FWIW ..... - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2020 Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco!

FWIW .....

Old 03-11-2019, 08:46 PM
DSLTRK60
Senior User
DSLTRK60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Dentside View Post
You get it. I think Ford won't go the solid axle route just out of fear of being seen as copying the Wrangler.

Wrangler is tops in the segment for every reason you mentioned. No chance of the Bronco competing if it has IFS.
A solid axle is a decades old technology used by all manufacturers. Hardly worried about copying.

I still doubt that spy shot is any relation to the Bronco. I did some digging and all it is is a Ford Everest chassis with a chopped Ranger cab/ bed on it. Could be a ploy by Ford to trick us. Seems to be working.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:49 PM
someday
Posting Guru
someday is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by DSLTRK60 View Post
I think your percentage is off about 70.
I did some digging and all it is is a Ford Everest chassis
can you verify these factoids?

Old 03-11-2019, 11:17 PM
DSLTRK60
Senior User
Originally Posted by someday View Post
can you verify these factoids?

I can point to Wrangler market share in the offroad world specifically due to its live axle and can also point to FCA bean counters.

Surely as you typed '99% of wrangler buyers have no idea what a solid axle is or care as long as they can take the doors and top off' , I can tell you FCA, after spending millions on market research, would have dropped the suspension design that handles worse and is more expensive to build like a hot potato. Certainly the number that 'know' may not exactly be 70%, but it's a hell of a lot more educated guess than 1%. It's gotta be at least 50+% that make added costs worthwhile if the solid axle made it this far.

A quick google search of the Everest shows identical trailing arms, bolt pattern, frame hang down and front a-arms as the spy shot. Lets not make this any more complicated than it needs to be.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:18 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I can point to Wrangler market share in the offroad world specifically due to its live axle and can also point to FCA bean counters.

Surely as you typed '99% of wrangler buyers have no idea what a solid axle is or care as long as they can take the doors and top off' , I can tell you FCA, after spending millions on market research, would have dropped the suspension design that handles worse and is more expensive to build like a hot potato. Certainly the number that 'know' may not exactly be 70%, but it's a hell of a lot more educated guess than 1%. It's gotta be at least 50+% that make added costs worthwhile if the solid axle made it this far.

A quick google search of the Everest shows identical trailing arms, bolt pattern, frame hang down and front a-arms as the spy shot. Lets not make this any more complicated than it needs to be.
I appreciate your passion for hard wheeling but, do you really think that the Bronco is going to have steel bumpers and open wheel wells like the Wrangler? We don't even know what the approach and departure angles are going to look like. This danged thing might be all plastic like the Explorer. None of these scenarios makes for a good off roader.

I agree with you that Wrangler sales dominate the segment but they also fill the used car lots as well. I suspect that many buyers get one for the cool factor and quickly tire of getting their fillings knocked loose every time they hit a bump in the road. Or, the simply tire of the extreme road noise, or the lack of power when mounted with 35" tires, etc.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:51 AM
06pghescape
Senior User
06pghescape is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wrangler Popularity

Unscientific , but based on the three people i know that have /had Wranglers . A 30 something female bartender who bought it because she liked the looks and it had a manual transmission. Got rid of it for many electrical issues and a major oil leak. My barber who has his all rigged up but doesn`t take it off road because he might scratch it up and my niece who thinks they are cute and would not ever take it off road.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:20 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
There's a pretty high population of Wranglers in northern AZ. Most of the ones that are built appear to be used for real wheeling. Some of the stockers do dirt road weekend exploring, some are grocery getters with an edge for when it gets muddy or snow hits town. Based on how many are muddy or scratched up, I'd say about half of them see weekend fun and the other half are just overly-capable commuters.

For those hammering on Wranglers for their ride quality, I'd suggest you go for a spin in a JL. Very plush on the road. Quite amazing off-road, even stock. I'd consider a JLU Diesel if it wasn't going to be over $55k before I even opened an aftermarket catalog.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:47 AM
DSLTRK60
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
I appreciate your passion for hard wheeling but, do you really think that the Bronco is going to have steel bumpers and open wheel wells like the Wrangler? We don't even know what the approach and departure angles are going to look like. This danged thing might be all plastic like the Explorer. None of these scenarios makes for a good off roader.

