1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1997 F250 introduction/questions - fuel leak - transmission shifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 09:07 PM
drewduncan15
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F250 introduction/questions - fuel leak - transmission shifts

So I’m normally over on the 73-79 forums.

Just recently bought a 1997 F-250 7.3 E4OD 4.10 194k miles super cab long bed truck from the eastern desert/dry land of Oregon. Shipped it to Ohio. 100% rust free and original paint and interior. Thought I’d keep it and use it through the winter (fluid film sealed) and possibly use it to haul other trucks I buy home.

i’m much more knowledgeable on older gas engines and have a basic understanding of diesels with no real experience on working on them. Have had a 6.9 and 7.3 IDI previously. This is my first powerstroke.

My first issue: I have a fuel leak somewhere on the top end of the engine. I just changed the fuel filter but it was there before and after. Is there anywhere I should be looking first? Before just tearing in to try to find the leak.
picture:

so I’ve changed the oil Rotella 15-40. Just tonight I dropped the transmission pan and drained the torque converter. Tranny fluid looked pretty good. Put in valvoline synthetic. also put in a new vehicle speed sensor.

The truck has been shifting from 1st to 2nd a bit harder than I think is normal. It’s nothing extreme, and sometimes it’s great. But at times when your slightly on it it grabs 2nd a bit hard. I had hoped the speed sensor would fix it but it didn’t chance. Then did the tranny service and still seems to be the same. Could this be somewhat normal and nothing to worry about? Anything else I should be looking at? Do believe the truck sat quite a bit in the last 2-3 years.

I also just ditched the factory exhaust with a cat and muffler for a 3” down pipe and 4” straight pipe.
this system: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEP-K4307A-RP

instillation wasn’t as simple as I hoped. Are some things slightly different on 97 trucks, being right before the body change? The exhaust mount hangers weren’t correct. But some welding and fitting made it all work.

one huge note: after installing I took it for a drive and had terrible cab engine noise. Sounded like a darn jack hammer up there. Turned out the down pipe was touching the under cab insulation at the seam. Ended up cutting the seam and folding it down. Didn’t cut into the actual cab. (Had to make clearance) sounds like it did before now.

so In summary: where’s my fuel coming from, and should I worry about my shifting or is there anything else I should do?

Here is the truck

Old 12-07-2019, 09:59 PM
96SD
More Turbo
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts
Wow. Really nice truck. I'm new to Powerstrokes too. A lot of guys here step up to efuel to end those fuel leaks. Plus it open up the valley a whole bunch.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:56 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 535 Likes on 258 Posts
A few places to look for the fuel leak. The hoses on the front of the fuel pump get hard from the engine heat and will crack and leak. The fuel restriction sensor on the fuel bowl will develop a leak. That is about a 40 dollar fix, or you can remove it and plug the hole with a 1/8" pipe plug. If you go this route, be very careful on how tight you go, as you can crack the housing. The fuel pump has a weep hole on the bottom side, and if the pimp is going south you will see fuel there. Check with a mirror. Beautiful truck by the way.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:18 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,193 Likes on 819 Posts
Don't throw money at the stock fuel system, go E fuel.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:18 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,193 Likes on 819 Posts
Oh nice truck by the way, and Welcome to the dark side.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,217 Likes on 992 Posts
Thumbs up

My Diamond Eye also needed some tweaking of the brackets, but I cannot complain for sub $300 for a stainless kit. Husky Liners makes floor mats exactly in the shape we need for these trucks, grab a set to protect your floors. They are about $80 retail.

Your fuel mechanical system leaks and this is common. You can leave it alone and just waste money due to fuel loss or fix it. I would never fix another OE setup again, the amount of time and effort involved makes it silly.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...purchased.html

Old 12-08-2019, 10:37 AM
drewduncan15
Tuned
Is the leak just the way she goes? I’m hoping it’s just a cracked hose or something simple.

I could go the Efuel route but would rather not spend the money if I can get the stock one to not leak.

any areas I should look to first that are the most probe to leaking?

