2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Experienced bad wobble this morning

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 06:51 AM
kcwolf200
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experienced bad wobble this morning

So it finally happened to me. I have had a few times where the truck would hit a bump and shimmy a little, and then calm back down just letting off the gas. I was usually doing about 60-65mph.

This morning on the interstate, I hit a expansion joint or a pot hole (hard to tell on these Indiana roads) at about 65mph and the truck started to shake violently. It was very difficult to control and it was hard to see because the truck was shaking so bad. I crossed lanes which was a challenge and was able to pull off the road. The shaking actually seemed to get more violent as I slowed down and it didn’t go away until I got to about 15 mph.

Needless to say, this has really shaken (no pun intended) my confidence in this truck. I’m glad I didn’t have my wife and kids in the vehicle and I’m really worried about towing my RV with it this spring.

On on top of it all, I’m 200 miles outside my 3/36k warranty. Any thoughts?

The truck is a completely stock 2017 F250. I did change the shocks to Rancho 9000xl’s, but other than that, everything is original.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 947 Likes on 748 Posts
Align it, put a good steering stabilizer on it, and change the front tires.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:02 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First off report it so we can force ford into a recall https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

second check with your dealer if they are good they might help you out. If not get a good front end shop to check the front end to find any “worn” parts. The reason you were getting shimmy is thing were starting to wear, this morning showed they were worn to the point of letting the shimmy propagate into wobble.

On my my truck after talking to the tech that I have know a while and trust said he has seen a good many of these and he thinks it is the steering stabilizer that was used early on is just too weak and the new one made after the date code in the TSB is much stronger. He did replace the drag link and sway bar as well as they were showing wear and now after the new stabilizer the “nervous” feeling is completely gone. I was just the reverse of you situation I had 200 miles left on bumper to bumper warranty.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:07 AM
brick1
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by kcwolf200
So it finally happened to me. I have had a few times where the truck would hit a bump and shimmy a little, and then calm back down just letting off the gas. I was usually doing about 60-65mph.

This morning on the interstate, I hit a expansion joint or a pot hole (hard to tell on these Indiana roads) at about 65mph and the truck started to shake violently. It was very difficult to control and it was hard to see because the truck was shaking so bad. I crossed lanes which was a challenge and was able to pull off the road. The shaking actually seemed to get more violent as I slowed down and it didn’t go away until I got to about 15 mph.

Needless to say, this has really shaken (no pun intended) my confidence in this truck. I’m glad I didn’t have my wife and kids in the vehicle and I’m really worried about towing my RV with it this spring.

On on top of it all, I’m 200 miles outside my 3/36k warranty. Any thoughts?

The truck is a completely stock 2017 F250. I did change the shocks to Rancho 9000xl’s, but other than that, everything is original.

I would buy the exteded Ford warranty. Quickly.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Fireferg73
Mountain Pass
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
What is your tire pressure?

Old 03-07-2019, 09:37 AM
kcwolf200
Junior User
Originally Posted by Fireferg73
What is your tire pressure?
I am running 60 up front and 55 rears. Just checked them last week. Truck would still shimmy some with fronts at 65 or at 55. I tried both to help with the slight shimmy I used to get to avoid progressing to this.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Spooledsrt
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Track bar bushings.....

Old 03-08-2019, 09:14 AM
FSRBIKER
Junior User
IMO the dealership you go to matters the most, where I bought the truck they can care less about you and more about just doing the bare minimum so they make sure Ford pays the warranty claim. After driving my truck for 3 days they never found an issue even though I provided a video to them, they reluctantly did the TSB after I provided them with the information. If you read the way Ford words the TSB once they replace the SS they simply walk away, no alignment check or shims nothing. I argued with the dealer but they wouldn't so anything since Ford might not pay the bill. So off to an independent shop and guess what BOTH tie rods are shot, back to Ford and they found that interesting but will replace them for me...How the F@#! did they not see or feel this while the truck was up in the air!

So be careful which dealer you go to and good luck!

BTW I recently bought the Fox ATS Steering Stabilizer and will install it this weekend, it's not cheap but from everyone on this forum that has installed one they say it's a dramatic improvement. https://www.stage3motorsports.com/98...tabilizer.html

Old 03-09-2019, 12:12 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FSRBIKER
IMO the dealership you go to matters the most, where I bought the truck they can care less about you and more about just doing the bare minimum so they make sure Ford pays the warranty claim. After driving my truck for 3 days they never found an issue even though I provided a video to them, they reluctantly did the TSB after I provided them with the information. If you read the way Ford words the TSB once they replace the SS they simply walk away, no alignment check or shims nothing. I argued with the dealer but they wouldn't so anything since Ford might not pay the bill. So off to an independent shop and guess what BOTH tie rods are shot, back to Ford and they found that interesting but will replace them for me...How the F@#! did they not see or feel this while the truck was up in the air!

So be careful which dealer you go to and good luck!

