6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Buying A 6.0 With Blown Head Gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 01:44 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
I’d buy a long or short block from a reputable shop with a decent warranty.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:37 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Well, I do have this video coming once my sinus clears enough to finish the voiceover.

Then there's this.

Soooo my plan of eventually buying one of the Ford motors that comes studded is a no-go?

Old 02-09-2019, 03:02 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tfunk88

Soooo my plan of eventually buying one of the Ford motors that comes studded is a no-go?
They couldn’t get the 6.0 right from the beginning and had many updates. I’d trust a good shop to rebuild one with better parts. There are plenty of them out there.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:04 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Check out Anthony Youngblood’s Youtube video where he unboxes new Ford 6.0 heads and they are warped out of spec right out of the box. Guess what? Ford doesn’t believe in milling heads for flatness so they’ll throw warped heads on a block and torque down some head studs and they’ll still probably have blown head gaskets in no time. Not no but HELL NO!
I’m sure some guys on here will attest, I have no personal experience with them but I do own a 6.0 that needs new heads. Probably cracked and warped so I’ll be doing good to get UCF to give me my $250 each core return when I buy my o-ringed heads from them next week.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:11 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

They couldn’t get the 6.0 right from the beginning and had many updates. I’d trust a good shop to rebuild one with better parts. There are plenty of them out there.
To be fair, Navistar might have had something to do with the problems in "the beginning" .................

I agree, Ford owns the re-builds.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:21 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Those are not warped out of spec. They are cupped, but my swag is that is the natural stress of the casting. My one head shows signs it was previously machined but mapping of the surface shows it has the same profile of the other CBN machined head from the factory. So there's a good chance is that where they move to. Do we really think the particular head in that video was machined that way as a new part? It's more likely it stress moved that way afterwards. Clamping over the thinker rings of the gaskets around the cylinders doesn't help and can promote the issue as well.

The Ford engineers I worked with were sharp and would research parts to no end. With in their own department of get Ford's Scientific Research Group to do so. Considering they changed the spec from what the motor manufacturer stated in it's manuals for head flatness tells me they most likely investigated what was happening more then International ever did on their own.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:23 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Mark, I'm not sure Ford owns the rebuilds entirely. CAT did the diesels, my reman tag shows International, and Ford may be getting the part then through International. But I have no problem hitting on Ford for not going after the issue. It's sold to their customers, the dealer and then to the Dealers customer, in this case me.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:24 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Originally Posted by tfunk88

I've not seen anything where there are studs from a Ford supplied reman. Some dealers are willing to do that when they replace HG though.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:36 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
Mark, I'm not sure Ford owns the rebuilds entirely. CAT did the diesels, my reman tag shows International, and Ford may be getting the part then through International. But I have no problem hitting on Ford for not going after the issue. It's sold to their customers, the dealer and then to the Dealers customer, in this case me.
I hear you .... but since Ford had (or has) free will to choose the repair facility, then they should own the repair process (again, just my opinion). Afterall, the 6.0L issues are quite well known and it is Ford's reputation at stake. Even if it is by inspection and quality control audits of the supplier. One could argue that this was the case when new also, but everyone was learning then. In the beginning, when contracts/agreements/data were in their infancy, my opinion is that the original engine manufacturer (Navistar) owned the issues at that time.

I realize it is complicated though .................

Old 02-09-2019, 05:42 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I'm not really challenging one thought or another. I know for us as an example on the Superduty 99-04, we were the supplier of the brake pads to Akebono, Akebono the supplier of the pads and caliper to Ford. But if any problems with pads, it was Ford in our plants. Same for the following years when TRW supplied the calipers. Not first tier. But first tier with the Motorcraft parts. Who's on first.

Warranty cost get eaten by the base supplier, if it was a pad issue, the total burden was on us. The reman situation is a god only knows situation on how the contracts were written. My approach in the video will be it's on Ford.

Went to the store and got Afrin for tomorrow am to see how my voice will be so I can close this up.. The afternoon will be like having a spike in the middle of my forehead.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:10 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
I've not seen anything where there are studs from a Ford supplied reman. Some dealers are willing to do that when they replace HG though.
Yep, you can get it from Ford through the dealer now, my friend who works at a dealer showed me. It does retail at a little over $13k, though 😳

http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/doc...d%20Engine.pdf

Old 02-09-2019, 06:24 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the route I’ll go if I need a long block. Very impressive reviews and some personal friends have a few products and are happy.

https://killdevildiesel.com/collecti...oke-long-block

Old 02-09-2019, 06:31 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I don’t think studs would help .......

Asheville, Killdevil, or someone you know how to evaluate and can. Twice now I should have gotten a salvaged motor and gone from there.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Also studs are not a cure all.
It's the prep that counts the most.
Do a crap prep job and I don't care what type of stud you use it will likely fail.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:46 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure KDD makes a quality reman, but I don't have $6200 in the budget for a new long block. At this point, my options are essentially to buy the truck and take my chances with the heads/block being salvageable, and if not, then try to find a donor engine for it, or pass on the truck and keep looking. I'd rather not pass on it, because $2500 for an '06 with under 100k and exactly the style I'm looking for is a pretty sweet deal.

Quick Reply: Buying A 6.0 With Blown Head Gaskets?