Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Hard first start

Old 06-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Gtach
Freshman User
Gtach is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hard first start

I have a 93 f150 xlt,5.0 auto trans. I have to use starter fluid to get it going first thing in the morning but after that it's fine for the rest of the day. Runs great and starts fine until next morning I've had the truck for a week. The previous owner threw tons of new parts at it. He's been dealing with it for a couple of years. What's weird is the fuel pump runs for several minutes and never shuts off until I shut the key off. It should only run for a few seconds then shut off. It's definitely trying to start in a lean mode. The spark plugs are dry and doesn't smell off gas after I try to start it. The only thing the guy hasn't replaced is the ecm. Could this be the problem? Any help would be appreciated

Old 06-10-2019, 12:58 PM
jas88
Post Fiend
jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.
Have you tried cycling the key a few times to build up fuel pressure in the morning before you try to start the truck? Sounds like you are losing fuel pressure overnight.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Gtach
Freshman User
Yes I have. With all the testing I've done,theirs no reason for it not to start. And it has no codes other than 111

Old 06-10-2019, 01:03 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.
Usually these issues are related to the fuel delivery system. The pump running so long might indicate the fuel pressure isn't building fast enough. I'm currently experiencing the same issue with my Bronco, in a more acute form (no-start). I already cleaned the injectors and replaced the fuel filter, up next i'll blow the fuel lines with my air compressor to see if there is anything obstructing them, then clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump. The old one which was a Motorcraft stopped working after just one year, hence why I decided to give a through cleaning to the whole system.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Gtach
Freshman User
All of that has been done to this truck. The old guy I bought it from spent a ton of money on this thing. I'm thinking it's the ecm because of its a cold start issue only. This truck is immaculate in every way. What angers me is that his mechanic replaced the gauge cluster that odometer reads 204,000 miles. The owner swears it only has under 100,000 miles on it. No way to prove it though

Old 06-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Gtach
Freshman User
Oh. By the way. It builds 40 psi instantly upon turning the key on

Old 06-10-2019, 02:51 PM
byronbgs
Senior User
byronbgs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Usually if the fuel pump does not shut off in a few seconds it is the computer. Pull the computer. open the case and check for bubble top or leaking capacitors. Replace with fresh caps of the same value or have a friend do it if they can solder. This is what mine did a few years ago and I repaired the computer myself. I even replaced the fuel pump to no avail.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Gtach
Freshman User
That's awesome. That gives me hope of fixing mine. Luckily I have a friend here at work that fixes electronics for a hobby. He says he has the capacitors and he'll fix it for free. Now all I have to do is remove it when I get home from work tonight. I can't wait to see if this fixes it. Thank you brother

Old 06-10-2019, 03:01 PM
byronbgs
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gtach View Post
That's awesome. That gives me hope of fixing mine. Luckily I have a friend here at work that fixes electronics for a hobby. He says he has the capacitors and he'll fix it for free. Now all I have to do is remove it when I get home from work tonight. I can't wait to see if this fixes it. Thank you brother
I used parts from older computer boards and replace all the electrolytic caps. Plus I found a green corroded track that was eaten through. I repaired it with a wire from an Ethernet cable. I'm an electronic tech so it was a breeze. Good Luck.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Gtach
Freshman User
Well I got the ecm out,pulled it apart and ta da. Three bad capacitors. Now I can't find the capacitors anywhere local. Lol. All this town cares about is making beer. Lol

Old 06-11-2019, 09:22 AM
byronbgs
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gtach View Post
Well I got the ecm out,pulled it apart and ta da. Three bad capacitors. Now I can't find the capacitors anywhere local. Lol. All this town cares about is making beer. Lol
Where iis this town that makes beer?

To bad Radio shacks are not as prevalent as in the older days. Any local computer shops near by. They may have scrap boards to rob parts off of

I order from Mouser electronics https://www.mouser.com/ It will take a few days to come in , if you can wait

Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Gtach
Freshman User
We have a few repair shops here but they won't sell parts to the public. I miss radio shack. Best buy advertises they have them in stock but they said they don't have any. Thanks for the link. I guess I've got no choice but to wait. Lol

Old 06-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Gtach
Freshman User
I just visited mousse but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I know they are electrolytic and I have the numbers

Old 06-11-2019, 10:37 AM
byronbgs
Senior User
WHAT ARE THE NUMBERS AND VOLTAGE i CAN HELP.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 AM
Gtach
Freshman User

Need two of each

I need two of each

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.