6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Emergency: Truck died and need to get it home

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:51 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by jkeen579
I got the scan gauge programmed and the ICP voltage is .23. After doing all of this cranking, I did notice the oil pressure gauge does come up. Had the wife in the truck and she was looking a trans temp instead of oil pressure.
I was waiting for this. On some trucks that gauge can take a pretty long crank to come up. Personally, I'd first try to retorque the injector with new copper rings - they don't cost much and it's the most likely problem since that's what you worked on. Sometimes the threads on the hold down clamp bolts get stretched a little. Is this the first time that injector has been out? You can buy a new bolt or torque an extra pound or two. If you know anyone with a SnapOn or IDS scanner that can do a cylinder contrib test, you might see the leak.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:16 AM
jkeen579
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Believe it or not I am just now getting to work on my truck again. So I bought the connector to manually activate the IPR but when I give it voltage, the IPR does nothing. No click or anything. I pulled it back out to test it on the bench and still nothing. Can all of my problems above be caused by a bad IPR?

Old 02-24-2019, 12:27 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Oh yeah. Sat on the side of the road in Arkansas for a week tearing into stuff only to find it was the valve. They're about $300 from the dealer. Be nice to swap in a known good one to see if that fixes it before you buy a new one. I can pull one off one of my trucks if you're in the Houston area.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:10 PM
jkeen579
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really appreciate that but I’m in Memphis TN. I’m tempted to go and get one. I think if it was good it would be clicking when I apply voltage.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:32 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Check the junk yards for a used one, and if it fixes the problem just keep it as a spare if you'd rather have a new one.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:12 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Another issue with the injector hold downs is people don’t know to blow the hole out with compressed air to make sure there is no debris or oil in it. Oil especially will cause an improper torque value because the bolt pushes against the oil and shows proper torque then later on the oil seeps out of the threads and the fastener backs out some allowing the injector to move up which will cause several issues.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:17 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Check the junk yards for a used one, and if it fixes the problem just keep it as a spare if you'd rather have a new one.
I picked mine up for $65 and it has 10,000 miles on it now.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Most people think they will hear something when powering the IPR. You won't. The valve is closed and the pressure
the pressure from the HPOP forces it open. Power is applied by the PCM in PWM format to hold it closed against the
pressure. That is how a digital device controls something analog.

To make this less confusing. The valve is closed and the power keeps it closed. Turn the power off and anything it was
holding back. Be it air or oil pressure. It gets dumped out the vent holed back into the crankcase.

Some times some tiny trash will get past the screen and block the valve open. When that happens you don't get the
needed pressure. There is an easy way to clean the valve. You take a awl or small punch. Remove the screen. Push
the tool into the small hole behind the screen and you will weel it hit a stop. Push on it and you will feel it move back.
Use some brake or carb cleaner to flush the valve out from where you have the awl pushing it open. The spring will
close it as soon as you let the pressure off. If you use something to catch what comes out you can check for trash if
you would like to see if anything was in there.

More info if you want to read about it.

A Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Signal is a method for generating an analog signal using a digital source. ... By cycling a digital signal off and on
at a fast enough rate, and with a certain duty cycle, the output will appear to behave like a constant voltage analog signal when providing power to devices.
May 2, 2018

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019OkFSAU

I looked for a good visualization of how this works and did not find one I liked.
Basically the longer the pulse on time the higher the pressure. You can see that
if you look at the signal with an oscilloscope.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:57 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,735 Posts
Sean, the IPR valve is open until the PCM grounds it.

Many people hear it click when commanded closed, especially when air is flowing and the valve is closed (stopping the air flow). That said, I know people say they can't hear the click. I can hear mine click.

The valve is "duty cycled" closed w/ the PCM ground. It is a fast acting valve.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I disagree. I have two on the bench.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,735 Posts
So why do we have to apply the power and ground to the IPR to seal the system and do the pressure test?

Edit - let me clarify .......

When I say "open", I mean open to the crankcase.

Another edit, I see what you are saying now ............... the valve has a return spring that will hold it closed to the drain (not a particularly strong spring), but the actuator isn't in the closed position until power and ground applied. B+ power is applied w/ key on (and is continually supplied), ground is applied in a duty cycled manner by the PCM when cranking,

Old 02-24-2019, 06:33 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
Sean, the IPR valve is open until the PCM grounds it.

Many people hear it click when commanded closed, especially when air is flowing and the valve is closed (stopping the air flow). That said, I know people say they can't hear the click. I can hear mine click.

The valve is "duty cycled" closed w/ the PCM ground. It is a fast acting valve.
Correct. Applying power/ground to the IPR manually CLOSES the valve to keep the produces HPOP pressure in the system. Take away the power/ground the generated pressure will force open the valve and bleed off pressure back to the crankcase instead of the system.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Sorry about that I got distracted and did not finish my thoughts.

If the valve were open then there would be no need to depress the spring so that you can spray brake cleaner spray in to wash out junk.
Electrically it is an open circuit until the PCM closes it by supplying a ground (current sink).

If I can get at the valves I have in the garage I will take a closer look at them and report back on it.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:56 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
We're talking about it in a pressurizing state which easily over powers that spring. Power/ground to the IPR CLOSES it to build pressure.
If it was default closed and powering it opens it, then a failed IPR would build max pressure on a crank. We know that doesn't happen.
Also when an IPR screen breaks and gets stuck in the valve, the screen holds it open dumping all the pressure. The IPR tries to pull it closed @ the 87% DC to build pressure.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:02 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I see we are all now on the same page with this.

If I can find that valve out in that big pile I have out there I will see if I can take it apart for display.

Quick Reply: Emergency: Truck died and need to get it home