2019 - 2023 Ranger Everything about the new 2019-2023 Ford Ranger.

Initial demand looks good....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:32 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I suspect the true sale prices will be a lot closer after initial demand is soaked up and dealer lots fill up with them, maybe near the end of this year. The MSRP of those two vehicles is pretty close, so it's just a matter of discounts, which are gong to be tiny on the new model ranger. If you have to buy today, then that's a big deal, but if you are patient, the difference will be very small.
Very much. The Colorado's were selling higher than the Silverado's when they came out. The Silverado had $10k in factory rebates, dealer rebates etc. a lot like comparing the Ranger to the F-150 right now. I have 7 months before I have to buy. I am a loyal Ford guy, but not to a fault. I have been shopping Tacoma's ( IMO easily the best looking mid size ) after seeing how well it did towing on the TFL Ike gauntlet test and I can get an SR5, nicely equipped ( Ranger XLT ) 4x4 Crew cab for $33k. The sticker shock of the Ranger drove me to look elsewhere and I am liking other options that I otherwise would not have even considered. I like the Ranger powertrain the best in the class ( I'm disappointed the 3.6 GM is quicker, if we only had the 2.7 EB 😤 ) but I'm basically forced to buy an XL with a radio screen that is smaller than my cell phone ( swore I'd always opt for the bigger screen after having the 4.2" in my F-150 ), so I'd have to get the co-pilot 360 to have back up sensors to make up for the fact that it's too small for practicality. In the end I don't know what I'll end up with other than it won't say Chevrolet anywhere, it's kind of splitting hairs as far as which one is better, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I just think that although the Ranger is a formidable competitor in the class, Ford really cut too many corners and dropped the ball too many times. They were "working" on this truck since at least 2014............. I'll likely go for what I feel is the best deal between the Tacoma, Frontier and Ranger, but the Ranger is gonna have to come down about $5k in the real world for that to happen.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:22 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
The worst part is that the rebates will be larger and faster if the ranger is a flop! If it proves to be capable and popular, the real rebates will take a lot longer to arrive. Kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. It's my opinion that there's a lot of great options out there, we are spoiled for choice!

Old 02-19-2019, 06:33 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
just wait 10 years and buy one for 3500$ used.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Most buyers here in the US seem to know that the Ranger has existed for at least a few years overseas, but are not aware that the body style is 8 years old, nor do they care. Few outside of this forum are aware that it may be replaced with an all-new generation in just 3-4 years. They are simply excited to see the Ranger back in the US market and are eager to see how it measures up to what they remember of the old Ranger. This truck, by virtue of its name, has some very big shoes to fill! They certainly don't care what kind of jack it has for changing a spare tire! I think many modern buyers are even coming to the point where they no longer care if a vehicle even has a spare because they wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. I'm not one of them. Actually in all the years I've been driving and all the vehicles I've had, I've only had to use my spare once. (As I knock on my fake-wood desk! )
I actually think the styling is still very contemporary when compared to its competition. As for pricing, it's in line with its competition from Toyota and GM. Spec one out the way you would want it and compare it to a Toyota or GM twin and see for yourself. Don't compare it to the Frontier. Of course Nissan can undercut the competition on pricing, their truck is 15 years old.
Having said all this, I believe the new Ranger will do quite well in its segment once it really gets ramped up and becomes a familiar sight on the roads.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:16 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
One of the things that I find interesting is that Ford hasn't had a huge ad campaign on this one, at least not in my area.

I was at the dealer on Monday (President's day) just beginning my ultra preliminary looking for my wife's new vehicle and the salesperson that I was speaking with said they haven't sold a Ranger yet and they've had them on the lot for a few weeks now. He stated that the pricing is killing them right now. F-series are flying off the shelves.

I'm a little bummed because I was stoked up over this one. I'm looking to downsize in a few years so we'll have to wait and see what the next one brings.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:18 AM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I've received prices on two Lariats very close in spec with a msrp of 44,750 and pricing I was able to get through my fleet contracts was right around 42,200 as there are no incentives or rebates yet.
There's at least two $750 rebates for the Ranger floating around right now. I got one by registering for a test ride on the auto-show circuit, and another by registering on the Ford web site last November.
I'm using one that expires in July to buy the Ranger that I have on order. (I have the vin, but it's not in production yet.)

