Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 air filter question

Old 05-15-2019, 08:40 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Elder User
RenoHuskerDu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
6.0 air filter question

I hear that the stock air and oil filters are fine. But the AF sure is in the way when I want to get at anything below it.
I've read here that the AFE is not a good option. I run an S&B on my 7.3, would that be a decent choice for a 6.0?
Or should I just replace the missing clips on the stock filter housing and live with that huge box?

2004 F350 cc, studded, deleted, no tune.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:27 PM
jetjockey99
Posting Guru
jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Stay with the stock filter!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:45 PM
Sparky83
Posting Legend
Sparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu View Post
I hear that the stock air and oil filters are fine. But the AF sure is in the way when I want to get at anything below it.
I've read here that the AFE is not a good option. I run an S&B on my 7.3, would that be a decent choice for a 6.0?
Or should I just replace the missing clips on the stock filter housing and live with that huge box?

2004 F350 cc, studded, deleted, no tune.
the problem with AFE is they use cheap rubber that disintegrates with the heat trapped in the engine bay... ive pretty much replaced all the rubber connections and the filter with mine... but kept the tubing... also ended up making a custom box that was easily removable for servicing.. (afe has since changed their design to make them easier to remove to service the engine than the one i went with).... unless your going with a bigger turbo you really dont need an aftermarket filter setup.. stock filter flows more than enough..

that said S&B is one of the more common setups ive heard people going to on the 6.0's.. when i bought my setup the big thing everyone was screaming was to go with a dry filter because the oild filters "destroy" the turbos when it sucks the oil from them... now most of those people that were shouting that i see running oiled filters... when the AFE one fell apart on me i bought a K&N universal filter thatd fit the afe's tubing... been fine for me... moves plenty of air...

as for the oil filters... you wont find a better one than the factory filter... theyre made by Parker-Hannifin... same company that makes your factory fuel filters as well...

Old 05-16-2019, 03:30 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
I haven't heard about destroying a turbo with an oiled air filter. I have heard that the MAF sensor will get coated and not read correctly.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:04 AM
Brotherbillstruck
Senior User
Brotherbillstruck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There are several videos out there (ie. Diesel tech Ron) that show removal of the stock air box. A little harder to explain than actually doing it. A couple of clamps and a couple connectors and the whole piece pulls back up and out.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:54 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Any air filter setup is in the way if you need to work on a 6.0, it is what it is. The only reason to go with anything other than the stock filter is if you upgrade the turbo and the filter is restricting air flow and collapsing the filter minder. In that case I recommend the S&B stage 2 with dry filter.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Brotherbillstruck View Post
There are several videos out there (ie. Diesel tech Ron) that show removal of the stock air box. A little harder to explain than actually doing it. A couple of clamps and a couple connectors and the whole piece pulls back up and out.
Yep, removing the air filter assembly is very quick and easy if you do it right. Less than a minute and itís out.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Elder User
Wow, thanks guys, great advice as usual.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:28 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Yep, removing the air filter assembly is very quick and easy if you do it right. Less than a minute and itís out.
I have popped that sucker in and out soooooooo many times. Once you learn the steps it's quite easy. And the blue medium is one of the very best that is out there, developed for high dust conditions with military tanks. You nee to have a really big need for more air before flipping to something else IMO.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:16 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
I have popped that sucker in and out soooooooo many times. Once you learn the steps it's quite easy. And the blue medium is one of the very best that is out there, developed for high dust conditions with military tanks. You nee to have a really big need for more air before flipping to something else IMO.
I might also add, if your engine is going to make enough power to need more air flow it's going to need bigger sticks also.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:23 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Well said guys. The OEM air filter does just fine for me w/ the SRL+ tune.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Sparky83
Posting Legend
Sparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I haven't heard about destroying a turbo with an oiled air filter. I have heard that the MAF sensor will get coated and not read correctly.
the "complaint" i was hearing at the time was that when the turbo sucked the oil out of the filter itd stick to the compressor blades along with any "dirt" that got through the filters and unbalanced them... which i always found funny seeing as the CCV tube was in front of the turbo and tended to suck the oil vapor from the crank case... but like i said now all the ones that were screaming that are now running oiled filters on their own.. so apparently wasnt that big of a concern...

Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Elder User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
I have popped that sucker in and out soooooooo many times. Once you learn the steps it's quite easy.
SNIP.
Wouldja mind listing those steps? I need to get to the steering box top. "Brand new" Ford reman has play after 400 miles, ugh.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:59 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
Old 05-16-2019, 03:28 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Elder User
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
goolagtube vid
Glorious. Youdaman.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.