Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Fuel filter housing replacement heater hook up question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 05:22 PM
Dieseloholic1
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel filter housing replacement heater hook up question

I have a 1985 f250 I was wondering how to hook up the heater for https://www.allpointsmarineco.com/racor-445r-445r12-445r24-series-diesel-spin-on-filter-separators-w-heater.html housing I was thinking about hooking it to the glow plug relay any advice is appreciated

Old 06-22-2019, 07:53 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
why not connect it same as the original ???

Old 06-22-2019, 10:18 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Should be an orange wire somewhere around the line from the mechanical pump up to the filter head. At least that's what my 85 has. I don't remember if it comes from the engine side harness or from the fender area.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:58 AM
Dieseloholic1
Tuned
That's awesome I had no idea these trucks had a heater I've had this truck for four years and always learning new stuff I'll find that wire later today any idea how long/when the heater on the orange wire runs?

Old 06-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieseloholic1
That's awesome I had no idea these trucks had a heater I've had this truck for four years and always learning new stuff I'll find that wire later today any idea how long/when the heater on the orange wire runs?
Looking at the diagram above, whenever the key is on.

Not that the heater is important at all as long as your temps are above the CFPP of the fuel you are using - so as long as you get winterized fuel in the truck before it gets below about 20F, or use the block heater, you'll be fine. I've had mine deleted for a few years now.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Dieseloholic1
Tuned
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Looking at the diagram above, whenever the key is on.

Not that the heater is important at all as long as your temps are above the CFPP of the fuel you are using - so as long as you get winterized fuel in the truck before it gets below about 20F, or use the block heater, you'll be fine. I've had mine deleted for a few years now.
That's good to know looks like I'll find that orange wire and hook that up my block heater is useless 99% of the time I live off grid so it's never plugged in when I'm home I do run cenex Roadmaster xl minimum 45 cetane fuel with hotshot secret EDT not using a block heater is why I want to get that housing

Old 06-24-2019, 12:22 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
I still have the old inline Heater along with the Heater in the Filter/water separator Assy ... both are disconnected right now but can be plugged in real quick if needed.

it's also my understanding that you need the run the heater at least 5 minutes before start when you in Cold Country.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Dieseloholic1
Tuned
Originally Posted by lonewolf_
I still have the old inline Heater along with the Heater in the Filter/water separator Assy ... both are disconnected right now but can be plugged in real quick if needed.

it's also my understanding that you need the run the heater at least 5 minutes before start when you in Cold Country.
So when you say run the heater 5 minutes do mean the fuel filter heater and inline and where do you have the disconnect wired also thank you for the information

Old 06-24-2019, 03:19 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
So when you say run the heater 5 minutes do mean the fuel filter heater and inline and where do you have the disconnect wired also thank you for the information
mine are disconnected right at the plugs... the one on top of the filter housing Oval shaped Black connector with Red/Green wire and the inline is disconnected with a spade connector into the same harness with a Red/Green wire.

there are 2 types of heaters used one style is on the line that goes from the Lift Pump to the filter housing the other style is in the top of the fuel filter housing.

the Line style heater was more common in the 6.9 older IDI engines and a few early 7.3 IDI engines most have been changed to just the one in the top of the filter housing.

they didn't come from the Factory with 2 heaters.... someone before me changed the Filter Housing to a later model, this is why I have 2 fuel heaters, but I don't need em in South Texas. so I disconnected them.

and yes turn on the ign so the heater can heat the fuel 5 minutes before start, as the fuel is cold to start with and the idea is to warm it up before starting.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:26 PM
Dieseloholic1
Tuned
mine are disconnected right at the plugs... the one on top of the filter housing Oval shaped Black connector with Red/Green wire and the inline is disconnected with a spade connector into the same harness with a Red/Green wire.

there are 2 types of heaters used one style is on the line that goes from the Lift Pump to the filter housing the other style is in the top of the fuel filter housing.

the Line style heater was more common in the 6.9 older IDI engines and a few early 7.3 IDI engines most have been changed to just the one in the top of the filter housing.

they didn't come from the Factory with 2 heaters.... someone before me changed the Filter Housing to a later model, this is why I have 2 fuel heaters, but I don't need em in South Texas. so I disconnected them.

and yes turn on the ign so the heater can heat the fuel 5 minutes before start, as the fuel is cold to start with and the idea is to warm it up before starting.
I gotcha I'll take a look tonight when I have sometime I know mine only has the inline heater it was built in 85 I can use all the help I can get in Montana with no block heater saw -25F this past winter and thank you for your time and help

Old 06-24-2019, 03:43 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
I gotcha I'll take a look tonight when I have sometime I know mine only has the inline heater it was built in 85 I can use all the help I can get in Montana with no block heater saw -25F this past winter and thank you for your time and help
you're Welcome

I would take that 5 minute time with a grain of salt, it's just been preached so many times at the Stealerships but I have never seen it in writing in any of the Owner's manuals, but it does make a bit of sense is Sub Zero weather.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Dieseloholic1
Tuned
you're Welcome

I would take that 5 minute time with a grain of salt, it's just been preached so many times at the Stealerships but I have never seen it in writing in any of the Owner's manuals, but it does make a bit of sense is Sub Zero weather.
Will do now I just gotta find a place that will take PayPal credit so I can financing it house building kills the wallet lol

Old 06-24-2019, 04:09 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Will do now I just gotta find a place that will take PayPal credit so I can financing it house building kills the wallet lol
I understand that one I'm disabled Vet and on SS Disability and after the bills are paid there ain't much left for toys

Old 06-24-2019, 04:12 PM
Dieseloholic1
Tuned
I understand that one I'm disabled Vet and on SS Disability and after the bills are paid there ain't much left for toys
I wish they paid you more than they do you definitely earned it thank you for your service!

Old 06-24-2019, 04:27 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Thanks, but actually it was my Honor to serve.....

I'm doing way better than a lot of folks at least my Home is Paid in Full

Quick Reply: Fuel filter housing replacement heater hook up question