Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Clutch fan delete

 
  #1  
Old 05-23-2019, 03:36 PM
mroth2008
mroth2008 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kitimat British columbia
Posts: 378
mroth2008 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Clutch fan delete

Finally got to deleting my clutch some prep work just fresh paint before install. One off adapter from stub off an old fan welded to adapter and one spacer. Spacer is for summer operation. Fan is reversable. Fan is bigger and blades longer. Fan is off an older hitachi excavator I believe.



 
  #2  
Old 05-23-2019, 04:00 PM
tjc transport's Avatar
tjc transport
tjc transport is offline
i ain't rite
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 40.457107, -74.244659
Posts: 49,350
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
why???
unless you are in the desert, you do not need the fan 90% of the time and running it constantly will only give you a power loss and a lot more noise.
i ran my 88 for close to a year with no fan at all when one of the blades broke.
 
  #3  
Old 05-23-2019, 05:39 PM
lonewolf_'s Avatar
lonewolf_
lonewolf_ is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 388
lonewolf_ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Right TJC .. in fact if you was in a Desert water misting would be killer (ya know like a Swamp Cooler)

a Good Fan Shroud with a stock fan I think is better than a larger fan with no shroud, while I can see a clutch delete and a Flex fan to cut down on weight on the Pump bearings, tight belts are bad enough on a water pump

BUT hey, if it makes the OP Happy Go for it, bet that sucker will be cold matured up there in the land of Snow. just my thoughts.
 
  #4  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 PM
mroth2008
mroth2008 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kitimat British columbia
Posts: 378
mroth2008 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by lonewolf_ View Post
Right TJC .. in fact if you was in a Desert water misting would be killer (ya know like a Swamp Cooler)

a Good Fan Shroud with a stock fan I think is better than a larger fan with no shroud, while I can see a clutch delete and a Flex fan to cut down on weight on the Pump bearings, tight belts are bad enough on a water pump

BUT hey, if it makes the OP Happy Go for it, bet that sucker will be cold matured up there in the land of Snow. just my thoughts.
It does make me happy. Main reason work truck unladen sorry issue. Unladen time is mostly winter. Summer spring and fall loaded 95% of the time. Now egts are in check can run wide open and egts stay about 1000 fahrenheit all day long. Water temps slowly start to climb. Thermostat operation confirmed by mechanical temp gauge. Radiator clean coolant full water pump is pumping. Clutch fan not working unable to get a working one. As far as winter for temp management fan is reversable by design. More noise dosnt bother me the power it will draw will be a bit more than a clutch fan stuck on.
 
  #5  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:18 PM
lonewolf_'s Avatar
lonewolf_
lonewolf_ is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 388
lonewolf_ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ya know it is possible to get an electric Clutch too, but Damn they expensive, my retirement income won't allow me to have one.

There are also a number of ways to change the temp range for lockup too. I've even seen a few folks drill holes and put bolts into them

mine locks at 180F or 82C for our friends up north, it seems to run locked most the time down here in South Texas Summers with the AC on 24/7

I probably need to get my Radiator serviced the Trans Cooler has been bad since I bought the truck. too

Yeah ... and I don't mind noise either half deaf from being in HH-3E Helicopters

anyway nice job!
 
  #6  
Old 06-05-2019, 11:43 PM
03wr250f's Avatar
03wr250f
03wr250f is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Moscow, ID/ Montana
Posts: 51
03wr250f is starting off with a positive reputation.
I honestly think the stock fans with a shroud are decent at best. not really thrilled with them more specifically when it comes to higher hp applications towing on a 100* day up a grade. In my experience it has been that egts are manageable with enough boost, but coolant temps are the real problem. I have not found a perfect soluition to them, as i am not sold on electric fans, havent found a relatively doable electric fan clutch, and have not tried evans waterless coolant, and maybe any or a combonation of all 3 would do it, but i havent found many sure answers . My $0.02 and I know its alot of words to say the stock setup does alright.
 
  #7  
Old 06-08-2019, 06:52 AM
cadunkle's Avatar
cadunkle
cadunkle is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,189
cadunkle has a good reputation on FTE.cadunkle has a good reputation on FTE.
I also question why. If coolant temperature is the issue, is the radiator in top notch condition? Wngine passages clean and not full of crap? Oil cooler not plugged? Have you tried a 4 row aluminum radiator? I am impressed with the one I got last year, coolant temp does not creep up when towing up long hills like it did with a copper/brass original style radiator.

These engines don't make a lot of power, and I feel the big loss in power when the fan clutch locks up. I wouldn't want to waste power on unnecessary airflow through the radiator. Also you will need to make a good fitting shroud or it will likely flow less air through the radiator than a factory fan and shroud.
 
