Rolling Coal

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:16 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Olds64
I wouldn't know.

Your signature mentions that you have an IDI. It's my understanding that you can only turn up the fuel screw so much on the IP before the exhaust temp goes too high. To get coal out of an IDI do you have to turn up the screw beyond the point your EGTs are high? If so then that's a gamble I wouldn't be willing to take just to look macho.
It does no good to turn up the fuel on an atmo IDI. All you would get is more smoke, no more power.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:38 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,614 Likes on 1,641 Posts
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
1693ta?

yea they didnt seem to change anything from their settings in dozers and scrapers. Youve seen the old D8's and 937's run im sure.

3406 cleaned it up alot with afc and low boost fuel control
HAHA! You read my mind! LOL

Old 06-08-2019, 08:15 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,435 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by 99150
HAHA! You read my mind! LOL
E6 macks with puff limiter disabled i think r the worst!

Old 06-08-2019, 09:52 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Olds64
SNIP
How do modern diesels roll coal? I @$$ume it's a tune loaded on the ECM. The only thing I know about that is that Powerstrokehelp mentions in his videos that tuners advance injection timing for HP and torque gains. That's definitely a gamble.
My Master Tech friend told me that the Powerstroke guy isn't always correct. His repair videos are mostly reliable. But he tends to go off road with stuff he doesn't know enough about.

Tuners do a lot more than change the injection timing. It will also add more fuel and modify the transmission command points to help it survive the extra torque. Some modern diesels can be tuned up without changing the injectors, but for example with a 7.3 you have to go to bigger injectors, in which case the truck won't run well without a tuner. It gets complicated.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are only so many horsepower hours in a motor. If you tune your motor up for more power, it's not going to last as long. Unless you rarely use that power. That's what I chose with our trucks.

The extra black smoke is a function of running more fuel. You can't get more power without more fuel. The guys making huge clouds of black smoke typically have a tune in there that deliberately makes black smoke. Reputable companies like Gear Head won't write that tune for you. Keep in mind that these young men will grow up some day and become reliable Trump voters and fathers, unless some 'roid head who should never have gotten a carry license in the first place shoots them. Excesses in our youth are common to most real alpha men.

Pull up a video of some truck or tractor pulls on GoolagTube, before they decide to delete those too, and you'll see how black smoke is required for huge power. But that's at the drag strip, and those motors require frequent rebuilds because of the huge power they're making.

I'm not familiar with the tuners that deliberately roll coal, but obviously they are tuned to do so without generating a lot of power, because you see the guys doing it without any wheel spin. Neither of my sons would engage in that tomfoolery, but neither would they wind up in jail for losing their temper over somebody's cloud of smoke. Remember what happens to your butthole in prison.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:05 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,098 Likes on 560 Posts
Reno, did you read the first post that started this thread?

Old 06-08-2019, 11:46 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
Y'all got hecka triggered. Hope I never get old and cranky. Parhaps, like BF Skinner's rats, you suffer from population concentration. Move further out. A little smoke just blows away. Now, if you live in a suburb or city, there is an oppressive hopelessness that pervades daily routines, causing humans, like Skinner's rats, to seek conflict.

If I only I were a grandpa, but I'm a millennial lol. =(

Old 06-08-2019, 11:54 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Reno, did you read the first post that started this thread?
Yep, been following it all.

Here, I was helping @Olds64

Old 06-08-2019, 02:15 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
As described in post 1, is that acceptable behavior or not?

Old 06-08-2019, 09:22 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
As described in post 1, is that acceptable behavior or not?
Not to get all Slick ***** here, but exactly what is the "that" in your question?
Do I find rolling coal acceptable? Yes. But it might cause our trucks to be more regulated by an overreaching, increasingly-totalitarian government.
Do I find shooting folks cause they rolled coal acceptable? No. It might cause loss of our 2A rights. And the kids who roll coal just might be armed.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:14 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
According to some new fangled internet doohickey, the first post of this wonderful thread scores at a 12th grade readability level. I was asking about that specific paragraph, nothing else. The very first one wayyyyy back on page 1. Do I really need to break it down into a more easily understood paragraph for you Mr Clinton?

Old 06-09-2019, 10:18 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ZR1PETE
I thought long and hard about posting this but what I have been seeing lately concerns all of us. What I've noticed is more and more diesel pickup truck drivers blowing black smoke at unsuspecting automobiles, when pulling off from a stop, or stop light, Blowing heavy black smoke into the open window of the unsuspecting driver. I see this happening more and more each day especially if the car is a sports car where the car is lower to the ground and about even with the exhaust of the diesel pickup. I mean just sitting next to the diesel truck not provoking or doing something to aggravate the diesel driver and when pulling off from the stop light slams the throttle to the floor and there you have it. Now because of this behavior it's going to give a bad name to all who own or drive a diesel pickup. Especially if you have the same color truck and are falsely accused of doing so. I know that this post won't stop this behavior but what I'm trying to say is those who do it might suffer some sort of retaliation because of his or her actions and might regret they did so.

