Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fuel issue?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:07 PM
jmtbiggin
Senior User
jmtbiggin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jmtbiggin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fuel issue?

My tank is about half full or better(225 miles on trip meter). Low fuel warning came on when started and gauge pegged at E. Down the road a bit and viola, Full. Shortly there after is settled in at 5/8-1/2 tank where it should be. Happens here and there and getting a tad more frequent. Gauge, wiring, and sending unit likely culprits. My semi educated guess is sending unit. What say you guys? Opine please

Oh the selection of sending units! If Need be can anyone point me to correct part# sending unit 2005 6litre F350 CC LB SRW 4x4

Old 02-10-2019, 05:33 PM
namnguye
Senior User
namnguye has a good reputation on FTE.namnguye has a good reputation on FTE.namnguye has a good reputation on FTE.
For a truck, you can check the wiring to the sending unit to see if any problem. Mine was corroded. If all good, then you may have to open up the fuel tank to check for the resistance. This range seems to be about right, but if you get close to it, it should be good: 15 to 170 Ohms. Move the floater up an down slowly and watch for the value.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:50 AM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of87crewdually has much to be proud of
Do you have a scanner or even ScangaugeII? You can monitor FuelLevel with those tools to "see" what the PCM sees. This can tell you if it's an issue coming from the sensor in the tank or a faulty cluster.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:56 AM
jmtbiggin
Senior User
jmtbiggin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jmtbiggin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for tips. The gauges all work properly when I do gauge test. Gotta look up fuel level for Scan gauge

Old 02-27-2019, 05:37 AM
jmtbiggin
Senior User
Well it finally acted up again, tank is about 5/8 full. Wierd that Scangauge and dash gauge have been in sync, now they are opposite

Old 02-27-2019, 02:59 PM
xcrsp440
Elder User
xcrsp440 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Our 6.0 was giving intermittent empty readings when there was plently of fuel in the tank, then mysteriously jump back to the correct level.
Later started experiencing intermittent gauge malfunctions, radio quick working. Sent the cluster to circuit board medics for repair and the fuel gauge has been working perfectly now for over a year.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:10 AM
Sniper2019
New User
Sniper2019 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel level and power cut

MY FUEL LEVEL GAUGE MARKS EMPTY SPECIALLY WHEN I PARK ON THE SUN ! AFTER THE INSIDE OF THE TRUCK COOLS DOWN THE FUEL LEVEL GOES UP TO WHERE IS SUPPOSE TO GO . IM THINKING THAT MY PROBLEM IS THE CLUSTER ALSO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.