Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Brand satisfaction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 05:16 PM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brand satisfaction?

I need to replace my steering gear unit and went to RA to see what was available. There was Rock's "Popular pick" symbol next to a Reman'd unit from Lares, so I ordered it.
Has anyone here used one of their gear box's? The next choice was Cardone. I worked in a chain parts store back in the 70's and Cardone's hard parts didn't inspire much confidence.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:15 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
So far I've had a reman'd Ford OEM box which was replaced after only 86K miles---simply exploded through the bottom seal without a single leak or indication this was about to happen. Oddly enough the original box was replaced at 177K miles as it had a small leak.

Now on a Cardone box (this van won't be long for my ownership) and its quite noticeably not the same quality or "tight" as either of the two previous Ford parts. Redhead is the top of the line but quite costly---they approach $400 each for the part alone. The Ford cost me $258, the Cardone a mere $160 so you've got a choice there.

For me I'm highly cynical and skeptical of anything touted as "most popular" or "top seller" as those numbers---if not completely false---tend to be driven by low price seekers. I don't find that single metric to be worth a squat when I'm changing any vehicle part.

YMMV naturally---just my $0.02 worth mind you.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:19 AM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Right .... so what is wrong with the gear box a 2 dollar Pitman shaft seal ??

the spool valve don't cost much to re-seal either

Old 08-02-2019, 04:40 PM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lonewolf_
Right .... so what is wrong with the gear box a 2 dollar Pitman shaft seal ??

the spool valve don't cost much to re-seal either
I can't answer that as I don't know what typically wears and what doesn't in a gear box. I chose Lares. Their price seemed inline and honest and It's good to know that if something is worn beyond tolerance that it will be replaced before the customer receives it. Since I too believe it's a simple mechanism and there shouldn't be much to reman one, at least not $200 worth that the others were asking. After it was installed and bled I was really pleased with not having to correct the steering constantly. They refunded the core charge within a week of receiving it too. A lot of bang for $85.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:02 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreyclay
I can't answer that as I don't know what typically wears and what doesn't in a gear box. I chose Lares. Their price seemed inline and honest and It's good to know that if something is worn beyond tolerance that it will be replaced before the customer receives it. Since I too believe it's a simple mechanism and there shouldn't be much to reman one, at least not $200 worth that the others were asking. After it was installed and bled I was really pleased with not having to correct the steering constantly. They refunded the core charge within a week of receiving it too. A lot of bang for $85.

ya good deal Glad ya got it going

and yes a Reman is less headache for sure, and I'm with you on the prices I've seen from some places for reman like up to 700 bux, NO WAY it ain't worth that New IMHO