2021+ Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2021 Ford Bronco!

FWIW .....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Jkenosh
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t think ifs is a deal breaker for me. There is a reason all the trucks use it. The old school solid axles are known for their toughness but I think they can build a good ifs.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:55 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I see CV axles meaning no solid axle

Old 03-04-2019, 07:29 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Does the top come off or does the top not come off?

Bronco owners have been doing solid axle swaps for decades now. I'm sure Dana would love to set you up!

Old 03-04-2019, 08:31 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeep can keep that solid axle and the death wobble. I’d actually prefer ifs nice smooth ride for where the average Jeep or Bronco will spend most of its life...asphalt.
​​

Old 03-05-2019, 09:40 PM
hd4ever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ford raptor does great off road. No solid axle.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:07 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hd4ever

Raptor is designed for a completely different style of off roading.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:00 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by hd4ever

So do 2wd Trophy trucks. But I would like to see them go at a slower pace doing any other offloading

Old 03-06-2019, 05:46 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Axles, axles, axles.

If you're not breathing through a snorkel and have figured out how to keep your engine dry and protect your electronics, it won't make a darned bit of difference what type of axles you have, you're walking out of whatever green hell you rode into.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:51 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's not a Bronco. Too early for the Bronco to be seen out on the streets. Ford is keeping a tight lid on it.

That looks like Ford's new small pickup. They are planning to release a truck smaller than the Ranger, and that looks like the test mule for that setup. It will be based on the new Focus platform.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:59 AM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
definately bronco running gear, with a modified ranger body. there are different spy shots of courier

Old 03-06-2019, 02:35 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
That's not a Bronco. Too early for the Bronco to be seen out on the streets. Ford is keeping a tight lid on it.

That looks like Ford's new small pickup. They are planning to release a truck smaller than the Ranger, and that looks like the test mule for that setup. It will be based on the new Focus platform.
Do we expect a Focus-based "truck" to have six lug wheels and large off-road tires? And is that vehicle further along in the pipeline than Bronco?

Not sure if the spy shots show a frame, but I would doubt the Focus-based vehicle will be anything but a unibody.

I do find the side marker lights, a Euro requirement, unusual. Are they a requirement in Aus?

Old 03-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
Do we expect a Focus-based "truck" to have six lug wheels and large off-road tires? And is that vehicle further along in the pipeline than Bronco?

Not sure if the spy shots show a frame, but I would doubt the Focus-based vehicle will be anything but a unibody.

I do find the side marker lights, a Euro requirement, unusual. Are they a requirement in Aus?
It's still a bit of a mystery. For sure the way that vehicle is set up on the spy pics, Ford did that on purpose to confuse all of us. Could be a test mule for a Bronco-related chassis with 6-lugs (but no solid front axle which is confusing, I would bet money on a solid front axle being on the Bronco). It could also be a test mule for the upcoming "baby Bronco" that will be released before the actual Bronco. Or it could be the new sub-compact truck, but looking at the spy pics the wheels/tires and 6-lug configuration looks a bit large for a Focus-based chassis. But the rest of the body, even in camo, appears more like a sub-compact pickup than anything else.

There's a baby Bronco coming out before the Bronco.
There's a sub-compact pickup due out probably sometime.
There's an all-electric "Mustang inspired" crossover coming.
The Focus returns in 2020 on an all new platform.

Keep in mind though, say that is the new sub-compact truck on a Focus chassis, it doesn't mean it has to share the drivetrain with the Focus. It's possible it could share 6-lug components with the Ranger to save costs?

Who knows. Guess we'll see when they are finally unveiled. The pictures didn't look very much like what I would imagine a Bronco to be, and given the Bronco won't hit dealers for quite some time, I don't see Ford sneaking it out into the public even if it's heavy camo'ed. Could be wrong tho. If I'm betting, it's not the Bronco.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:52 PM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
google ford courier...thats the new focus based mule running around

Old 03-07-2019, 04:39 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Pocket

What gave that away? The separate bed?

Old 03-07-2019, 02:48 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by someday
google ford courier...thats the new focus based mule running around
There is no way that's what this is. The vehicle in the photo is clearly on a frame, not a unibody platform. It sits too high to be a Focus-based anything.

I still think it's the chassis testing for the Bronco, but using a chopped Ranger body in the meantime to either keep the design a secret or because they haven't finished it.

Quick Reply: FWIW .....