Old 02-21-2019, 08:50 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
just wait 10 years and buy one for 3500$ used.
not in my neck of the woods

Old 02-22-2019, 01:09 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I haven’t seen one on the road yet. I saw a 4x4 Lariat in a parking lot the other day, but it belonged to a rental company.

I must say, it looks better in person than in pictures.

Ford sure did a poor job on pricing. They needed to undercut Toyota and GM to get them out on the road. A satisfied owner is great advertising.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:34 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Ford sure did a poor job on pricing. They needed to undercut Toyota and GM to get them out on the road. A satisfied owner is great advertising.
I hear stuff like this all the time, about how Ford (or other large companies) have done some boneheaded move in marketing or pricing a vehicle. Personally, I trust Ford to do an excellent job of both marketing and pricing these vehicles for maximum corporate profit. While it would be fun for us fanboys to see thousands on this "new" ranger on the road so we could feel good about "beating" Toyota and GM, that's probably not the path to long term corporate success.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:07 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I hear stuff like this all the time, about how Ford (or other large companies) have done some boneheaded move in marketing or pricing a vehicle. Personally, I trust Ford to do an excellent job of both marketing and pricing these vehicles for maximum corporate profit. While it would be fun for us fanboys to see thousands on this "new" ranger on the road so we could feel good about "beating" Toyota and GM, that's probably not the path to long term corporate success.
Going to market with a low price can sell a few more vehicles up front, but price increases **** people off. Makes more sense to come in a bit high and lower prices or add rebates if sales don't meet expectatons. The '96 Taurus/Sable came in with high prices (and were expensive to build), and Ford lowered them by a couple grand in the years following because the unpopular styling held back sales. This strategy might **** off a few of the early buyers who feel that they had to pay too much, but it's always a balancing act.

It was on front pages of every news feed that Ford is cancelling cars because they don't make money on them....and it does not take much reading between the lines to understand that this means trucks=where the money is.

Building the Ranger in the US is a bit more expensive, and have you noted that a fully loaded Escape comes in at almost $40k on the sticker? The Escape is a Focus with an SUV costume, and they couldn't sell Focuses for $20k....

Old 03-10-2019, 06:36 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
The first quarter sales report will be interesting, only 22 or so days!! Ford estimated 1,200 Rangers would be sold in January. " Massive O.T. " was approved starting February 1st due to the unexpected demand. The dealer near me, that inventories over 100 F-150's and sells in high volume, has sold 2 Rangers. 1 of them being from their original in stock units from January and 1 being an XL Scab 4x4 that was under $33k and sold in 2 or 3 days. The 3 XLT Sport 302a $40-$43k trucks are still sitting on their lot, now with $1,300-$1,450 off MSRP showing on the windshield. So unless this dealer had a bunch of customer orders they have been filling, and that may very well be the case, I am calling bs on this "high demand". And even if the dealer was selling customer ordered trucks, it isn't looking great for the rest of the market if they have 3 all new high demand trucks siting on their lot for 6 weeks. I really hope Ford didn't dupe the customers with fake news.......

Old 03-11-2019, 12:48 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
Just yesterday, TFL Truck posted another YouTube video showing a guy who bought a 2018 F-150 Supercab STX 4x4 with the 2.7L EcoBust and only paid $30,500 for it. Granted, he searched the internet and found the best price and then jumped on a plane to go get it. But, given the choice between that SWEET truck for $30,500 or a Ranger for $40,000 how many people are really going to go with the Ranger?

If Toyota would actually do a full frame-up redesign on the Tacoma which is over a decade old, the Tacoma and Gladiator would combine to pretty much monopolize the midsize truck segment for 2020. I really thought that Ford would bring their A-game seeing how much this segment has heated up in the last few years.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Bryan-G
Junior User
I drove another Ranger today and I’m very confident it’s gonna be my next truck. I have a F150 super crew 4x4 now and love it but I no longer need or want the full size truck. I will have a hard time paying as much if not more for a smaller truck than a F150 but it’s what I’m wanting. I’m hoping they come down some or incentives get better in the next 6-9 months when my lease is up.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:11 AM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don’t see why the Ranger would be any different than the rest of Fords products, I mean seriously who pays msrp on a Superduty or F150 and if so why

Old 03-12-2019, 06:54 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
I don’t see why the Ranger would be any different than the rest of Fords products, I mean seriously who pays msrp on a Superduty or F150 and if so why
Not many people do, but there are some.

Why? Because they have to be the first to have the latest and greatest.

Quick Reply: Initial demand looks good....