Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Talk me out of a KC38R

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:45 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,465 Likes on 2,854 Posts
@akcooper9 has stock injectors with ~150,000 miles on them and loves the way the 364.5 SXE tows his 5th wheel. He was a tester for the KC363 as well and could not keep the EGT's to a manageable level.

I too have stick injectors, but with 255,000 miles on them. I cannot speak to towing yet because my 5th wheel has been out of commission due to installing solar on it. I can say the unloaded difference is night and day and with ~2000 lbs in the bed the EGT's were ~200 degrees cooler.

You will not be disappointed with the 364.5/.91 and your ZF6 truck, which is what I have too.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:23 AM
coreyATcncfab
Cross-Country
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I dont have any issues towing heavy even in my race tune with 14-15k behind me. I'm running one of the very first KC38R's with the s300sxe turbone wheel in it with 230/100 PIS injectors that are about 3-4yrs old maybe. Engine rpm is key.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:08 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
^^^WTH is that. Think your truck crapped out a tonka hotwheel setup mang. Put a 12ft wall in front of that like the 5'ers have and see what your #'s are then....i'll 2nd T444e as well. Install a ww2..etc and cure the surge along with gaing a few # in boost. It may also help egt enough to your satisfaction...can always sell a turbo w/ww2 for what you paid for the wheel. Cant sell a stock turbo for nothing anymore

Old 02-27-2019, 07:02 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
I've run the stock turbo, stock turbo with RR billet wheel, 38R, 364.5 and now the 366. IMO, of these options, either go with the stock turbo and billet wheel or go with the SXE. If the KC38R is anything like the 38R, i'd skip it. If sticking with stock injectors, the 364.5 with .91 AR housing will be great, but to throw another option out, consider the 363 too. With stock injectors, it would be an ideal match IMO. I ran the 175/80 injectors with the 364.5 and it did really well, but the 366 is a slightly better match.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:11 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandonpdx
That's what I was thinking. Get a RR 4/4 wheel and a 360* rebuild kit. Maybe throw in the KC turbine if you want to get fancy and still save yourself $1000. He doesn't seem like he is trying to build a hot rod anyway.
If he were to choose that route, then throw some bellowed up pipes in mix too. And then when he's not happy with it, he'll have more to sell.

I was trying to build a hotrod either, just something that would pull this down the road.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:31 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
^^^WTH is that. Think your truck crapped out a tonka hotwheel setup mang. Put a 12ft wall in front of that like the 5'ers have and see what your #'s are then....i'll 2nd T444e as well. Install a ww2..etc and cure the surge along with gaing a few # in boost. It may also help egt enough to your satisfaction...can always sell a turbo w/ww2 for what you paid for the wheel. Cant sell a stock turbo for nothing anymore
Youre makin’ me spit my coffee out over here man!

Old 02-27-2019, 12:48 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Deleted...

Old 02-27-2019, 12:59 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Deleted...
I would of loved to see his response. But I understand why you deleted it.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by BLUEMAX65
I would of loved to see his response. But I understand why you deleted it.
I am on my phone and the numbers did not line up with the pictures.

I don't have the talent to make it right on my phone.

EDIT: Going to borrow my wife's laptop and make the questions accurate to the pictures since they are different from what was originally asked.

Be back soon...

Old 02-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by coreyATcncfab
I dont have any issues towing heavy even in my race tune with 14-15k behind me. I'm running one of the very first KC38R's with the s300sxe turbone wheel in it with 230/100 PIS injectors that are about 3-4yrs old maybe. Engine rpm is key.

Corey, you know I respect your opinion, work and products since we have spoken several times at length. When another FTE'r posted these pictures, I had the following questions.

I understand if you are too busy to address them and I have installed a CSD T4 and Borg Warner 364.5 SXE since then. Although, there may be some readers in the future who might have similar questions.

So, if you have more than a few minutes, here are the questions.

1. The grade does not look like much of a grade to me. It looks more like a long rolling hill like we have in the low country of SC where it is a steady incline for a mile or so. I would consider a grade something like in TN or out west.

2. It is difficult to get a good representation of the hill based on the single photo because we don't know the angle and where the driver is at in the grade. Are they in the valley just starting up the hill, are they in the first 1/8 mile? We just don't know.

3. 729 degrees pulling a 14K lbs 5th wheel? Where is the EGT probe located at on the truck. Is it in the manifold like most of us have it or is it in the downpipe which would indicate the reading makes more sense but not a true reading of the EGT's.

4. My truck (not all trucks are created equal) will hover around 600-800 EGT when driving 65 MPH in 5th gear (ZF6 manual) unloaded. Again, the 729 degrees is hard to believe with all things being equal. I am not saying it is not true, just have to see it in person or in a video that has good representation of the load behind the truck and the road/grade/hill it is traveling on at the given speed.

5. We cannot see the speed or RPM of the vehicle.

6. Is there a trailer behind the truck and if so, how do you know?

To keep things straight and easily accessible, below is a link and picture of numbers from the original post original post.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...9&postcount=50

Old 02-27-2019, 01:09 PM
coreyATcncfab
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
I've got a local customer with nearly the exact setup and pulls a 42ft 5'er that scales 14k empty and has the same results as I do, but he's running swamps tuning. Egt's not an issue and cruising up and down the hills in mid Michigan. So not sure what you are trying to make fun of.

