Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer brake question

Old 03-25-2019, 05:57 PM
wbnethery3
Senior User
wbnethery3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trailer brake question

Hey guys - I'm back in the F-150 game with my 4th truck - 2019 Lariat FX4 with the sport package. I'm really happy with it, but have a noob question...

I've read the sticky concerning the TBC issue... I have a son with a 2016 XLT Sport which came with the towing package and included the TBC. When I got my truck, I looked high and low for it and couldn't find it... now I know why. My question is - without the TBC, does the truck activate the electric trailer brakes? I assume not, but wanted to be sure. I'm planning on hauling a Jeep which puts the trailer total weight right over the recommended limit for towing without trailer brakes. I don't want to do it without the TBC if that's the only way I can do it safely.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2019, 06:07 PM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
As far as I know, yes you need the tbc to activate the trailer brakes.

You can always test it I guess by hooking up the trailer empty for about ten yards and slamming on the brakes and see if the trailers wheel lock up or anything

Old 03-25-2019, 06:11 PM
wbnethery3
Senior User
Forgot to mention - I did check, and there is a 30A fuse in the #24 slot, so I should be wired to add the TBC if I choose to, correct? Really surprised this isn't being done for customers as a campaign... I mean, you drop the kind of coin that I did and you'd like to think it came with everything it needs. Smdh...

Old 03-25-2019, 06:41 PM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.
If there is no TBC, you will not have trailer brakes. You can quick and dirty add an inertial TBC that "should" plug into the harness, but the OEM one is the one to get because it will operate the trailer brakes in proportion to the amount of pedal pressure you apply.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:45 PM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by wbnethery3 View Post
Forgot to mention - I did check, and there is a 30A fuse in the #24 slot, so I should be wired to add the TBC if I choose to, correct? Really surprised this isn't being done for customers as a campaign... I mean, you drop the kind of coin that I did and you'd like to think it came with everything it needs. Smdh...
itís possible you have the wiring/plug snd can just buy one and plug it in, but I think the dealer has to actually activate it to make it work

Old 03-26-2019, 12:07 AM
wbnethery3
Senior User
Yeah based on the searches I did, along with the very prominent sticky post at the top of this forum, I am confident that the TBC can be added. It requires the part, the labor to remove trim and install in the location that currently has a little cubby hole (useless for anything but a little spare change), and - most importantly - reprogramming the computer to recognize it. I’ve used Forscan before on my other son’s 2014 Lariat, but I am uncertain whether my Bluetooth ODB adapter will have the functionality required to make this change. Most importantly - I don’t want to risk voiding my warranty and/or damaging something in the process. I’ve reached out to my salesman to see if there’s anything that they can do to help me out... not expecting much, but as they say “if you don’t ask, you don’t get”...

Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.
I added one to my 2016 F150. The plug and harness was there. Just added the controller and they did a software update on it in about 10 minutes and it works fine. I also replaced the small rear harness that feeds the license plate lights with one for a truck with the towing plug. Added the plug and everything works great.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:06 PM
wbnethery3
Senior User
Well, I went to the stealership and paid $270 to have the TBC added... done.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:19 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.
Sometimes that's the easiest way. I probably have $200 in mine, and I did a lot of it my self.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:38 PM
wbnethery3
Senior User
I could've done it, I'm sure... I've used Forscan on other trucks, but mine is 4 months old and I'm not going to fool around and do something to raise questions about my warranty. The difference in cost was well worth the peace-of-mind knowing I'm not going to have to argue about it with anyone.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
I agree. Don't give them anything to question a warranty claim later on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: