Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IWE Solutions

Old 04-16-2019, 10:08 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.
IWE Solutions

After the new solenoid and check valve, I sill have the IWE noise. What's the next step to fix this? Do I go with new IWE's and just replace them when they fail or go with the IWE eliminators from RCV? They seem to be very popular with the Raptor crowd...

https://www.rcvperformance.com/rcv-u...150-04-up.html

Old 04-16-2019, 08:18 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
xjcamaro89 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xjcamaro89 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you replaced the solenoid and check valve and you still get the noise it's time to replace one or both. If you get a vacuum gauge at the parts store you can apply vacuum to each iwe separately and see if one or both leaks down and doesn't hold vacuum.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:12 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
subscribed

Old 04-17-2019, 06:20 AM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
xjcamaro89 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xjcamaro89 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I wrote a in depth post all about the IWE's quite a few years ago. It should still be relevant to these series of trucks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7322441

Old 04-17-2019, 09:07 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.jimmyv13 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by xjcamaro89 View Post
I wrote a in depth post all about the IWE's quite a few years ago. It should still be relevant to these series of trucks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7322441
Nice write up! I searched through the 2015+ forums and came up empty, but did not even think to look on the older forums. I understand the system as I had the issue with my 04 and replacing the solenoid fixed the problem. I wasn't sure of the next steps after the check valve and solenoid replacement do not fix the issue. My main concern with this repair is the fact that it will happen again because of the flawed design.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:07 AM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
The truck that I originally had the issue with was an '04, what I ended up doing was running my own vacuum hose all the way from the solenoid down to both wheels, replaced the IWEs and was all set. There are so many weak points (at least in the older trucks) that if you replaced one part the next part would go, or a crack in the plastic line, etc (on the older trucks there is also a vacuum reservoir that could leak, may be on the new ones too) . I just used rubber vacuum hose from the parts store, bought a pack of misc vacuum hose connectors and put a little bit of silicone on each connection and ran the hose where I could get to it easily down the road and hooked it all back up and was fine until I traded it off several years later.

But I can not stress enough that a good vacuum gauge will be your best friend while working on this.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:47 AM
PupnDuck
Posting Guru
PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
After the new solenoid and check valve, I sill have the IWE noise. What's the next step to fix this? Do I go with new IWE's and just replace them when they fail or go with the IWE eliminators from RCV? They seem to be very popular with the Raptor crowd...

https://www.rcvperformance.com/rcv-u...150-04-up.html
If that's the way you want to go then you can save yourself two hundred bucks. Just unplug the electrical connector from the vacuum solenoid. No vacuum and the IWE's engage. Cuts into your gas mileage a bit since you're now spinning all that front end hardware all the time but accomplishes the same thing and takes all of 30 seconds to do.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
If you want to get to the bottom of what is failing, get a vacuum gauge and start at the IWEs and apply vacuum to different sections of the system until you find the section or part that is not holding vacuum. It could be as little as a cracked line, which if that's the case, a couple bucks at the parts store for generic vacuum line and connectors and you can replace the section.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:21 PM
onug
Donut Ninja
onug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by xjcamaro89 View Post
If you want to get to the bottom of what is failing, get a vacuum gauge and start at the IWEs and apply vacuum to different sections of the system until you find the section or part that is not holding vacuum. It could be as little as a cracked line, which if that's the case, a couple bucks at the parts store for generic vacuum line and connectors and you can replace the section.
Nice write up; Reps sent and page saved. I think a vacuum gauge will soon be joining my tool set. My warranty-repair has been solid for 6+ months, but this sure seems like a weak link that will need to be “maintained” as the truck gets older.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:01 PM
johnday
Posting Guru
johnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant future
Here's a TSB straight from Ford.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...49748-9999.pdf
If it doesn't open, just google TSB 18 2273

Old 04-18-2019, 05:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I considered this thread relevant enough to make it a stickie. Thanks for all the great useful tips and relevant info.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:49 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PupnDuck View Post
If that's the way you want to go then you can save yourself two hundred bucks. Just unplug the electrical connector from the vacuum solenoid. No vacuum and the IWE's engage. Cuts into your gas mileage a bit since you're now spinning all that front end hardware all the time but accomplishes the same thing and takes all of 30 seconds to do.
This sounds promising to avoid any further damage until I actually repair the problem. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: