1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 single side window instalation

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 09:29 PM
v2addict
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1956 single side window instalation

Looking for some helpfull advice with the installation of the Mid fifty single side glass, I’m having difficulty understanding the instructions that come with their kit.

I tried a search but have had no luck, I had seen some info on the site a few years ago but was not at that step yet.

any help would be appreciated , I’m not sure how to insert the glass as it seems to large to go in from the top and the instructions say to not go in from the bottom?
it does not appear to be able to go in from the top either.

thank you all.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:34 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
on my 53 (slant cab) I had to insert the window from the top The window mechanics prevent it from the inspection hole (I did mine from the inside of the door) with the forward edge in first then as it moved down rotate it and bring the latch end down as you center it in the felt tracks... it's fun. with a straight window like a 56 it might be more difficult. A call to Mid-50 might help, their instruction sheets are vague in places.

I've had mine in and out close to a gazillion times getting it fitted right... still got the fuzzies to do... don't know if you're in paint yet, it's best to get the fit right BEFORE paint, but if it's too late use nice thick masking tape along both edges of the window opening. both bottom and the vertical also

Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM
v2addict
Junior User
Originally Posted by jniolon
on my 53 (slant cab) I had to insert the window from the top The window mechanics prevent it from the inspection hole (I did mine from the inside of the door) with the forward edge in first then as it moved down rotate it and bring the latch end down as you center it in the felt tracks... it's fun. with a straight window like a 56 it might be more difficult. A call to Mid-50 might help, their instruction sheets are vague in places.

I've had mine in and out close to a gazillion times getting it fitted right... still got the fuzzies to do... don't know if you're in paint yet, it's best to get the fit right BEFORE paint, but if it's too late use nice thick masking tape along both edges of the window opening. both bottom and the vertical also
Thank you

that is what I thought about the glass going in vertically then turning, it just seems ther is no room to turn it once the hardware has been installed, I believe it even says the top opening felt strips are also to be installed. Seems that the glass isthmus last piece to instal?

Angelo

Old 02-09-2019, 10:22 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
AGAIN I'm doing a 53 slant cab, but the window opening felt strips go in after the window is installed or you'll mess them up with the install... what hardware is causing the interference

Old 02-10-2019, 08:37 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
The glass should be inserted through the top opening and dropped down on an angle. When then glass is inside the door then it is rotated, fit into the felt guides and lifted back up into the top opening. Here is the most important part...the glass will not have enough clearance to rotate within the door if the window guide channel piece is installed on the lock side of the door. That piece must be left out of the door until the glass is in place, then install it by slipping it over the felt channel and glass and then bolting it in place. The slant cab glass uses the same process but since the slant cab glass is not rectangular it makes it easier to turn once the glass is dropped into the door. Good luck...

Old 02-10-2019, 09:13 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I did the same a Charlie mentioned except it was the hinge side channel guide that I left loose until the glass was seated in the channel

Old 02-15-2019, 10:02 AM
v2addict
Junior User
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
The glass should be inserted through the top opening and dropped down on an angle. When then glass is inside the door then it is rotated, fit into the felt guides and lifted back up into the top opening. Here is the most important part...the glass will not have enough clearance to rotate within the door if the window guide channel piece is installed on the lock side of the door. That piece must be left out of the door until the glass is in place, then install it by slipping it over the felt channel and glass and then bolting it in place. The slant cab glass uses the same process but since the slant cab glass is not rectangular it makes it easier to turn once the glass is dropped into the door. Good luck...
Thank you this was the information I was looking for, if this is spelled out in the instructions I simply did not understand it.
i will get back to it in the next few weeks as time is not helping me now.

i have the lock side in so I will first attempt to install it with the hinge side loose, if that doesn’t work it’s not difficult to take the lock side apart.

thank you Charlie and John

Angelo

Old 02-15-2019, 10:04 AM
v2addict
Junior User
Originally Posted by jniolon
AGAIN I'm doing a 53 slant cab, but the window opening felt strips go in after the window is installed or you'll mess them up with the install... what hardware is causing the interference
Thank you as well John for your response.

Angelo