Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Quick door question: build or install first?

Old 05-21-2019, 11:42 PM
GoldCo
Elder User
GoldCo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.GoldCo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quick door question: build or install first?

Searching through all the relevant threads here as I prepare to build my empty door shells but wondering whether its better (or easier?) to build the door first off the truck then hang, or hang em empty and build on the truck?

Thoughts?

Old 05-22-2019, 03:24 AM
1949f1
Elder User
1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have the doors gutted on my 49. I am going to body work them and primer them next and hang them since they will be so much lighter to work with.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:15 AM
Indybeer
Elder User
Indybeer is a name known to allIndybeer is a name known to allIndybeer is a name known to allIndybeer is a name known to allIndybeer is a name known to allIndybeer is a name known to all
I have a 54...but I second the install first...build after. Much easier to install and get lined up when it is just a shell. Plus I thought rebuild was easier with the door upright where you can get to it.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
My doors needed rust repair on the bottoms. I found it much easier to work on them laying flat on a workbench than try to work on them from underneath if they were hanging. After the body work was done I hung them to do the glass and regulator install.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:32 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
I think GoldCo means is it better to put door and window regulators and glass and latch in with door hung in truck. I say yes it it is.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:32 AM
48 Steel
Elder User
48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold48 Steel is a splendid one to behold
I hung them first. Pic's in my build thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lt-thread.html

Old 05-22-2019, 08:56 PM
GoldCo
Elder User
GoldCo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.GoldCo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
thanks for the replies

yep, empty door shell ready for internals and glass.
so i guess i'll hang 'em first, then it sounds like vent windows first, then division bar, etc.
i've got a bunch of weather stripping i gotta figure out where it all goes, both for windows and doors. re: the latter, this just came to me does door weatherstripping go on the door side or the cab side?

thanks for replies. time to go back and re-read all the search results.

Originally Posted by abe View Post
I think GoldCo means is it better to put door and window regulators and glass and latch in with door hung in truck. I say yes it it is.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:06 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by GoldCo View Post
yep, empty door shell ready for internals and glass.
so i guess i'll hang 'em first, then it sounds like vent windows first, then division bar, etc.
i've got a bunch of weather stripping i gotta figure out where it all goes, both for windows and doors. re: the latter, this just came to me does door weatherstripping go on the door side or the cab side?

thanks for replies. time to go back and re-read all the search results.
Also read your shop manual.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.