Rolling/Loping Idle - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Rolling/Loping Idle

Old 03-04-2019, 09:00 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Justin Jones View Post
Fired up perfectly this afternoon leaving from work. Fully warmed up I was seeing ICP fluctuating from 640 to 645. Is that the normal range?
Baseline I use when fully warmed up +186f at idle, normal is around 588 psi @ 21% for a healthy system.
What was the IPR %? A low coolant temp. may show a higher ICP.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:50 PM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Justin Jones is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ah, it was 192 EOT, I didn't have ECT showing. I'll check that next time. I can also get the reading on IPR then to.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Today 196 EOT and 190 ECT were pretty stabilized. IPR was steady at 23.5 and ICP was ranging from 580 - 586.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 PM
theonlypheonix
Senior User
theonlypheonix is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Justin Jones View Post
. But the truck runs good. There's a little bit of hint of a stumble at idle. I don't really know how to explain it. The idle isn't perfectly smooth.
While I ran T6 oil for most of the life of my 6.0L PS during which it had idled flawlessly for around 148K mi. Then at that point the engine developed a tick (sudden but momentary slight drop in RPM ) which only continued to get worse. A one point it seem as the injection would turn off for a fraction of a second but would again catch again before the rpm dropped below 300 rpm. This cycle would repeat on an irregular intermittent basis but otherwise ran strong while driving . Problem was resolved by replacing the ICP sensor, idled perfect again.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:28 AM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Thanks for the info. I think my ICP values look good after I let it warm up to check them. I don't see anything out of the ordinary with any codes etc.

I guess the title of the thread should be changed to Miss At Startup now. The first time I've started after full cold soak and it missed for about 2 seconds this morning leaving for work. It's a lot warmer today that it's been lately, even earlier this week. Funny thing is after using Forscan I thought I would get some codes or something. But I'm getting nothing.

How do I tell which injector is sticking?

Old 03-08-2019, 09:37 AM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Before the first start of the day do an injector Buzz test with Forscan. During the test Listen for the audible clicks in rhythm, in order starting with cyl. 1, 2, 3...ect. If you dont hear a click make note what cylinder it was. Good chance that will be a faulty injector, possibly stiction.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Well I haven't had a chance to check the injector buzz test. What should ICP be during cranking? I noticed mine during cranking this morning jumped up to 1085 I think. I just barely caught it at a glance. Then once the truck fired it fell below to about 983 or so and that was during the miss. The idled smoothed about when it jumped back over 1000. I don't know if this is a symptom of a bad ICP sensor or a by product of the miss.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:37 PM
Justin Jones
Elder User
I ran the Forscan Lite KOEO Injector Electrical Self Test. I got codes for every injector. P0261, P0264, P0267, P0270, P0273, P0276, P0279, P0282. Then ran the KOEO On Demand Self-Test and got all of the same codes.

Is the Injector Electrical Self Test know as the injector buzz test? If I'm getting codes for ALL of the injectors that means FICM right?

Thanks for all of the help so far guys.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:13 AM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Thoughts anyone?

Old 03-17-2019, 12:57 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
It probably means the FICM since those are circuit codes, but make sure the FICM harness connectors are FULLY seated and that there isn't a wiring issue!

Old 03-17-2019, 02:22 PM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Will do, thanks Mark. I knew I was having some FICM trouble when the weather was colder. I thought I was okay for awhile since it's been a little warmer. FICM repair will be my next stop.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:23 AM
Justin Jones
Elder User
Well I checked the connections on the FICM and they seemed like they wouldn't budge; all the way plugged in. But I may have made things worse because now I do have a check engine light on with P0202, P0261, P0264 and C2102, C2402. I can't seem to find anything out about the chassis codes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.