Old 12-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Pretty much everyone of these I have seen in the past few years leaks fuel there (aside from the maintained trucks). Why it has it is beyond me. Electric fuel systems have been on trucks since the 80s

I tried repeatedly to make mine stop leaking. My fuel filter bowl was actually corroded as this truck sat for years and was neglected at the end. I installed a new pump, new Viton hoses as I use Bio in my truck often, etc and the thing still leaked. I think you might be able to make yours stop leaking for a few hundred plus your time, time is money in the end. Consensus seems to be Carter fuel pump/Alliant/OE Motorcraft only. Alliant/OE hoses. Give it the old college try on the filter assembly, the seals you can find at Riffraff or Diesel Orings.com

Efuel has many more benefits than just no leaks. Superior filtration. Constant pressure. Ease of service. I made that install thread to help any and all new folks like I was to this platform in Q3 2017. If I had known that kit was available then, I would have ordered it. All the others had extra nonsense I just have no use for and never will. Billet filter housing? Aeromotive regulator? No use to me.

Either way since the truck is new, you would be wise to replace the vacuum pump with new as they fail at random and the high side PS hose. Both nearly stranded me.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:37 AM
drewduncan15
Tuned
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Pretty much everyone of these I have seen in the past few years leaks fuel there (aside from the maintained trucks). Why it has it is beyond me. Electric fuel systems have been on trucks since the 80s

I tried repeatedly to make mine stop leaking. My fuel filter bowl was actually corroded as this truck sat for years and was neglected at the end. I installed a new pump, new Viton hoses as I use Bio in my truck often, etc and the thing still leaked. I think you might be able to make yours stop leaking for a few hundred plus your time, time is money in the end. Consensus seems to be Carter fuel pump/Alliant/OE Motorcraft only. Alliant/OE hoses. Give it the old college try on the filter assembly, the seals you can find at Riffraff or Diesel Orings.com

Efuel has many more benefits than just no leaks. Superior filtration. Constant pressure. Ease of service. I made that install thread to help any and all new folks like I was to this platform in Q3 2017. If I had known that kit was available then, I would have ordered it. All the others had extra nonsense I just have no use for and never will. Billet filter housing? Aeromotive regulator? No use to me.

Either way since the truck is new, you would be wise to replace the vacuum pump with new as they fail at random and the high side PS hose. Both nearly stranded me.

Thanks, great response. After cleaning everything up and letting it run i can see its coming slowly from the fuel pump back where the bolt holds on the two lines. i'll see if the bolt needs tightened up, but i'm sure its more than that. Will probably go the efuel route soon.

Had to pull my transmission pan off last night since it was leaking after reinstalling. My stock pan without a drain plug made that fun. The front bolt holes were indented and creating a hard surface to seal. Ended up ordering a new pan with a drain and what looks to be a very good gasket. Hopefully that first shift smooths out with some more driving.

Thanks all.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Banjo Bolt is what you have leaking..

https://www.dieselorings.com/6-055-b...kage-of-2.html

Old 12-10-2019, 09:36 AM
drewduncan15
Tuned
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
Banjo Bolt is what you have leaking..

https://www.dieselorings.com/6-055-b...kage-of-2.html
Yeah, i tightened it maybe 1/12th of a turn last night. Couldn't run it last night to see if it was still leaking. (tranny pan off) I'll take it apart and inspect if its still leaking. Could be an easy fix. Thanks

Old 12-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Got my fingers crossed all you need are those crush washers!

Old 12-10-2019, 06:56 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are some little crush washers that go on either side of the banjo bolt. You can re seal the entire fuel system for about 75 bucks, including new hoses and clamps from the bowl, fuel bowl reseal kit, and everything else. I have my motor out so it's easy to get to. I cant afford e fuel now, but when I do my full rebuild, it will make the list. The seals and o rings are cheap, it's the time it takes to remove and clean everything. I would chance to bet that the sleeves on the fuel lines at the back of the head are trash and leaking too.