I agree with you that Wrangler sales dominate the segment but they also fill the used car lots as well. I suspect that many buyers get one for the cool factor and quickly tire of getting their fillings knocked loose every time they hit a bump in the road. Or, the simply tire of the extreme road noise, or the lack of power when mounted with 35" tires, etc.
There are millions of Ford trucks in used car lots also, but of course doesn't mean they are vehicles that are substandard. And a huge amount of people keep buying Wranglers every year. You would think news of bad build quality or horrible ride would spread.

I am not expecting a 1966 revival here, but at least keep the roots of the vehicle in place. If Ford can use a high strength alloy or composite to meet cafe stds that's fine. They did it to the F-series and we still have a nice line of trucks to choose from.

And the Troller is mostly a fiberglass and plastic body, but is arguably Brazil's most capable off road vehicle.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:42 AM
someday
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
or expenses, repairs and maintenance. i drove a jk with 35s and in 6th gear would go slower

Old 03-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader
Toyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputation
or expenses and maintenance. i drove a jk with 35s and in 6th gear would go slower
Yeah, agreed. My last big JK had 35's I added a supercharger and regeared to 4.88 before it had power to run on the highway, only problem with that was the 4.88 had it spinning about 3300 at 72mph. It was fun light to light though.......

Old 03-12-2019, 02:06 PM
Dentside
Junior User
Dentside is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great. IRS as well.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/11/...#slide-7539742

Did anyone read what platform the "baby" bronco was based on? If this really is the "big" Bronco this is a joke.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:27 PM
someday
Posting Guru
i think its safe to say this thing is not coming out this year...hopefully it turns out to be real wrangler fighter...if it has an optional v8 it will be a real winner.

keeping my expectations low. feels like something in the middle like a FJ

if jeep would only make the hemi optional...

Old 03-12-2019, 04:03 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Dentside View Post
Great. IRS as well.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/11/...#slide-7539742

Did anyone read what platform the "baby" bronco was based on? If this really is the "big" Bronco this is a joke.
I would not rely on their analysis.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:05 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
i think its safe to say this thing is not coming out this year...hopefully it turns out to be real wrangler fighter...if it has an optional v8 it will be a real winner.

keeping my expectations low. feels like something in the middle like a FJ

if jeep would only make the hemi optional...
Well, since Ford has flat out stated that it isn't coming out this year, I would think you are correct. My guess - to the point of taking bets - is that it will NOT have a v8 in the first year if ever.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:51 PM
someday
Posting Guru
maybe a "rubicon" model with a v8 or 7.3 brozilla with 35s. as long as there is a v8 in the pipeline theres a chance. didnt know ford said that but not even sure if it will even debut this year. last i heard 2021 f150 reveal before bronco

ford does sometimes surprise like 7.3!

Old 03-12-2019, 06:23 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
maybe a "rubicon" model with a v8 or 7.3 brozilla with 35s. as long as there is a v8 in the pipeline theres a chance. didnt know ford said that but not even sure if it will even debut this year. last i heard 2021 f150 reveal before bronco

ford does sometimes surprise like 7.3!
Maybe someday - we can hope. Then again, supercharging is nice to have at altitude where I do most of my driving... nothing like somebody stealing 20% of your engine's efficiency right off the dealer's lot. Unless it's a v6 that has a lot of torque before turbos spool up, I'd actually be happier with one of the little PowerStroke diesels. But there's more chance of a Coyote finding its way into a Bronco engine bay than a PowerStroke - I'm certain we'll see one with batteries before and probably instead of either of those.

Again, Ford has flat out stated "not this year":

Meaning 2019. One source says Job 1 is December 2020, in dealerships in January or Febuary as a 2021 model year.

Skip to minute 21 where Bronco discussion begins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: