Military Campground, Commissaries, etc access expanded

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 11:45 AM
rvpuller
Received 472 Likes on 305 Posts
I wish 50 years ago we had better hearing protection and was forced to use it and told that the damage that hours in engine room noise would be with me the rest of my life both from tinnitus and hearing loss but at 19 you think you are bullet proof, it's called young and dumb. Now I kicking myself for not getting help years ago for my hearing problems but now I'm working my way through the VA bureaucracy for hearing aids. Anymore I will take any benefit for my time in service that I'm entitled to.

Denny

Old 11-24-2019, 09:55 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,155 Likes on 2,859 Posts
This is my son's first year in the Army. He has started shopping at the PX. He was there looking at some tools and got me on the phone to help him figure out what he needed. The prices there were better than anything I could find on the Internet. I don't begrudge military members access to the PX one bit. The military pay isn't much, so any benefit that lowers costs is a good thing.

Now, about access to the military campgrounds, is there any chance that it extends to the parents of military members? We've taken our Boy Scout troop to a couple bases here in Colorado that have primitive camping areas with vault toilets but no running water. We had to have an active duty or retired military member with us to get that access. We always had at least a couple dads that qualified so it wasn't a problem. Those campouts were some of the more relaxing for us adults. We could let the kids explore and there wasn't anyone for them to bother. As long as they stayed away from the artillery practice field.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UNLESS your son is with you you can't use the military campground facilities.
Several years back I sponsored a friend - I booked two adjacent campsites (during a quiet long weekend).

Old 11-24-2019, 10:25 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,155 Likes on 2,859 Posts
Originally Posted by Army RET
UNLESS your son is with you you can't use the military campground facilities.
Several years back I sponsored a friend - I booked two adjacent campsites (during a quiet long weekend).
That's what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation. I'll have to remind my son of this benefit. He's very much into camping. He especially likes winter camping. I taught him well.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:12 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 396 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
way up there on the disability % myself. Would rather have that kidney back please.

Anyway the commissary is about the best benefit anymore unless you are overseas, then everything else is helpful.

When we were stationed in Hawaii though, the pearl harbor navy exchange is where we shopping all the time, could not afford to shop in town.

Hickam AFB for the commissary and the NEX for everything else.
That's the way it was for everyone I knew when I was at Pearl. They moved our destroyer squadron there in 91.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Price wise I don't believe our commissary is much different than our Wally World; the one thing that I do shop at the commissary for is meat; I prefer commissary meat (beef/ pork) over Walmart.
Otherwise (as Walmart is closer) I pick up most items there.

The very best item (for me) is the Pharmacy; its free. Of course there's high demand here so the wait can be irksome.

Our local mil. campground (somewhat rustic) is $13.50 night (with the national senior pass), but doesn't offer sewer connections. There is a single dump site at entrance/ exit.
This past July? we stayed at another mil site (Destin, Fl), it was about $35 night. Fancy place.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:50 AM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
I spent some time in Arkansas a few years back visiting family and stayed at Fort Chaffee. It cost me $5.00 a night for electric, water, and sewage.

We used to go up to Pendleton all the time when I was in SOCAL. we really liked San Onofree Beach area, current prices are $45.00 a night full hook ups.

I also used to like to stay at Admiral Baker Recreation $40.00 a night for full hook ups and $18.00 in the overflow.

Cliffside on Whidbey Island is really nice, me and the wife spent a week up there after I had my shoulder replaced, $40.00 a night.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Edd505
More Turbo
Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts
Multi trips into Nam 80% and this could be very helpful to me, especially the camp grounds as I am about 3/4 time. There is always a Wally World not far away, not so exchanges.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:59 PM
Blasko49
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While sympathetic I'm not yet convinced that a zero percent disability should be entitled to the same benefits as a 20-30 year vet.
Otherwise there is no incentive to remain in the service (and risk everything).

I also have strong feelings about those who successfully feign disabilities. Example: my neighbors (married couple) were both active duty pilots, drawing full flight pay up until they retired. They gamed the medical system and were awarded (I think 50%) disabilities. Today they are both flying as civilians.

They think I'm stupid for not claiming the same benefits.
Graduated from HS in 1967. Applied to a state school because they offered AFROTC and I wanted to be a pilot. My junior year the draft lottery awarded me #314. Would not have been drafted. Stayed in AFROTC when many others bailed. Became group commander of the detachment. Attended pilot training in 1972 which was the year the Air Force lost the most aircraft, and had the most aircrew members killed or captured.

Requested a SEA tour out of pilot training and got it. Dislocated a shoulder at survival school and couldn't meet the pipeline to SEA. In 1975 I was placed in harms way to evacuate Saigon and participate in the rescue of the Mayguez crew. Think I earned the right to shop at the BX.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:21 PM
Edd505
More Turbo
Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts
While sympathetic I'm not yet convinced that a zero percent disability should be entitled to the same benefits as a 20-30 year vet.
Otherwise there is no incentive to remain in the service (and risk everything).

I also have strong feelings about those who successfully feign disabilities. Example: my neighbors (married couple) were both active duty pilots, drawing full flight pay up until they retired. They gamed the medical system and were awarded (I think 50%) disabilities. Today they are both flying as civilians.

They think I'm stupid for not claiming the same benefits.
I don't believe there is a zero % service connected, I understand the ID card from the VA must say service connected or it's a no go.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:59 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Nearly everyone that ever served feels entitled; to include my brother in law (he got booted out of the navy),
He's attempting to get VA benefits (he was a smoker - both cigs and wacky tobaccy - and worked in the boiler room).

Old 12-28-2019, 12:13 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,588 Likes on 2,909 Posts
Originally Posted by Blasko49
Graduated from HS in 1967. Applied to a state school because they offered AFROTC and I wanted to be a pilot. My junior year the draft lottery awarded me #314. Would not have been drafted. Stayed in AFROTC when many others bailed. Became group commander of the detachment. Attended pilot training in 1972 which was the year the Air Force lost the most aircraft, and had the most aircrew members killed or captured.

Requested a SEA tour out of pilot training and got it. Dislocated a shoulder at survival school and couldn't meet the pipeline to SEA. In 1975 I was placed in harms way to evacuate Saigon and participate in the rescue of the Mayguez crew. Think I earned the right to shop at the BX.
Thank you for your service, but I will tell you flat out you are NOT missing anything in regards to shopping on any base.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:25 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,555 Likes on 1,109 Posts
PX/BX/Navy Exchange benefits in stateside are on par with other retailers and sometimes are very limited due to complaints from local retailers.

Where they shine is in remote locations or overseas.

While I was stationed in Hawaii, the NEX or Hickom AFB were the only places to shop. These areas are considered overseas tours therefore they had good prices and had many items as compared to stateside stores.

Somethings are still good, such as haircuts or cleaners though.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:05 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Edd505
I don't believe there is a zero % service connected, ...
Actually there is such a thing. It is used to document a service connected disability that is (currently) not severe enough to warrant compensation.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:04 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by First Dually
Actually there is such a thing. It is used to document a service connected disability that is (currently) not severe enough to warrant compensation.
I have several 0% in addition to my 30%. I still have to go back in try and get upgraded on my eyes and shoulder, Navy did Radial keratotomy and now I have a deformed cornea from that plus had to have my shoulder replaced last year.