BTW I recently bought the Fox ATS Steering Stabilizer and will install it this weekend, it's not cheap but from everyone on this forum that has installed one they say it's a dramatic improvement. https://www.stage3motorsports.com/98...tabilizer.html
Work in the car business and have for a long time....I spend alot of my days in and out of service departments at different dealerships repairing dents and dings that techs put in peoples vehicles. I always wonder around and talk to the techs. I like to talk shop. I am a long time “car guy” and my first truck was a TONKA at the age of 2. I WILL TELL YOU THIS: the new generation of technicians are ABSOLUTELY terrible. If its not throwing a CEL with manufacturer diagnostic software telling them whats wrong..... forget about it. The “old guys” who could actually diagnose an issue through the process of elimination are gone. These kids now adays change oil, do brake jobs, alignments, and roatate tires, aaaaaand thats about it. Most service centers in Houston have maybe 1-2 guys who are actually professional mechanics that know what they are doing. The rest of them are village idiots. I have seen a RAPID decline in the quality of technicians in the last 5-10 years. Front end and steering issues always go to the fresh out of UTI bottom techs. Most dont even know how to properly check for worn TRE style joints. I found a bad TRE joint at the pitman end of my centerlink on my 2wd SD. I had to show a “lead tech” at a local ford dealership how to find the play in the joint after he reported back that everything was in spec....he then insisted on calling the center link a panhard bar......a pan hard bar......he called it a pan hard bar......i did not leave all warm a fuzzy.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:34 AM
puddintank
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Imadentguy
I WILL TELL YOU THIS: the new generation of technicians are ABSOLUTELY terrible.
Just curious about your opinion on the new generation of those on the other end... the ones who assemble the trucks in Kentucky? I imagine it's a similar labor pool.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:08 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooledsrt
Track bar bushings.....
THIS. Finally we start to see correct answers. It is much more than just a stabilizer shock. The whole front end including shocks, tires, track bar, all TREs, ball joints, bearings, EVERYTHING including yes correct caster angles needs to be considered as a system.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:51 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by puddintank
Just curious about your opinion on the new generation of those on the other end... the ones who assemble the trucks in Kentucky? I imagine it's a similar labor pool.
Man i really dont have an opinion per say, as i have no experience with that faciility. I used to live in Kansas, and i had a buddy that worked in the Kansas City assembly plant in the refinishing shop. I did tour that facility one time back in probably 2003ish. I will tell you this. It is a very repetitive, HIGH PRESSURE job to hold. It was VERY hot, and VERY loud, and VERY industrial. There was literally not one person that worked there that “looked happy”. They were like robots with a heart beat. It was honestly amazing to see how they do it. It never stops, and the employees worked with a perpetual pep in their step. My buddy at the time said that the turn over was rather high, and after witnessing it first hand, i could see how that type of job would not be for everybody. It was one of those gigs where the employee had either worked there for 20 years, or they had been there for 2 months. They seemed to have it down, but after witnessing the process first hand, i can see why there are initial build quality problems from time to time. Its just too fast paced, and the employees are under pressure to never slow or god forbid shut down the line. I belive that fords (or all manufacturers for that matter) modern day issues stem from low quality parts that are out sourced to the lowest bidder. Its a “you get what you pay for” scenerio. There is ABSOLUTLY no reason as to why trucks with 20k miles should have prematurely worn, or out of spec steering and suspension joints. That is a quality issue with the parts, not an issue with the individual that installed the part durring initial assembly.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:13 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Imadentguy

Man i really dont have an opinion per say, as i have no experience with that faciility. I used to live in Kansas, and i had a buddy that worked in the Kansas City assembly plant in the refinishing shop. I did tour that facility one time back in probably 2003ish. I will tell you this. It is a very repetitive, HIGH PRESSURE job to hold. It was VERY hot, and VERY loud, and VERY industrial. There was literally not one person that worked there that “looked happy”. They were like robots with a heart beat. It was honestly amazing to see how they do it. It never stops, and the employees worked with a perpetual pep in their step. My buddy at the time said that the turn over was rather high, and after witnessing it first hand, i could see how that type of job would not be for everybody. It was one of those gigs where the employee had either worked there for 20 years, or they had been there for 2 months. They seemed to have it down, but after witnessing the process first hand, i can see why there are initial build quality problems from time to time. Its just too fast paced, and the employees are under pressure to never slow or god forbid shut down the line. I belive that fords (or all manufacturers for that matter) modern day issues stem from low quality parts that are out sourced to the lowest bidder. Its a “you get what you pay for” scenerio. There is ABSOLUTLY no reason as to why trucks with 20k miles should have prematurely worn, or out of spec steering and suspension joints. That is a quality issue with the parts, not an issue with the individual that installed the part durring initial assembly.
Well said!

Old 03-09-2019, 10:24 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Sweat shop conditions?

Very revealing. Thanks for the post exposing this stuff.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:56 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Man i dont know about sweat shop conditions. Its just a high pressure industrial job. A REAL job. Not some sitting behind a desk bull**** like most jobs are here in America now adays. I was surprised at how many females were working right there next to the men. Granted half of em’ prolly’ could have kicked my *** . Them Kansas / Missouri girls are corn fed and tough though! LOL