2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Carli Commuter

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 02:57 PM
jrwinger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lasallen

carli told me the commuter shocks are not tuned to work with full leafs
That's good to know. Looks like I might look at the backcountry kit then. Like suggested above, I'd call carli. From what I know, they're great to work with customer service wise. Maybe they can re-valve your rear shocks to work with the full leaf pack.

Good Luck!

Old 02-10-2019, 03:26 PM
lasallen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrwinger
That's good to know. Looks like I might look at the backcountry kit then. Like suggested above, I'd call carli. From what I know, they're great to work with customer service wise. Maybe they can re-valve your rear shocks to work with the full leaf pack.

Good Luck!
they are absolutely great to work with, I have talked to them numerous times through email and phone. They have responded to every email and answered every phone call. Looking back I would have gone with the back country also. However, carli has told me for highway the commuter is the best setup, but they say you have to have small wheels with big tires.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:32 PM
jrwinger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lasallen
they are absolutely great to work with, I have talked to them numerous times through email and phone. They have responded to every email and answered every phone call. Looking back I would have gone with the back country also. However, carli has told me for highway the commuter is the best setup, but they say you have to have small wheels with big tires.

awesome - thanks for the info. It's why I love this forum. Did you buy direct through carli?

Old 02-10-2019, 03:35 PM
lasallen
Junior User
Originally Posted by jrwinger
aw

awesome - thanks for the info. It's why I love this forum. Did you buy direct through carli?
CJCoffroad, and they were just as helpful as carli

Old 02-10-2019, 06:06 PM
MadeInDade
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just wanted to clarify. I wasn’t complaining about the Carli kit at all. I love it. I just don’t want people to get the impression that this kit turns your truck from an 1800’s stagecoach to the softest riding Cadillac ever. Though everyone talks about the ride difference between the 250’s and 350’s, I didn’t notice that crazy of a difference and I went from an F-150 to a 350. Sure the 350 isn’t quite as smooth as a 150, but it’s not earth shattering.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:01 PM
lasallen
Junior User
Originally Posted by MadeInDade
I just wanted to clarify. I wasn’t complaining about the Carli kit at all. I love it. I just don’t want people to get the impression that this kit turns your truck from an 1800’s stagecoach to the softest riding Cadillac ever. Though everyone talks about the ride difference between the 250’s and 350’s, I didn’t notice that crazy of a difference and I went from an F-150 to a 350. Sure the 350 isn’t quite as smooth as a 150, but it’s not earth shattering.
I Agree!!!!!

Old 02-10-2019, 11:18 PM
arenner18
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brainofjjj
I have the Commuter package but left the stock rear spring pack. to get the most compliant ride you need 17" wheels, 20's won't cut it.
Actually the commuter is the only one tuned for 20’s knowing that most people going with that kit will keep it on the pavement.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:09 AM
mikeym1
Cross-Country
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
if youre still running 60-65psi in your tires, thats your problem. air down to 40psi while unloaded and all will be well. the difference is literally night and day. i lowered the TPMS warning light level through my SCT, but i believe it can be done through forscan as well at no cost.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:21 AM
MadeInDade
Senior User
Originally Posted by mikeym1
if youre still running 60-65psi in your tires, thats your problem. air down to 40psi while unloaded and all will be well. the difference is literally night and day. i lowered the TPMS warning light level through my SCT, but i believe it can be done through forscan as well at no cost.
How is 40psi going to affect the longevity of my $1,800 tires?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 AM
mikeym1
Cross-Country
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MadeInDade

How is 40psi going to affect the longevity of my $1,800 tires?
i'm not sure what tires you are running, but i have 37x12.50x20 ridge grapplers on oem 20s. they're rated 3750lbs at 65psi, 15,000lbs total capacity for the truck. looking at toyo's load rating tables, the tire at 40psi is rated at 2705lbs per tire, 10,820lbs total for the truck. my 6.7 4wd crew cab f250 only has 10,000gvwr, and a curb weight of probably ~6500lbs. even at 40psi, these tires are technically more capable than my truck is. i have ~35k miles on my truck with these tires, and while they have been balanced/rotated at every oil change, they are wearing perfectly flat and appear to have another 25-30k in them. i love these tires and the way my truck rides.

so to answer your question... from my experience, absolutely no affect on the longevity of the tires.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:14 AM
brainofjjj
Junior User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arenner18

Actually the commuter is the only one tuned for 20’s knowing that most people going with that kit will keep it on the pavement.
Care to share a link to that? This is from the Carli site for the Commuter kit. https://carlisuspension.com/product/...2-0-system-17/
"Wheel and Tire: On our 2.5” Ford Systems, we recommend 17”-18” wheels, no more than 9” wide with 5.5” of backspacing"

I drove it with the 20's lowered to 45 psi and then swapped my 17's and it was a huge difference. Anyone moving to this setup should just try it, if you started with 20's that is.

