855 Posts
What is really funny is that the original song is by a duo called "LMFAO"...

And my hair is known to look this crazy since I retired from active duty service and no one tells me what to do with my hair any longer...

Seriously though, the H/H mod is a great mod and it is definitely near the top of my list. I don't think I would put it at the top, but that is just me. It made the engine idle much more quiet, I can fit 32 gallons of fuel in the OEM tank to go along with the 45 gallons in the auxiliary tank. The fuel port does not puke fuel all over my shoes each time it is filled up. The fuel port was widened in order to accept commercial diesel fuel pump nozzles. The pump runs until it is done, not stopping when the foam from the fuel hits the nozzle and shuts off early. Then you take 10 minutes squeezing more fuel in because the tank is not even close to being full. Installing an external filter is a genius idea and allows me to check it whenever I want within a few seconds. I usually empty it once a year because there is crap sitting in the bottom of the filter.

I cannot understand why anyone would put a lift pump in the tank after removing the parts in the tank that allow you not to revisit that part of the truck. The OEM fuel pump provides enough fuel for a truck that runs ~400 HP and sometimes beyond. A simple FP gauge will tell the owner of the truck if they require an upgraded fuel pump. At that point, dual fuel pumps could be ran and still leaving the in tank portion very simple thereby eliminating the need to get back in the tank... EVER...

I see the world differently than most do though, so that is why an in tank pump IS NOT at the top of my list, but the H/H is squarely in the top 3 or at least the top 5.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:48 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
I've lived the long road of using the Baldwin pre-pump filter (the one sold by many as part of the H&H kit), as well as the Carter lift pump between the pre-pump filter and the stock pump suction inlet. From my experiences and lessons learned, I now run the Racor PS120 in place of the Baldwin and there is NO LONGER a lift pump between the PS120 and the stock pump suction inlet.

Over the course of the 8-10 years I ran the originally described "upgraded" configuration (Baldwin plus Carter), I had to replace the Carter pump twice, and remain convinced that my OEM pump's death was earlier than it should have been due to the run periods of extra load imposed on the stock pump's suction when the Carter pumps died.

You see, the fuel pumps used on our diesels are generally (if not always) positive displacement pumps with tight internal clearances, and they generally create excess pressure drop when you have to pull through the non-operating pump.

When the lift pump runs, though, there is no problem, and it actually boosts the pressure on the discharge of your stock pump. Good, right? Yes, and no. Whatever additional pressure you gain by running a lift pump ends up getting lost (more accurately, thrown away) once the fuel gets to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel bowl in the valley.

So, you may end up feeling better by knowing that the lift pump is boosting your fuel pressure from the stock pump (I know that I felt better -- before the sum of the experience). The bottom line for me is that I've not yet seen or heard of a lift pump scenario where the lift pump outlives the stock pump, and WHEN the lift pump doesn't run, it will most likely result in undue strain on the stock pump which will shorten the stock pump's life.

YMMV

Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 796 Likes on 607 Posts
Originally Posted by roostercrows
that is hilarious!!

Hey Kwikk!! Long time no see. How are things?
Doing well, thank you for asking.

Quick Reply: Adding a lift pump