Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

O/T? Ford Schools booklet

Old 07-11-2019, 12:39 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
O/T? Ford Schools booklet

I found this old booklet in a box of engineering templates and tools that came from a friend of the family. I am familiar with trig tables but found it interesting that there were Ford Schools that issued them, I am assuming to their students. Booklet is 6-1/2 X 2-3/4 inches in size.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Very cool! I wouldn't doubt they passed them out to their engineers. Tables reduced problems with getting it off a slide rule. PS I did not once in my entire engineering career need the cosecant of an angle...

Old 07-12-2019, 09:05 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
I'd be curious to know if there's a copyright or publication date on that? Back in the day when Ford was promoting it's $5/day wage, which was about double the going rate at the time, the worker's checks didn't just automatically have $5/day given to them. They were paid about half up front, the rest was a bonus they had to "earn", including them and their families going to school, become citizens if they weren't, and in home visits to ensure they were practicing "clean living" which meant no drinking or carousing, wholesome family life, etc.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:16 AM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Good question Wayne and it was one of the first things I looked for when I found the booklet...nada. No date or any other description about the intended use or who printed the booklet.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
They were paid about half up front, the rest was a bonus they had to "earn", including them and their families going to school, become citizens if they weren't, and in home visits to ensure they were practicing "clean living" which meant no drinking or carousing, wholesome family life, etc.
That was sometime in the 20s, wasn't it? It must have been a good deal even with mandatory square dance practice, so many people showed up to apply at the factory they basically had a riot, and had to be disbursed with fire hoses. In January. Michigan is damn cold in the wintertime, too. $5 a day doesn't sound like much today, but it was a pretty good wage. "Official" inflation statistics for comparison are a joke, a dollar went a long ways in those days. Detroit was one of the wealthiest cities in the world at the time, believe it or not.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:46 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
It was quite a bit before that, actually. 1914 was when the plan was implemented. At the time Ford was paying $2.30 for a 9 hour day, which was still good money compared to the average worker's wage of the time, but not enough to keep skilled people working at an increasingly difficult and monotonous assembly line job. https://www.thehenryford.org/explore...ive-dollar-day

Old 07-13-2019, 08:18 AM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant future
No doubt their machinists and electricians used those books too. About twelve years ago I took an engineering refresher course and a medium voltage safety course. Lots of trig in electrical. Both classes really blew out the cobwebs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.