Sponsored by: DP Tuner

NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 11:45 PM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts
NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

So I have a 2002 F250. I was getting an early headstart for an upcoming trip with the camp trailer. Started truck fine. Started to drive off, and it had no power. Just sputters. Got around the block and had to turn right back around and go home. Truck starts fine and seems to idle okay, but as soon as I give it a little gas it just sputters, and it looks like spits out some white smoke. Last time I drove it was Friday which it drove fine. I was thinking of the things I've done in the last few days just to get it ready for the trip. Pulled out the air filter just to lightly blow off any dust. Checked it again tonight, and it looked fine. Can't see that being the issue. Made sure clamps on turbo boots were snug which they were. Clamp really didn't budge at all. Took a mirror and looked around the boots and didn't see any tears. Other than checking that all fluids were good I just plugged in the block heater since my truck can be hard to start in cold weather sometimes.

Truck is showing no codes according to my OBDII reader. Any ideas on what to check? This is really setting me back on my trip, and would hate to miss it since I have friends relying on me to be there. Trying to do whatever I can here in the dark to get it figured out. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used Torque Pro to read what my ICP sensor was reading (says HPOP on the display). If this one is correct, it was reading around 500 at idle, and barely giving it any gass I saw it go up to 750. I really didn't try to go any higher since it was really sputtering and I didn't want to risk any damage until understanding this issue....

Old 10-16-2019, 11:54 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a fuel pressure problem. Either a weak pump, dirty filter, or a restriction somewhere. How much fuel is in the tank? If the pickup foot fell off, it’ll suck air at a 1/4 tank.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:05 AM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by The Brad
Sounds like a fuel pressure problem. Either a weak pump, dirty filter, or a restriction somewhere. How much fuel is in the tank? If the pickup foot fell off, it’ll suck air at a 1/4 tank.
The tank is full in preparation for the trip. I topped it off a couple of weeks ago, drove the camp trailer to Discount Tire (I guess it was last Saturday) to get new tires on the trailer, and then topped off the truck with a couple gallons on the way back home. Then just sat since Saturday in preparation for the trip. Truck ran fine Saturday. That is why this is a real bummer as I go to drive off tonight, and totally caught off guard.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:23 AM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
I drained the fuel bowl and then turned the key on (not to start) and fuel comes rushing out of the fuel bowl drain. So it appears to be getting fuel. I haven't checked the fuel filter yet, but I know it isn't that old.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:27 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 859 Likes on 626 Posts
X2 on fuel pump.

If your fuel came from an unusual source it could have been crap and the screens in the fuel tank got clogged.

But my money is on fuel pump.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:33 AM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
X2 on fuel pump.

If your fuel came from an unusual source it could have been crap and the screens in the fuel tank got clogged.

But my money is on fuel pump.
Read my post just before yours. I turn the key on with the fuel bowl drain open and fuel comes flowing out of it at a steady pace. So I'm thinking fuel pump should be okay.

I pulled the fuel filter out and it looked okay. Not all black. Looks pretty clean.

Truck starts up fine, idles fine, no real smoke at idle but as soon as I rev hard on it it sputters like crazy (no power) and puffs a lot of white smoke.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:55 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 859 Likes on 626 Posts
Ah well a solid sploosh from the fuel bowl drain is a good sign! That said a "steady pace" is relative. "Bull pissing on a flat rock" would inspire more confidence.

Inspect the underside of the harness that runs from driver side to square 42 pin harness. Can chafe on the valve cover and cause shorts.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:49 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I’m still thinking the fuel pump. I’m guessing you don’t have a fuel pressure gauge since you haven’t mentioned an actual pressure. Any fuel tank mods? Hutch/harpoon mod? You could take fuel cap off, remove connections from the (rear) intake of the pump and blow some air back into the tank. Since your profile say you have a hydra you could try a hotter tune (more fuel) if the sputtering disappears you can pretty much look at the fuel pump. Good luck

Old 10-17-2019, 06:59 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
I would suspect electrical related issues first, starting with any connections under the hood and that tin nut on the IPR. I had so many problems with that and the IPR itself. You mentioned your ICP; related to that is the IPR % (or DC) signal. If IPR % is changing and ICP isn't, there's an issue.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:51 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,900 Posts
There have been a couple instances that were exactly as you describe. The fuel pump would provide adequate flow for idling, even a fast idle, but not anything that required the wheels to move.

Both of those times I can remember it turned out to be a weak fuel pump, not a failed fuel pump. The pump acted normal, except when the operator was trying to move the truck. The most recent case of this was when a guy was trying to leave a campground.

@RV_Tech was one of them. If you would like to search for threads by him you will find a very similar problem being described.

Another reason we are leaning toward the fuel pump is because that is one of the few systems that will cause the symptoms you have and not cause the check engine light to come on.

Keep us posted and get a Bosch pump if you can.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:59 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 377 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
There have been a couple instances that were exactly as you describe. The fuel pump would provide adequate flow for idling, even a fast idle, but not anything that required the wheels to move.

Both of those times I can remember it turned out to be a weak fuel pump, not a failed fuel pump. The pump acted normal, except when the operator was trying to move the truck. The most recent case of this was when a guy was trying to leave a campground.

@RV_Tech was one of them. If you would like to search for threads by him you will find a very similar problem being described.

Another reason we are leaning toward the fuel pump is because that is one of the few systems that will cause the symptoms you have and not cause the check engine light to come on.

Keep us posted and get a Bosch pump if you can.
This is just happened on one the trucks at work. It would idle fine and had 60 pounds of pressure, but any throttle and the pressure would go to 15 or so and sputter and spit. This is where those FP gauges are worth their weight.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:41 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 459 Likes on 312 Posts
As suggested, a fuel pressure gauge is mandatory on this engine because it answers so many questions diagnostically.. When my pump failed at first it was an erratic sputter, then it became pronounced. Then I could idle, but barely move (it takes way more fuel to move than idle). So fuel delivery in my mind is the issue.. Mine got so bad that eventually I had almost nothing coming out of the fuel bowl drain. If I remember correctly, there is a given rate of fuel delivery from a good system that can actually be measured and a fuel pump is just an electric motor and motor tests are all the same. It is easier to test the pump, but given you find that good, I would go with the screen in the tank. I think, like everyone else here, when a diesel acts up fuel delivery is the first thought.

My two cents,

Steve

Old 10-17-2019, 11:32 AM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
Well I figured it out and quite embarrassed and mad at myself at the same time. When I pulled my air filter to clean the box and filter I wadded up a bunch of paper towels to block the intake from taking on dust. Well got sidetracked doing 20 different things to get ready for trip and forgot to take it out. Fortunately most of the wad was intact. I did pull off the intake boot and vacuumed any residual I saw. Runs like a champ now and I'm on my trip now. Feel so so stupid.right now..... Just glad all is okay now.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Thank-you for replying back.

It is hard to admit that we shot our selves in the foot. This gives future readers a pause when our trucks are acting up.... "What did I do to the truck and then it started running funny???"

Have a great and safe trip.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:48 AM
1leg
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to here you figured it out. We have all done dumb stuff to our trucks. Get a fuel pressure guage installed or atleast add the ability to check the pressure at the fuel bowl. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get mine. Good luck ont he trip!

Quick Reply: NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!