Sponsored by:

What Just Happened

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 06:24 PM
TexasHvySUV
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Just Happened

Okay, I’m stumped for the moment. Just pulled into our campsite and saw some white residue that was coming from under the hood. Opened the hood and this is what I found. No hot temp while running, no indication of anything wrong. Just this stuff all over the inside of the engine bay. Engine coolant is low (or non existent). Is that what’s going on...coolant leak?

Old 08-30-2019, 06:36 PM
jayjordon
Mountain Pass
Wow. I got nothing. It looks like possibly the additives from the coolant that boiled off but I can't speak for certain. If the coolant is gone you should have had the temp gauge pegged- it has happened to me...

Old 08-30-2019, 06:39 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 329 Likes on 250 Posts
looks like the typical 6.0 head gasket failure.

note the missing cap on your degas bottle ? that is where all the white stuff came from, its coolant that is pressurized from the blown gasket and blowing out of the degas bottle.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:41 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
no hot temp on the gauge because the sensor was dry due to a lack of coolant

Old 08-30-2019, 06:44 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
and its white because the oil cooler/egr failed, its coolant mixed with oil

Old 08-30-2019, 07:09 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ouch. That sure looks like the dreaded milkshake vomitus. Let the bulletproofing begin.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:43 PM
jayjordon
Mountain Pass
Well I was bone dry in my V10 ( pregnant wife and 3 yo daughter in AZ 110 degree heat, we ain't walking nowhere and I'll pop the motor first) and the gauge was pegged but cant speak about the temp sender is in a diesel. But at some point it should have pegged out...

Old 08-30-2019, 08:14 PM
RazorsEDGE
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah typical 6.0 oil cooler failure. Oil cooler plugged on the coolant side. Lack of coolant flow through the egr cooler cause it to rupture. If you don't start it again you may be lucky enough to save your head gaskets. Maybe not though depending on how long it went on. Bad thing is this could have been prevented with an egr delete and proper guages but an egr delete, oil cooler, and most likely head gaskets are in your future. When you get it fixed you need to get proper guages or a monitoring system like the edge insight.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:42 PM
TexasHvySUV
New User
Okay, I removed the top off of the degas bottle just prior to taking the pic. No coolant / water in oil. Was missing around a gallon and a half of coolant. I have been on the road hauling our 10K travel trailer since last week with about 1400 hard miles since we left. Refilled coolant to min level, ran motor and AC for 30 minutes. Only a small amount of coolant leaked. I’m thinking I may have a small leak on the radiator. Over the course of the trip, it has coated the inside of the engine bay then baking into what I found. Here is a pic of the bottom of the fan shroud laying on the ground and looking up.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:43 PM
TexasHvySUV
New User
Pic was after running it for 30 minutes

Old 08-30-2019, 08:45 PM
TexasHvySUV
New User
Also, I am egr deleted, bullet proofed with head gaskets replaced.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:50 PM
TexasHvySUV
New User
Agree with the better monitoring mentioned. I chose allocating those funds to a TPMS system and new tires for our travel trailer. Wish I had gone with the edge now. I do have FORScan and a wireless OBDII sending unit. However, that got stolen a few weeks ago which is why I now have over 1500 in a killer alarm and video monitoring system. Hope this trip doesn’t make me regret not getting the Edge Juice I’ve been eyeballin.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:08 PM
RazorsEDGE
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're deleted already unfortunately this looks like it'll be head gaskets. To puke coolant the system has to be getting over pressurized somehow. The only place it can come from if you're deleted is leaky head gaskets. When you had head gaskets done what kind of gaskets were used? Were the heads checked for flatness and cracks? Were they decked to be sure? A shop that skimps on checking the heads on the 6.0 will cause repeat failures every time.

BTW don't get the juice. No canned tunes on the 6.0. Get the insight and custom tunes from a reputable tuner with the SCT.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:10 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by TexasHvySUV
Also, I am egr deleted, bullet proofed with head gaskets replaced.
mine blew up 3 times after being studded and BPed…. those are only band aids and not cures.

sounds like your have convinced yourself it is not headgaskets but I doubt you are going to convinece your headgaskets of that.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:21 PM
TexasHvySUV
New User
So, if my head gaskets are toast, where would the “stuff” be coming from? The head gaskets were actually replaced by a ford dealership by the previous owner.

Thanks for the advice on the Edge Juice. I hadn’t completed my research yet so was unsure of the right monitoring choice. I have a SCT tune by Mad Matt’s Diesel in Aledo Texas. Have been using PSP Diesel out of Houston for oil bypass and general maintenance.

Quick Reply: What Just Happened