My shop, Texas MotorWorx told me i could run the stock rear leaf to keep full utility of the bed and could swap anytime if i didn't like the ride. Frankly it's been fine so i'll likely leave them since i tow regularly and don't want to lose payload. I might add airbags and a Deaver progressive at some point but it's not urgent.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 AM
lasallen
Junior User
Originally Posted by brainofjjj
Care to share a link to that? This is from the Carli site for the Commuter kit. https://carlisuspension.com/product/...2-0-system-17/
"Wheel and Tire: On our 2.5” Ford Systems, we recommend 17”-18” wheels, no more than 9” wide with 5.5” of backspacing"

I drove it with the 20's lowered to 45 psi and then swapped my 17's and it was a huge difference. Anyone moving to this setup should just try it, if you started with 20's that is.

My shop, Texas MotorWorx told me i could run the stock rear leaf to keep full utility of the bed and could swap anytime if i didn't like the ride. Frankly it's been fine so i'll likely leave them since i tow regularly and don't want to lose payload. I might add airbags and a Deaver progressive at some point but it's not urgent.
What size tires do you have on your 17's??

Old 02-11-2019, 09:01 AM
MadeInDade
Senior User
Originally Posted by mikeym1
i'm not sure what tires you are running, but i have 37x12.50x20 ridge grapplers on oem 20s. they're rated 3750lbs at 65psi, 15,000lbs total capacity for the truck. looking at toyo's load rating tables, the tire at 40psi is rated at 2705lbs per tire, 10,820lbs total for the truck. my 6.7 4wd crew cab f250 only has 10,000gvwr, and a curb weight of probably ~6500lbs. even at 40psi, these tires are technically more capable than my truck is. i have ~35k miles on my truck with these tires, and while they have been balanced/rotated at every oil change, they are wearing perfectly flat and appear to have another 25-30k in them. i love these tires and the way my truck rides.

so to answer your question... from my experience, absolutely no affect on the longevity of the tires.
I’m running 37x12.5r22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I understand that the tires can handle the low PSI, I was just under the impression that they would wear a lot quicker at such a low PSI.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:07 AM
Davparks2
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I also installed the back country on my 2017 Diesel King Ranch F250 with 20s. I did not do anything to the rear other than I had already added load lifter 5000 bags to keep it level when loaded. I keep them at 5 psi when unloaded. I also was not overly impressed with the ride improvement. I can tell some slight difference but I am definitely still bumpy at the back. I don't regret the purchase, truck looks great and is more capable just disappointed in ride.

I am running 295/65/20 ridge grapplers and I generally run them at 50 psi all the way around. The tire pressure seemed to make a bigger improvement. I still want to find more improvement in the ride and was thinking about biting the bullet for the rear full leafs but I was concerned I would drop even more coin for not much gain. Also Carli told me they don't recommend air bags if you do full leafs because they apparently have more travel then stock and will contact the bags on compression which you will feel. Alternatively I was also thinking about adding sulastic shackle springs to the rear.

Will the rear full springs really improve the ride enough to justify the cost or should I look at something else to improve ride?

Do you think I could go all the way down to 40 psi with the ridge grapplers? I was concerned because they are hardly bigger than stock.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 AM
lasallen
Junior User
Originally Posted by Davparks2
I also installed the back country on my 2017 Diesel King Ranch F250 with 20s. I did not do anything to the rear other than I had already added load lifter 5000 bags to keep it level when loaded. I keep them at 5 psi when unloaded. I also was not overly impressed with the ride improvement. I can tell some slight difference but I am definitely still bumpy at the back. I don't regret the purchase, truck looks great and is more capable just disappointed in ride.

I am running 295/65/20 ridge grapplers and I generally run them at 50 psi all the way around. The tire pressure seemed to make a bigger improvement. I still want to find more improvement in the ride and was thinking about biting the bullet for the rear full leafs but I was concerned I would drop even more coin for not much gain. Also Carli told me they don't recommend air bags if you do full leafs because they apparently have more travel then stock and will contact the bags on compression which you will feel. Alternatively I was also thinking about adding sulastic shackle springs to the rear.

Will the rear full springs really improve the ride enough to justify the cost or should I look at something else to improve ride?

Do you think I could go all the way down to 40 psi with the ridge grapplers? I was concerned because they are hardly bigger than stock.
carli told me the biggest difference in the small bumps/expansion joints would come from 18 inch wheels with 35 or 37 inch tires

Quick Reply: Carli Commuter