6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Egr delete replacement O'rings needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Hawkeye2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egr delete replacement O'rings needed

Good afternoon, fellows.
I have had problems with leakage from the o'ring on the egr delete kit tube from the start. Every few months of after a long trip, it starts to leak again. After replacing the one that came with the kit, I have been using the closest I could match from 1 set each of SAE and metric o'ring kits I have. Each kit has probably a couple hundred o'rings and yet, I could not find one that looks to fit right. I bought the kit originally from Rudy's Diesel. I hit them up for replacement rings but they don't even sell the kits anymore. I also called a couple of other places that sell the kits but they don't sell them. Does anyone know where to source this o'ring, as well as a second one that goes on a flat plate in the same area, per the picture? Or maybe the sizes? I would imagine the same size applies to all kits, as they go into the same engine place.

While I will be at it, I plan to remove the turbo to clean it according to instructions posted in the Tech folder. It mentions:
A) an STC fitting. What is that?

B) and also "This is a good time to buy and install the (larger) upgraded turbo oil drain line" Any insight into that?

I am also planning to install a gasket mentioned in the folder at the turbo exhaust outlet. I am experiencing white/gray smoke in certain situations and I read there may be a leak at the exhaust joint causing this.

About the truck: it has 104xxx miles and has and does generally run superbly, other than the smoke. I installed a Banks Big Hoss bundle about 7-8 years ago and I have not had any kind of issues. I installed a cooling system filter after a thorough coolant flush long ago and I think it has helped to keep the oil cooler in great shape, even though I replaced it needlessly on the wrong advise from a local hack and of course, my own stupidity. The one I replaced was absolutely clean on account of having two bypass oil filters installed. The oil vs. water temperature runs about 5-9°F difference at the highest.
I can post pictures of my rig if there is any interest.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Old 04-02-2019, 06:36 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
What year is your truck? If it’s in your signature I’m on my phone and don’t see that stuff It may not have the STC fitting.

The STC fitting is a “snap to connect” fitting on the oil pump. It has a tendency to get pushed towards coming off and leaking, the update eliminates this issue with screw in parts.

As for the egr delete o-rings, I once found a thread that had the specs, at least for the smaller one...will see if I can find them again.

Oil filtration doesnt really do anything for oil cooler clogging, as it’s the coolant section that clogs up. So good thing you have coolant filtration.

The updated turbo oil drain has a smooth bend to it vs the somewhat crimped bend of the earlier trucks, so should flow oil easier. There is also an updated turbo oil feed line, which is solid tubing and replaces the braided version on older trucks.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Old 04-03-2019, 12:08 AM
Hawkeye2
Freshman User
tfunk88, that's awesome, to have a source for the o'rings. My truck is 2006. Do the other parts you describe apply to this model year? Would be great to get all that done at one time while doing the turbo work. Of course, you are right, the coolant filter is the one keeping the oil cooler in good shape. I cut open the first two filters to see what they looked like after use. The first one especially had a lot of sand in it. Not hard to see how the oil coolers would get clogged up without a filter being used.
Thank you for your help, again.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:48 AM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Pretty sure 2006 will have the STC Fitting. As for the updated turbo oil drain and feed lines not sure when that update was introduced. But if your line from the top of the oil cooler cover to the top of the turbo has any stainless braiding vs just a solid steel tube it has the older stuff.

New turbo feed linenon bottom, old on top

Old 04-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Hawkeye2
Freshman User
tfunk88 and other forum members that might want to chime in, good evening. I am trying to line up my parts to hopefully getting it done next week. I found this on Amazon from a third party seller:
https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHORSE-RACING-Screen-Fitting-Upgrade-Powerstroke/dp/B074CRH42X/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=2006+Ford+6.0L+STC&qid=1554509996&s=automotive&sr=1-10 https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHORSE-RACING-Screen-Fitting-Upgrade-Powerstroke/dp/B074CRH42X/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=2006+Ford+6.0L+STC&qid=1554509996&s=automotive&sr=1-10

What do you all think? Probable quality? Seem to have the gaskets, o'rings needed to re-install the t/c and the STC fitting. I ordered the oil return line and the o,rings from Bulletproof Diesel.
My t/c feed line looks like the SS one in your picture. Is there an upgrade to that, or am I ok with what I have?

Thank you

Old 04-05-2019, 09:11 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
No experience with Blackhorse racing, so can’t comment on quality. I got my updated STC fitting from Ford dealer. I think it came with new turbo oil feed tube gasket and bolts, not sure if it came with oil pump cover gaskets.

If your oil feed line is solid it’s the updated version.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:27 AM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
Hawkeye2,

I just replaced both of my Orings on my EGR delete and the large one I obtained from McMaster Carr, part number was 9396K82. O ring serial number was OR-222. Not sure if it would be the same as yours but I would expect so. I also replaced my small one with a trade number "OR-209". These are standard numbers for O rings. I also replaced the small coolant hose with a piece of 3/4 ID hose from McMaster Carr that was silicone. Not a fun job to do but what I did do to make it a bit easier was use two longer M6 bolts to get the plate to line up before trying to get it in place. Once close I used a progressively shorter bolt to pull it up. You also need to get the hose started on the oil cooler base connector FIRST and then try to get the delete tube started.

I believe the large O ring on the plate covers where the exhaust gases were introduced to the intake/EGR valve so there should be no coolant leak possibility from this section. Perhaps someone can confirm this.

PS- I am not one hundred percent sure if this will fix my leak with the OR-209 but I will try to report back in a week or so.

Rob

Old 04-09-2019, 03:05 PM
Hawkeye2
Freshman User
Thanks, Rob. I ordered the o'ring tfunk88 suggested. You are probably right about the large o'ring. It would seem to me that the leak is coming from the smaller o'ring. I plan to tackle this job this weekend. I will try to see if a local supplier has those same o'rings you referenced as they would not get here if I ordered them from McMaster now. I would like to have them on hand just in case. Thanks for the tips. On the upside, I am no stranger to this procedure. This would be the third time I change the rings. I always used generic ones from a kit I have and they worked for only a while.

PS., Grainger's has the o'rings in their catalog. I would think there are more local branches of Grainger's than Mc Master Carr's, if anyone else finds the need.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:03 PM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Hawkeye2,

If you can hold off for a few days before ordering I can report back as I want to be certain that this is the correct O ring and that my leak is indeed fixed.

Rob

Old 04-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Hawkeye2
Freshman User
Ron, I will look to see if I can find the original tube that goes into the block. It should still have the original o'ring to compare with the ones I ordered, which will get here tomorrow. That should give me a huge clue. I will report back.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 AM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
I had a good look today and it appears that my coolant leak has been resolved. O ring numbers I used on my EGR delete was:

OR-209
OR-222

Rob

Old 04-16-2019, 12:08 AM
Hawkeye2
Freshman User
Good to hear Rob. I 've received all the parts I needed to replace and I plan to get it done this weekend. Thanks for the update.