According to some new fangled internet doohickey, the first post of this wonderful thread scores at a 12th grade readability level. I was asking about that specific paragraph, nothing else. The very first one wayyyyy back on page 1. Do I really need to break it down into a more easily understood paragraph for you Mr Clinton?
It's true, the paragraph could have been broken up into two for more clarity. What's the url to your internet doohickey?

Do I find rolling coal acceptable? Yes, it's rare enough that it doesn't bother me, and I don't see it happening "more and more each day..." as does the OP. But it's not an activity my well-raised boys would do. You have to buy special tuner settings to do it, afaik. Our tuners don't do it.
Do I find shooting folks cause they rolled coal acceptable? No. It might cause loss of our 2A rights. And the kids who roll coal just might be armed. My boys are. Then there's that thing called jail, icky place really. Seen quite a few in my day, fortunately not locked in.

HTH

Old 06-10-2019, 12:07 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
What we have here is a failure to communicate. Internet discussions require a good ability in reading comprehension of material from a wide variety of authors. It may also require the reader to do some research of their own when they don't understand something, rather than immediately jumping to wild conclusions like a breathless CNN reporter. "Trump walks on water, obviously can't swim" My Grandmother was from Galveston and I remember when I was a little boy she would have the nicest thing to say to people when she wanted to be helpful. "Bless your heart, let me help you."

Step 1 is cut through the fluff and get to the points. The primary statement is " Blowing heavy black smoke into the open window of the unsuspecting driver". He further clarifies it was not a retaliation move, just blasting their fellow human with "heavy black smoke". The rest of the paragraph explains why he is concerned because it reflects poorly on everyone else.

It is critical to understand what is NOT in the paragraph. Nothing about the environment, no crying about choking puppies or crushed butterflies. Nothing about shooting, though he does point out it may elicit a response. (definition- To call forth, draw out, or provoke -- a response or reaction, for example) Nothing about drag racing or tractor pulls. Nothing about a guy getting on his tuned truck where it is safe and reasonable to do so. Nothing about how much the old semi's would smoke. Not even anything about the boys getting together and making a funny you-tube video of them blowing a lot of smoke on a country road.

" Blowing heavy black smoke into the open window of the unsuspecting driver" I would liken that to walking up to you and your wife, girlfriend, daughter, mother, or unsure but curios "friend" and taking a big puff out of a cigar and getting a foot from your noses blowing smoke in your face. It is designed to get a response. Worked every time for Lee Van Cleef. Unless you are a gunslinger in the old west, it is what would be commonly referred to today as a douche bag move. Normal people do not treat each other that way, nor is it an accepted practice.

So you see that whole 200 word paragraph boils down to one very simple question. Are you a douche bag or not?

You may wonder why I am being such a (insert your own word of what you are no doubt calling me). More reading comprehension, or lack thereof. I mentioned a term somewhere in this trainwreck of a thread you have apparently never heard before. (drop a dime) It means calling the cops, back in the old days you would "drop a dime" in the payphone so you could make a call. At a payphone, you could be anonymous. OK, I can easily forgive those who have only seen a pay phone in a museum to not understand it. You could have easily learned what that term means by typing it into any search engine and reading about it. aka learning something Here try it now, look up aka. No, because you are so easily "triggered", you immediately attack me as an AOC automaton. (look that one up, it's fun!) You have come across as someone so caught up in ideology, you attack first ask questions later. Just like the left. It's not just me, you have attacked anyone who would dare question your perceived "right". Except again, no one questioned racing, tractor pulls, tuning trucks, or even your right to own whatever truck you want. Yet you post the amusing cartoon as a clever attack against people you know nothing about for merely standing up to say people shouldn't be a jerk. The one who most resembles that cartoon is you. And this is all caused by jumping to conclusions because the written word was not properly understood.

Conservatism isn't about being down for some sort of cause and the hell with anything else. It starts with being a decent person wanting a decent society. You can't ever throw that out for the "cause". With rights come responsibilities, just as important as the rights. Having the "right" to blow smoke comes with a responsibility. Having the right to own and carry a weapon comes with a huge responsibility. Having the right to free speech also comes with responsibility as well. Imagine you own a property next to a cemetery. Every time there is a funeral, you go out back to your perfectly legal shooting range for target practice during the funeral. The mourners complain, and yet you scream about your rights to shoot on your own property. Yes, your property and right, but it is not the RIGHT thing to do, it's a douche bag move. A person does NOT have the right to infringe on the rights of others. I cringe when someone like you tries to convince some undecided soccer mom to vote conservative. You come across like the stereotypes the left always makes of conservatives that I didn't really think existed. Yes, we have a right to act like an ***, try not to exercise it.

I don't know how I stumbled into this thread, I have no one to blame but myself.

PS

Here is the link to the readability analyzer https://datayze.com/readability-analyzer.php

Here is a nice search engine not named google https://duckduckgo.com/

PPS Hopefully the OP doesn't mind me paraphrasing his post. And also assuming he is a he, maybe I should have said ze or zay or they or whatever the word of the day is.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:10 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
" Blowing heavy black smoke into the open window of the unsuspecting driver"

Not many folks would approve of that.
-MOFW

Old 06-10-2019, 03:46 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,435 Likes on 936 Posts
Old 06-11-2019, 11:33 AM