That forklift weighs 12,000 lbs with a 2800lb trailer.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:28 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Reposted the questions from the past above. The numbers don't line up as much as they do from the original post, but I have linked the original thread and picture with the post.

Sorry for the confusion...

Old 02-27-2019, 02:00 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I don’t want to call anyone out but I have yet to see any people with a KC38R post a video of them towing heavy up a steady incline at 45mph+.
As a ZF6 owner like Sous I too have 600EGTs in 6th at 65mph unloaded.EDIT: After today i realized its actually around 475* at 65mph My probe is on the manifold.
As soon as I need to bring my boat home from winter storage I can get proof of its new towing abilities.
In CT we have some large inclines that last at most 1 mile, and before I would struggle towing with my previous turbos. There is one particular incline that I am looking forward to posting a video on as it is a 50mph zone at 8% grade over 1 mile, and another of 9% grade .75 miles apart.

Last edited by Markus Luukko; 02-27-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: mis information
Old 02-27-2019, 02:07 PM
coreyATcncfab
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Sous
Reposted the questions from the past above. The numbers don't line up as much as they do from the original post, but I have linked the original thread and picture with the post.

Sorry for the confusion...
The camper pic he sent me was sorta crappy, and I recall he was running around 55--60mph and he was in OD (ZF6). He called me on that trip because he was so impressed with the lower EGT's and quicker boost as a week earlier he was running a Garrett 38R and he mentioned every time he would have to drop a gear and slow down on the way to his hunting cabin in West Virginia. I guess Ill have to wait until spring/summer when it gets back to camping season around here and have him get some better pics.

What are your back pressure numbers on that SXE. Most data logging done show that the BW chargers are significantly higher. Of course depending on which AR housing you are currently using.

KC did do a ton of dyno runs with many setups using a few different tuning shops, and testing pulling 12k up to around 10k in elevation and their 63mm paired very well with 205/30's. Charlie has 100's of dyno runs and a number of short videos showing EGT's.

Not one person (even me) says the T4 is bad. I mean, I'm putting 2 T4 and 2 T6 chargers on my P-pumped engine. But for someone having to pay an extra $1000-1500 (pending upgrades added to the charger) for some exhaust pipe just for maybe 200* in EGT's is typically absurd for most peoples checkbooks. Those that can easily part with the extra money, then sure have at it. I sell a fair amount of T4 kits, but for a balanced view for ROI, "value added" to a product, and a horsepower goal for a customer on a given budget, it simply doesn't make sense. You know what your budget allows, so you had no issues to spend the "expendable income" to make your purchase, but when you work in retail and talk to 100's of people a week, the majority of people are not like you, and are not going to buy a T4 setup unless they are wanting to go past 550hp to the wheels. If someone is really bent on wanting a T4 with only 400hp, sure, Ill sell them one, but I always try to keep the customers checkbook in mind, as we all know that many shops are all about up-selling and filling their back pockets while emptying yours. I simply cant subscribe to that rationale.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by coreyATcncfab
The camper pic he sent me was sorta crappy, and I recall he was running around 55--60mph and he was in OD (ZF6). He called me on that trip because he was so impressed with the lower EGT's and quicker boost as a week earlier he was running a Garrett 38R and he mentioned every time he would have to drop a gear and slow down on the way to his hunting cabin in West Virginia. I guess Ill have to wait until spring/summer when it gets back to camping season around here and have him get some better pics.

What are your back pressure numbers on that SXE. Most data logging done show that the BW chargers are significantly higher. Of course depending on which AR housing you are currently using.

KC did do a ton of dyno runs with many setups using a few different tuning shops, and testing pulling 12k up to around 10k in elevation and their 63mm paired very well with 205/30's. Charlie has 100's of dyno runs and a number of short videos showing EGT's.

Not one person (even me) says the T4 is bad. I mean, I'm putting 2 T4 and 2 T6 chargers on my P-pumped engine. But for someone having to pay an extra $1000-1500 (pending upgrades added to the charger) for some exhaust pipe just for maybe 200* in EGT's is typically absurd for most peoples checkbooks. Those that can easily part with the extra money, then sure have at it. I sell a fair amount of T4 kits, but for a balanced view for ROI, "value added" to a product, and a horsepower goal for a customer on a given budget, it simply doesn't make sense. You know what your budget allows, so you had no issues to spend the "expendable income" to make your purchase, but when you work in retail and talk to 100's of people a week, the majority of people are not like you, and are not going to buy a T4 setup unless they are wanting to go past 550hp to the wheels. If someone is really bent on wanting a T4 with only 400hp, sure, Ill sell them one, but I always try to keep the customers checkbook in mind, as we all know that many shops are all about up-selling and filling their back pockets while emptying yours. I simply cant subscribe to that rationale.
Um my SXE has a perfect 1:1 ratio even up in the 45psi boost range so idk which data logs you are referencing

Edit:
I understand the upselling part, I would be pissed if someone upsold me a part for my truck when I could’ve went with a cheaper alternative. I can name a few companies that have done this and gladly CNC isn’t one of them.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a KC38R