Carli Commuter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Carli Commuter

Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 PM
lasallen
Junior User
lasallen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Carli Commuter

I ordered and installed the carli commuter with add a packs on my 17 F-250 hoping to see a drastic improvement in ride quality. Instructions, quality of parts, and ease of installation were all on target. Im thinking I probably should have gone with the full leaf packs. Does anyone have any experiences with the add a pack vs the full leaf pack?

Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 PM
prsdoc
Freshman User
prsdoc is starting off with a positive reputation.
I only have experience with the full pack; have the Carli 2.5 system with full leafs. Ride is much more compliant and less stiff than stock. Downside is the decrease in load, but I added Carli airbags to compensate.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:31 PM
lasallen
Junior User
Originally Posted by prsdoc View Post
I only have experience with the full pack; have the Carli 2.5 system with full leafs. Ride is much more compliant and less stuff than stock. Downside is the decrease in load, but I added Carli airbags to compensate.
I am not really concerned with load capacity, I just want a smoother ride.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 PM
prsdoc
Freshman User
Yes Not sure if you’ll notice much of a change on the F250 with the full leafs, may be worth giving them a call to discuss. What’s your current wheel/tire setup? I’ve got 20’s but more sidewall, than my stock 20s and the ride is definitely improved overall. Just waiting for Carli’s front end torsion bar to come out for the Super Duty which should improve ride even further.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:27 AM
MadeInDade
Senior User
MadeInDade is starting off with a positive reputation.
I recently did the Carli Commuter without leafs because I don't want to lose the payload of my 350, though I may do the add-a-pack at a later time. I can't say I feel a drastic difference, but it's slightly noticeable on bumpy roads.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:02 AM
lasallen
Junior User
Originally Posted by MadeInDade View Post
I recently did the Carli Commuter without leafs because I don't want to lose the payload of my 350, though I may do the add-a-pack at a later time. I can't say I feel a drastic difference, but it's slightly noticeable on bumpy roads.
I cant say that I have felt any difference either

Old 02-10-2019, 08:13 AM
prsdoc
Freshman User
Coming from a ‘17 Raptor, the Carli Backcountry 2.5 with full leafs is a reasonably close “heavy duty” approximation of the plush, compliant yet stable and controlled nature that is the Raptor. Sorry to hear the Commuter 2.0 missed the mark with your expectations.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:16 AM
lasallen
Junior User
Originally Posted by prsdoc View Post
Coming from a ‘17 Raptor, the Carli Backcountry 2.5 with full leafs is a reasonably close “heavy duty” approximation of the plush, compliant yet stable and controlled nature that is the Raptor. Sorry to hear the Commuter 2.0 missed the mark with your expectations.

what wheels and tires do you have?

Old 02-10-2019, 10:26 AM
prsdoc
Freshman User
Originally Posted by lasallen View Post
what wheels and tires do you have?
Method NV605 20x10 with 37x13.5 Nitto Exo Grapplers for the snow rating, wrapped over Wilwood TX6R disc brakes.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:48 PM
honda250xtitan
Elder User
honda250xtitan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Whats your psi at? Carli recommends I believe around 40 when not towing. they've got an article on their site.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:38 PM
brainofjjj
Junior User
brainofjjj is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the Commuter package but left the stock rear spring pack. to get the most compliant ride you need 17" wheels, 20's won't cut it.

Last edited by brainofjjj; 02-10-2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: oops
Old 02-10-2019, 02:50 PM
67L48
Freshman User
67L48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by brainofjjj View Post
[...] to get the most compliant ride you need 17" in tires [...]
Now that's the funniest thing I've read in weeks. The vision of a truck driving down the road with 17" tires is hilarious. 12" wheels wouldn't even work -- the 4.80 x 12 bias ply tires are around 22" in diameter -- way too big! So, I'm thinking of Harbor Freight 8" trailer wheels mounted on that F-350. Now, that's some good stuff!

Old 02-10-2019, 02:53 PM
brainofjjj
Junior User
brainofjjj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Now that's the funniest thing I've read in weeks. The vision of a truck driving down the road with 17" tires is hilarious. 12" wheels wouldn't even work -- the 4.80 x 12 bias ply tires are around 20" in diameter -- way too big! So, I'm thinking of Harbor Freight 8" trailer wheels mounted on that F-350. Now, that's some good stuff!
yeah yeah, that's what i get for writing with a 2 year old in my lap.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:58 PM
jrwinger
Senior User
jrwinger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MadeInDade View Post
Have you thought about going with the full leafs and then adding a set of air bags in the rear? You'll get the better ride of the full pack, and maintain your payload.

I am planning to install a Commuter 2.0 with a full leaf pack (I already have firestone air bags). Should be a huge difference over my stock 350 with Heavy duty service front springs & factory rear springs.

just my .02

Old 02-10-2019, 03:53 PM
lasallen
Junior User
Originally Posted by jrwinger View Post
Have you thought about going with the full leafs and then adding a set of air bags in the rear? You'll get the better ride of the full pack, and maintain your payload.

I am planning to install a Commuter 2.0 with a full leaf pack (I already have firestone air bags). Should be a huge difference over my stock 350 with Heavy duty service front springs & factory rear springs.

just my .02
carli told me the commuter shocks are not tuned to work with full leafs

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.