Reducing "bounce" towing 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:39 AM
Big Mak
Tuned
Received 179 Likes on 78 Posts
Reducing "bounce" towing 5th wheel

Hi guys,
I have a 9,000 lb 5th wheel trailer that is a 2000 Gulfstream Yellowstone, used twice by Dad, that I bought in June and drove it home on a 3 week slow trip from MN to WA state.
This will be our new full time home when we sell our home in WA state and move to MT while our house is being built in Lakeside, MT.

Now, Dad's 2000 F350 2WD with 7.3 powerstroke and HD suspension has 62,000 miles on it, more now that we drove it home.
With the trailer loaded, it sits perfectly level, with about 1" clearance on the overload spring.
The shocks are the original OEM that came with the truck.
I noticed a bit of "bounce" if you will when hitting bad dips in the road, which forces the weight of the trailer to engage the overload springs. Then a second "Bounce" as if the shocks are not doing their job? The rig handles great except that 2nd bounce has me concerned. Is this normal?
I have about 30 years of experience towing various trailers and boats but this is my first 5th wheel.

My final question is, if I put some good shocks on it (Thinking of Bilsteins, I've had great success with those on a 1997 F250 in the past with a truck camper) would the Bilsteins or equivelent eliminate that 2nd "bounce" after hitting a bad section of road?
Do I just replace the rear shocks since its 2WD?

Photos: 1st photo was after a good washing and waxing.
2nd photo was right out of the RV barn where the RV was kept at Dad's farm.

Thanks! I know, many questions here. I bolded them.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:24 AM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
First I would replace the shocks all the way around, I use Monroe Gas Magnums. On my 2000 and now my 2013 F350 DRW I use air bags to help the rebound when hitting the dips you are talking about along with good shocks. I only run 40 psi in them but it's enough to help the rebound, yes it's the overloads causing a lot of the problem along with bad roads.

Denny

Old 01-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Big Mak
Tuned
Thanks Denny!

Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Like rvpuller said, shocks first and if you are going to continue pulling it put on a set of air bags. I run Bilstein 5100's on mine with Firestone air bags. I use the air bags to get the ride height high enough that I am not banging on the overloads on every bump. Getting the tongue weight right for the load will help as well, too light and the tail of 5th will want to lift the nose on big bumps. I use the freshwater tank to balance things out.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:46 AM
Big Mak
Tuned
Thanks JSM!

Old 01-23-2019, 03:40 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
+1, shocks first, then look at airbags or Timbrens that replace the stock bump stop.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:26 PM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the similar issue when with our 5ver was really loaded down, and more gear in the box. I estimate my normal pin weight about 2400 lbs, on a trip over Xmax, had lots of extra gear, including a 'green egg' grill, lots of bouncing on bride decks. I've seen other posts where users have shimmed the lower overload spring. I came up with this idea - they are actually feeling wedges, made of HDPE ( painted them black) this pic is with 5ver hooked up. I think sliding the wedge deeper into spring will increase stiffness.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 AM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by 7591250sd

I had the similar issue when with our 5ver was really loaded down, and more gear in the box. I estimate my normal pin weight about 2400 lbs, on a trip over Xmax, had lots of extra gear, including a 'green egg' grill, lots of bouncing on bride decks. I've seen other posts where users have shimmed the lower overload spring. I came up with this idea - they are actually feeling wedges, made of HDPE ( painted them black) this pic is with 5ver hooked up. I think sliding the wedge deeper into spring will increase stiffness.
That may work in the short term but in the long term you will damage your springs because you are putting all the pressure midway out on the spring causing it to bend and break over time. Leaf springs are designed engage from the axle out spreading the load out over the length of the spring not at one point.

Denny

Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 AM
Redpine
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi fellas,

Sorry for piggybacking onto this thread but I'd hate to duplicate a very similar question. I'm also currently pulling a fifth wheel and if the road I'm on is a bit uneven or has small dips and valleys, I notice the front end of my truck kind of bouncing a bit. The rear feels fine. The bounce will only last for a second or two but it's just an odd feeling.

What would be the cause of front end bounce on the tow vehicle?

Thanks

Old 01-24-2019, 10:12 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,624 Likes on 2,730 Posts
Originally Posted by Redpine
Hi fellas,

Sorry for piggybacking onto this thread but I'd hate to duplicate a very similar question. I'm also currently pulling a fifth wheel and if the road I'm on is a bit uneven or has small dips and valleys, I notice the front end of my truck kind of bouncing a bit. The rear feels fine. The bounce will only last for a second or two but it's just an odd feeling.

What would be the cause of front end bounce on the tow vehicle?

Thanks
Where is your pin in relation to the axle? Right above the axle? Behind the axle?

Old 01-24-2019, 10:19 AM
Redpine
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Where is your pin in relation to the axle? Right above the axle? Behind the axle?
Yes, right over the axle. In an 8 foot bed with a standard hitch.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Big Mak
Tuned
@7591250sd
Small world, I grew near Forest Lake MN and attended FLHS from 1974-1978. We lived in Hugo.
My sister and dad still live there in Hugo (Cindra Schmidt, Gordie Nelson)
I headed West at age 18 and worked for Boeing in Seattle up until retirement in June 2018.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:26 PM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
That may work in the short term but in the long term you will damage your springs because you are putting all the pressure midway out on the spring causing it to bend and break over time. Leaf springs are designed engage from the axle out spreading the load out over the length of the spring not at one point.

Denny
Thanks for advice.. Torquelift makes a gadget, that bolts onto lower leaf, and has a spacer that swings into place when needed, about 200$..
I seldom have the bounce issue ( only when really loaded down ) so I'll just test, and see if this helps. I wonder if adding a spacer so the upper overloads engage sooner would help, I have the camper package upper overload sprins. Tia

Old 01-24-2019, 01:25 PM
Big Mak
Tuned
Fellas
Can I replace just the rear shocks for the time being?
Then monitor the dip.
I had firestone airbags on a 1997 F250 back in 2004 and after a year one side started leaking. I had it repaired by the shop that installed them but about a year later, that same side started leaking again, like 10 lbs per week.
Needless to say I'm a fan of how airbags perform but NOT a fan of the quality control in regards to airbags.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:34 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,624 Likes on 2,730 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Mak
Fellas
Can I replace just the rear shocks for the time being?
Then monitor the dip.
I had firestone airbags on a 1997 F250 back in 2004 and after a year one side started leaking. I had it repaired by the shop that installed them but about a year later, that same side started leaking again, like 10 lbs per week.
Needless to say I'm a fan of how airbags perform but NOT a fan of the quality control in regards to airbags.
My thought on shocks is, "If you think they're shot, they probably were quite a while ago." One of my shocks was toast before 5,000 miles. The Rancho 9000XL shocks are working well.

I hear of very few airbag failures here on the forum. I don't have airbags on my truck. If I get a 5th wheel then that will likely change.

There's a section of road on the way to Casper Wyoming that is so bad I couldn't go over 40 MPH. It was like being on a roller coaster. Otherwise, my truck is stable.

Quick Reply: Reducing "bounce" towing 5th wheel