2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

On vacation with the SD. Some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:45 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Norris McCarty
I have an identical truck and the identical vibration. I had installed 35 12.50 18 Rdge Grapplers on Method wheels. I too much prefer the custom tire/wheels to the factory 20s. I even ordered some centric rings to tighten the wheel to hub fit.....to no avail. I finally bought some 285 75 18 Ridge Grapplers and installed them on some powdercoated factory steel wheels.....still have the same vibration. I’ve had this latest combination road forced balance 3 times at 3 different places. In my case I don’t believe that the wheels and tires are the problem.
I absolutely love everything about my truck except this bothersome vibration. As in your case, my passengers have never noticed it.
It would sure be nice if one of us could figure it out! My dealer is my brother....his techs have tried measuring drive line angles, alignments, driveshaft balancing and swapping tires and wheels but nothing has done any good.
Good luck! My truck now has 12000 miles. I’ll probably trade it for a 2020!
After rotating and driving the truck this morning, first impression is I didn't feel the vibrations. The drive home may be a different story. That is how random it seems to be. All I did was put rear tires straight forward and the fronts were crossed to the opposite rears.I also lowered the pressure to 55 lbs front and rear. They were at 60/65. I suppose it could still be pinion angle as there is no load in the bed. But I did feel it before the trip unloaded. The difference going home will be the outside temperature and if that has any bearing on it. I definitely don't want to chase it like I have on previous trucks. I had a V10 Excursion once that I spent a lot of money and time on trying to get rid of a nagging driveline vibration. It disappeared with the rear shaft removed. I changed transfer case, rebuilt the rear-end, had a custom CV driveshaft made, etc. It never changed. Ended up selling it. The Dodge duallies are fighting vibrations. My father in law watched a video where one guy isolated it to the rear spring pack and something about "tuning" them? Good luck with yours as well. If it doesn't get better then I may have to get a Tremor next year.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:53 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,718 Likes on 2,755 Posts
Originally Posted by dave91gt
After rotating and driving the truck this morning, first impression is I didn't feel the vibrations. The drive home may be a different story. That is how random it seems to be. All I did was put rear tires straight forward and the fronts were crossed to the opposite rears.I also lowered the pressure to 55 lbs front and rear. They were at 60/65. I suppose it could still be pinion angle as there is no load in the bed. But I did feel it before the trip unloaded. The difference going home will be the outside temperature and if that has any bearing on it. I definitely don't want to chase it like I have on previous trucks. I had a V10 Excursion once that I spent a lot of money and time on trying to get rid of a nagging driveline vibration. It disappeared with the rear shaft removed. I changed transfer case, rebuilt the rear-end, had a custom CV driveshaft made, etc. It never changed. Ended up selling it. The Dodge duallies are fighting vibrations. My father in law watched a video where one guy isolated it to the rear spring pack and something about "tuning" them? Good luck with yours as well. If it doesn't get better then I may have to get a Tremor next year.
It sounds like you already have a "tremor".

Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Norris McCarty
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by HRTKD
It sounds like you already have a "tremor".
LOL! I think a lot of people are already driving "Tremors" and just don't notice it

Old 07-15-2019, 06:40 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,718 Likes on 2,755 Posts
I'm still running the OEM wheels and tires, without any post-purchase rebalancing. My truck is quite smooth. The first few months there was a bit of a vibration but either it went away or I'm used to it now (unlikely, I'm too OCD for that).

Old 07-15-2019, 10:44 PM
jred2255
Mountain Pass
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Having the exact same issue with my 2019 F350 CCSB 4x4 6.7 Platinum...
Bought the truck a couple weeks ago and 300 miles later i had 295/65/20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's installed on factory wheels. Maybe i wasn't paying enough attention until i picked the truck up after installing the new tires but i have the exact vibration you are describing above. Kicks in around 42mph and all the way up to 70mph, worse when under moderate to full throttle. Full throttle i can feel it in my seat and see the side mirrors vibrating from it. Had the tires re-balanced by a guy i trust and he said they were waaay out of balance. But that didn't changed anything, still vibrates the same. Very much feels like a driveline vibration.
The truck is at the Ford dealership now, of course they re-balanced the tires and still feel it. They're pulling a set of stock wheels/tires off another Super Duty on the lot tomorrow and swapping to my truck, so we'll see if that fixes it. At this point i would be relieved if it is the tires.I'll keep you posted.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jred2255
Having the exact same issue with my 2019 F350 CCSB 4x4 6.7 Platinum...
Bought the truck a couple weeks ago and 300 miles later i had 295/65/20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's installed on factory wheels. Maybe i wasn't paying enough attention until i picked the truck up after installing the new tires but i have the exact vibration you are describing above. Kicks in around 42mph and all the way up to 70mph, worse when under moderate to full throttle. Full throttle i can feel it in my seat and see the side mirrors vibrating from it. Had the tires re-balanced by a guy i trust and he said they were waaay out of balance. But that didn't changed anything, still vibrates the same. Very much feels like a driveline vibration.
The truck is at the Ford dealership now, of course they re-balanced the tires and still feel it. They're pulling a set of stock wheels/tires off another Super Duty on the lot tomorrow and swapping to my truck, so we'll see if that fixes it. At this point i would be relieved if it is the tires.I'll keep you posted.
Good luck and curious to what you figure out.
I had a set of Terra Grappler G2's installed on our old 2015 Expedition. It too developed a very similar problem our trucks are having. It was just a lower speed range. It was horrible between 40-45 mph. Noisy, high pitched humming. In that case it was the tires. After fighting with the tire shop, I took it to Ford for road force balance. The readouts on 3 of the 4 were in the red. They were "balanced" but had bad numbers. The dealer put the two worst on the rear and I kept them until we traded it a year later. My truck was quiet yesterday after the rotation but I expect it will return.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:52 PM
jred2255
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by dave91gt
Good luck and curious to what you figure out.
I had a set of Terra Grappler G2's installed on our old 2015 Expedition. It too developed a very similar problem our trucks are having. It was just a lower speed range. It was horrible between 40-45 mph. Noisy, high pitched humming. In that case it was the tires. After fighting with the tire shop, I took it to Ford for road force balance. The readouts on 3 of the 4 were in the red. They were "balanced" but had bad numbers. The dealer put the two worst on the rear and I kept them until we traded it a year later. My truck was quiet yesterday after the rotation but I expect it will return.
The dealership mounted a set of wheels and tires from another SD on the lot, went for a drive and said the vibration is completely gone. I haven't verified this myself but they had the same tech on it from start to finish so i'm optimistic that is the case.
I'm taking the truck back to discount tire tomorrow to get another set of Terra Grappler G2's on... i do like the tires and i really liked my Ridge Grapplers so hoping it was just a bad tire or set. I'll let you know.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:00 PM
jred2255
Mountain Pass
Well the fun continues.
Put on another NEW set of Nitto Terra Grappler G2's today at Discount Tire and the truck felt the same. Bad vibration from 60 -72pmh. I already had the stock Michelin tires in the bed and asked them to mount those when i got back from my test drive. Came back after the OEM tires had been mounted and the vibrations above 40mph were completely gone, which was the worst part of the vibration. However i do notice still some vibration under moderate throttle from 0 to 35 mph. Asked my brother to take ride around the block with me to tell me i'm not crazy.
I've owned four new diesel trucks (two ram, two ford) in the last 5 years and i know how they should drive.My other brother just bought a identical truck except Lariat trim, i'm going to go drive it tomorrow and see if i feel the same vibration.
Next stop is probably the Dealership.