  #8  
Old 06-08-2019, 01:51 PM
DarkOverCast
DarkOverCast is offline
Elder User
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 866
DarkOverCast is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have zero temp problems even on hills pulling up the 10k plus the truck. Even above that I've never seen over 200-210

All my stuff is factory. But if your in an extreme climate and tow extreme loads there is more to be desired.

Just be glad you don't drive a Chevy, there's no such thing as getting too hot until you tow with one of those!
 
  #9  
Old 06-09-2019, 12:47 AM
The_Josh_Bear's Avatar
The_Josh_Bear
The_Josh_Bear is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Bend
Posts: 867
The_Josh_Bear is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 03wr250f View Post
I honestly think the stock fans with a shroud are decent at best. not really thrilled with them more specifically when it comes to higher hp applications towing on a 100* day up a grade. In my experience it has been that egts are manageable with enough boost, but coolant temps are the real problem. I have not found a perfect soluition to them, as i am not sold on electric fans, havent found a relatively doable electric fan clutch, and have not tried evans waterless coolant, and maybe any or a combonation of all 3 would do it, but i havent found many sure answers . My $0.02 and I know its alot of words to say the stock setup does alright.
Whip out the Google and search for "7.3 IDI coolant mod" and you'll quickly find out why the above is true for so many of us.

Oh heck I did it for you: 7.3 IDI coolant mod

Now unfortunately you have to pull the heads to DO the mod, but its basically just un-breaking what Ford broke in the second place.
(The 6.9 heads cooled great, but they plugged half the ports in the 7.3 for emissions crap at low power levels. This mod just restores the 6.9 style of flow)
 
  #10  
Old 06-09-2019, 08:03 AM
RaymondIV
RaymondIV is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 294
RaymondIV is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by DarkOverCast View Post
All my stuff is factory. But if your in an extreme climate and tow extreme loads there is more to be desired.

Just be glad you don't drive a Chevy, there's no such thing as getting too hot until you tow with one of those!
I've towed real heavy in 100+ degree heat pulling long grades and my aftermarket turboed truck ran hotter than I liked. Turbo=more power= more stress on stock cooling system. I did like a few other guys, bought the later model black front bumper trim piece, cut holes in the bumper like the stock '93 and newer trucks have and the additional airflow through the radiator solved the overheating problem. Way easier than replacing perfectly good head gaskets which I'd be willing to bet the 6.9 gaskets wouldn't make that much of a difference.
 
  #11  
Old 06-09-2019, 10:11 AM
lonewolf_'s Avatar
lonewolf_
lonewolf_ is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 388
lonewolf_ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by RaymondIV View Post
I've towed real heavy in 100+ degree heat pulling long grades and my aftermarket turboed truck ran hotter than I liked. Turbo=more power= more stress on stock cooling system. I did like a few other guys, bought the later model black front bumper trim piece, cut holes in the bumper like the stock '93 and newer trucks have and the additional airflow through the radiator solved the overheating problem. Way easier than replacing perfectly good head gaskets which I'd be willing to bet the 6.9 gaskets wouldn't make that much of a difference.

And again I'm screwed as there ain't no holes in my 93 front bumper LMAO
 
  #12  
Old 06-09-2019, 11:17 AM
RaymondIV
RaymondIV is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 294
RaymondIV is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by lonewolf_ View Post
And again I'm screwed as there ain't no holes in my 93 front bumper LMAO
I thought starting around '93 all the Ford diesels had the bumper cutouts?
Here's what I was referring to on this '93:
https://www.kbb.com/ford/f250-super-cab/1993/
There is a center hole also but it's hard to see in the photo.
Here's a good pic of the trim piece I ordered back in the day. I cut out the center section of my solid black plastic piece, cut out the bumper holes snapped in the new center section with air holes and you can't tell it from factory '93-'96.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bumper-Trim...%7CMake%3AFord
 
  #13  
Old 06-09-2019, 11:54 AM
lonewolf_'s Avatar
lonewolf_
lonewolf_ is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 388
lonewolf_ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
you are probably correct, I bought my 93 Used so is no telling what has been changed, mine is just XL with extended Cab ( I guess they call that super cab) it was made 12/92 and looks like a lot of standard cab in 93 had just the plain Chrome bumper, it may have been an option at the time who knows, the damn U-Joint Caps are 1 3/16 this is also not normally found on the F250.

this is why I think 93 was just a Bastid year for these trucks
 
  #14  
Old 06-09-2019, 08:18 PM
tecgod13
tecgod13 is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 3,065
tecgod13 has a good reputation on FTE.tecgod13 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm pretty sure the bumper cutouts started with the Powerstroke.
My 93 doesn't have them either...
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.