Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Iola Show Sightings

Old 07-11-2019, 08:36 PM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Iola Show Sightings

Took a drive today to take in the mega car show in the pleasant burg if Iola. My usual show buddy wasn't able to join me so it was a solo run. Perfect weather and a robust swap roster made for a full day. Not too many Bonus Built trucks or parts. A couple of pics to prove it happened:

This last one seems oddly familiar like I've seen it before somewhere. Since the owner was nowhere to be found, we can only guess...

Old 07-11-2019, 09:24 PM
badger_hound
Elder User
badger_hound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.badger_hound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow, that 56 is a real beauty! I'm guessing that's not a stock color, but daaaang it looks great!

[edit... not the one with the 54 grill...]

Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 PM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
The pastel green was striking - and actually looked quite good to my eye. Almost a cotton candy color.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:01 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputation
That Isa nice 56. And I think it is a stock color.

That Coast Guard Panel truck.... I saw one like it in Kentucky in September 2017.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:06 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputation
That paint on the 56 looks like Meadow Mist Green

Old 07-12-2019, 05:42 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
Duane, you took the picture on my "bad" side. The fender damage is clearly visible. Did you happen to see the car parked next to mine? It was a stunning 1956 Monarch (Canadian Mercury).

The weather at Iola was the best I can remember. Usually it's so hot it's hard to get even half way through the swap meet venders. Yesterday we pretty much covered the whole thing! My youngest son and his wife were looking for parts for his 37 Chevy rumble seat coupe (another one of my Dad's cars). He found some real treasures, and I picked-up a horn and a control **** for my vacuum wipers. I'm going again today with some friends. It's supposed to be hotter though, and we may not be able to cover as much ground.

Sorry I missed you Duane. I saw the meadow mist green truck too. It was perfect and wondered if it belonged to someone on FTE. I saw almost no 48-52 F1's. We stopped at the Chrystal Cafe for some pie after a hard day of walking. Did you? If not, you should have!

Jim

Old 07-12-2019, 06:07 AM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
Actually, I didn't even notice the Merc - too interested in the panel truck. There were a few bits that followed me home as well. Wasn't aware of the Crystal Cafe but it looks like a treat for next time.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:25 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
The Chrystal Cafe is not to be missed. I've been going there every chance I get for over 30 years. When our kids were young, and we lived in Oshkosh, Iola was the place to go for cross country skiing. We always stopped at the Chrystal Cafe after skiing. I was too hard up in those days to spring for desserts, however. The pies are a more recent discovery.

I'm heading out now for another go at the Iola Car Show--and yes, I'm going to have another piece of pie!

Jim

Old 07-12-2019, 10:43 AM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
Duane, you didn't have to go alone, I'm pretty sure I know someone who would have road along

Well, not really. Don't have the money to blow, trying to save for the big PA trip. Also, I got stuck helping chopping and bagging hay all day, that was after spending over an hour fixing the tractor I normally use.

Jim, Iola is extremely hard to do all in one day. I've done it four times, the second from last time I got heat stroke. I got so damn sick. I've learned to freeze water bottles and carry them with me. The first half there's places to get water but once you get over the hill there's nothing. I drink the water I can before the hill and by the time I get to the other side my frozen water is mostly thawed and I can go on.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:17 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Bob, yesterday was a rare day for covering ground. We didn't (and couldn't) do today what we did yesterday. It was just too hot! Yesterday we concentrated on the swap meet. Today we spent more time looking at cars. The Monarch was back:

There were more people and cars today, and I did see some F1's. I also saw a beautifully done 53 panel.

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.