Sponsored by: Moser

Transmission shudder

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 08:28 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Transmission shudder

HI started talking about this in an existing post, but thought I’d continue here in my own thread. Long story short, my tranny shudder (2010 4.6 scab) is back after about 40k miles (currently 68,000 miles) and 7 years. Does anyone know a way the do a complete fluid change at home with a 6R80? I haven't found anyplace that shows if the torque converter can be drained. The posts I have seen, just say do a pan drop and filter change and let it go at that, or if you want to go further, you’ll need to try an exchange at the lines at the transmission cooler after the pan fluid exchange. Also, it there any way to see if the truck has the most current program installed for the transmission? I also plan on looking at the condition of the current fluid as soon as we take our grandkids back home this weekend.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:49 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
There is a software upgrade to the transmission.. You should check with FORD to see if you have that.. If it has not been upgraded in the past 90 days, then you probably do not have it.

There is no way to drain the converter. I removed the pan and cleaned / changed 5 quarts of fluid. I welded a 3/8 NF nut to the pan and installed a short bolt as a drain plug. I plan to change 5 quarts of trans fluid every year. Never will be 100%, but should keep the oil in very good condition..... about 13 quarts system total.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:59 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Thanks, I was thinking that I should go back to a Ford dealer to check. Also researching TSB’s and recalls, I found that it appears the torque converter should have been authorized to be replaced when I had it in under the original factory warranty. Not sure why it wasn’t done.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:40 PM
onegator
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add a little tube MR TRANNY SHUDDER FIX.
Put in my 2006 lincoln towncarabout 5years ago.
Still works like a champ. A pretty common thing.
Got on ebay, ordered several.
Also used in 1005 Chevy truck.

Hope you the best !!!

Old 08-21-2019, 10:08 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Originally Posted by onegator
Add a little tube MR TRANNY SHUDDER FIX.
Put in my 2006 lincoln towncarabout 5years ago.
Still works like a champ. A pretty common thing.
Got on ebay, ordered several.
Also used in 1005 Chevy truck.

Hope you the best !!!
Thanks for the tip. I did check the fluid and it looks dirty enough to change, not bright red, but rather brown. It was also low enough to not register on the dipstick, even though there are no leaks and the coolant looks good showing no intermixing of fluids. The stupid little dipstick cover was rusty enough that I wasn’t sure it was could be removed. Turns out it’s beefy enough to handle it, at least for now. I bought some fluid and plan on doing a complete change with a new filter. I plan on cycling new fluid into it as I let dirty fluid out at the cooler line. I just need to get my son-in-law to help out. I helped him do his Mercedes, so I’m sure he won’t mind helping me. Not sure if your Lincoln has the 6R80 transmission, but I may pick up some shudder fix fo the future. There seems to be TSB’s indicating a possible torque converter problem, but I can’t get the “stealer” to look into it without a service charge. Call me skeptical, but I think they just want to charge me, and not help me.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,230 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by unibody62
Thanks for the tip. I did check the fluid and it looks dirty enough to change, not bright red, but rather brown. It was also low enough to not register on the dipstick, even though there are no leaks and the coolant looks good showing no intermixing of fluids. The stupid little dipstick cover was rusty enough that I wasn’t sure it was could be removed. Turns out it’s beefy enough to handle it, at least for now. I bought some fluid and plan on doing a complete change with a new filter. I plan on cycling new fluid into it as I let dirty fluid out at the cooler line. I just need to get my son-in-law to help out. I helped him do his Mercedes, so I’m sure he won’t mind helping me. Not sure if your Lincoln has the 6R80 transmission, but I may pick up some shudder fix fo the future. There seems to be TSB’s indicating a possible torque converter problem, but I can’t get the “stealer” to look into it without a service charge. Call me skeptical, but I think they just want to charge me, and not help me.

The color of LV fluid is not an indicator of anything, it's the nature of the beast. If mine were shuddering then I'd definitely have it changed. I had mine done this spring just because I had reached my 90,000 mile mark and that was my line in the sand for tranny maintenance. I was expecting a flush and instead the dealer did a pan drop and filter change. Feels like new.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:07 AM
unibody62
More Turbo
Does anyone have any input on which brand filter to use? Should I go with Motorcraft again or is aftermarket or store brand ok? My one concern, aside from performance, is that cheaper filters may not stay put while the pan is reinstalled.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:18 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
any aftermarket filter from the local Auto Store should be fine. Don't take much to hold it in position while installing the pan.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:40 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
any aftermarket filter from the local Auto Store should be fine. Don't take much to hold it in position while installing the pan.
Okay, good enough. Thanks

Old 08-30-2019, 11:55 AM
unibody62
More Turbo
Latest news on the 6R80 shudder, I dropped the tranny pan, installed new filter and refilled it all. I was going to try and cycle new fluid in by disconnecting the line at the cooler and pumping in new fluid as the truck expelled the old. However, that didn’t work out as I couldn’t get the quick connect line off. I had even purchased a new metal removal tool, based on others recommendation. Took it out on a test drive and no change in the shudder problem. I decided to take a local transmission shop that has been in business for years and years. After consultation, I made an appointment for next week in order for them to give me their advice. They have a very good reputation, I’m just sorry that I didn’t take it there first. They told me the recommend 25,000 mile service on that transmission, not the 100k that Ford recommends. I’ll post the results of their diagnosis next week.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:38 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 758 Likes on 692 Posts
Cool, thanks for the update!

Old 09-13-2019, 05:34 AM
jhinalabama
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 11 model with a trans shutter also, mine shutters when coming to a stop. It's had the new flash and a OEM fluid and filter change. It still shutters and it slams into second gear at low speeds. I will be waiting to hear what the shop tells you.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:37 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jhinalabama
I have a 11 model with a trans shutter also, mine shutters when coming to a stop. It's had the new flash and a OEM fluid and filter change. It still shutters and it slams into second gear at low speeds. I will be waiting to hear what the shop tells you.
Probably a different issue than mine. I have always felt what may be a slight shudder when stopping, but figured it was just the quirk of the 6R80.

My visit to the transmission shop was somewhat disappointing, because the said they didn’t detect a problem on the test drive. I opted to have the transmission back flushed anyways, but disappointed that they wouldn’t use the fluid I had already purchased. I haven’t driven it enough at this point to pronounce it fixed, but it does seem okay. I will post updates later if it comes back.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,584 Likes on 1,061 Posts
Originally Posted by unibody62
I opted to have the transmission back flushed anyways
It is impossible to back flush a transmission. You can flush a transmission, but not back flush it. That is, unless you can make the engine run backwards.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:53 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
It is impossible to back flush a transmission. You can flush a transmission, but not back flush it. That is, unless you can make the engine run backwards.
I’m not a transmission expert, but they take the pan off and use a machine to flush it, or back flush as I understood them. In this way, the crap in the torque convertor gets flushed out. They told me that running the truck, opening the line at the cooler and simultaneously replacing lost fluid at the dipstick would not sufficiently flush it. But it’s possible I’m misunderstanding.

Quick Reply: Transmission shudder