Reducing "bounce" towing 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 03:44 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
No reason you can't replace just rear shocks, if the tire wear is good on the front they may be fine.

Your airbag experience sounds like an install problem.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:18 PM
Big Mak
Tuned
Received 179 Likes on 78 Posts
I just put new tires on it.
Thanks, JSM

Old 01-24-2019, 07:10 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Mak
Fellas
Can I replace just the rear shocks for the time being?
Then monitor the dip.
I had firestone airbags on a 1997 F250 back in 2004 and after a year one side started leaking. I had it repaired by the shop that installed them but about a year later, that same side started leaking again, like 10 lbs per week.
Needless to say I'm a fan of how airbags perform but NOT a fan of the quality control in regards to airbags.
Check out Timbrens.....just a bigger bump stop. I have them on my 350 and they work well. I started with the standard ones for my truck but then switched to 1.25” shorter Aeon springs (the rubber part).

I had Firestone bags on my previous 250 and like the Timbrens better. Just install and forget. However, if I ever leveled my truck, I’ll install Airlift bags and compressor for leveling purposes.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:53 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts
^^^ i 2nd the Rancho 9000XLs, much larger diameter than stock

From top down, rear Rancho 9000XL, rear stock shock, stock collapsed front shock

Off my '99 7.3, single rear wheel like the OP's picture.

One bit of advice on the Ranchos, spray them with clear coat b4 install. Internet reveiws say they get surface rust in a couple months if you don't. Sprayed mine, still no rust

Old 01-25-2019, 05:18 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
I would try shocks on the rear first before I did anything else. Then, if you still aren't satisfied, I would go the airbag route. I have bags on mine with an onboard Viair system that enables me to change the pressures in the bags as the road conditions change. Also, may want to check the pressures in your tires to make sure the side walls aren't flexing too much.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:26 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I would replace those original OEM shocks, all 4, regardless of anything else that may be needed. The OEM shocks are really of poor quality anyway, prone to early failure, but they are 19 YEARS OLD!

New shocks will help with ride quality both loaded and unloaded driving. I went with Bilsteins when my stock OEM shocks let go at 48K miles. The new shocks made a big improvement on ride quality.

On your loaded bouncing and "rebouncing" issues. I doubt ANY shock is going to help that. Maybe a little bit on the "rebounce", but it won't cure it. That is really a spring loading issue, not a shock/ride quality issue. I personally have, and prefer the air bag solution to the spring load issue. Some prefer other fixes, bump stops, wedges, etc. That "can" be ok. I would avoid any solution that puts another contact point or stress point on your spring arch. As Denny alluded to, those springs are meant to only support the axle load in one point, where the axle bolts to the spring pack, and have a pressure point at each end, at the spring bushing eyelet ends. So the "load" on the springs is constant, over the entire distance of the spring arch. Putting another pressure point in another spot along that spring arch makes a single point of force on that spring pack, that over time will cause metal fatigue and eventually break that spring. I would avoid doing that like the plague.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Cabindweller
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
9000XLs made a difference for me but adding SumoSprings really took the bounce out for me. They’re not expensive, require no maintenance or adjustments and they do not effect the unloaded ride quality at all. I would recommend them to anyone towing a fifth wheel and looking to eliminate bounce.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:35 PM
VR4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cabindweller
9000XLs made a difference for me but adding SumoSprings really took the bounce out for me. They’re not expensive, require no maintenance or adjustments and they do not effect the unloaded ride quality at all. I would recommend them to anyone towing a fifth wheel and looking to eliminate bounce.
Which color SumoSprings are you running? This looks like a pretty good starting point for me. First 5er, had a TT for a long time but this will be a new experience. We should be in pretty good shape with an F350 and our smaller, 11k GVW 5er... but a smooth ride is always good!

Old 01-30-2019, 09:43 AM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
From what I've seen the price difference between air bags with compressor and Sumo Springs is close to the same but with air bags you can adjust the ride height and have the ability to add air for different road conditions or remove all but 5psi when unloaded for normal stock ride.
I've been running airbags on my trucks both on work trucks and my RV pulling trucks and I have never had a leaks after thousands and thousands of miles.

Denny

Old 01-30-2019, 08:42 PM
firedaniel
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd bilstein shocks first then probably add sumo springs or Timbren. Thats what I use on my F350 pulls great now. I had the same bounce as you. I also recently put a reese airborne hitch on the 5th wheel. It helps take the bounce out of the trailer and really makes for a nice pull. Good luck

Thanks
Daniel

Old 02-07-2019, 06:45 PM
Cabindweller
Senior User
Originally Posted by VR4
Which color SumoSprings are you running? This looks like a pretty good starting point for me. First 5er, had a TT for a long time but this will be a new experience. We should be in pretty good shape with an F350 and our smaller, 11k GVW 5er... but a smooth ride is always good!

The yellow ones.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Cabindweller
Senior User
For me, the price, simple installation and form factor, and zero maintenance requirement sold me on the Sumos over airbags. It was close between them and Timbrens, I did a lot of research. I’m very pleased with my choice. I would absolutely make the same choice if doing it again!

Old 02-09-2019, 07:29 PM
BleedMichigan
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My old fifth wheel had a bounce feeling. Changed to 7 leaf leaf spring airbags and new shocks and the new heavier 5th wheel has no bounce

Old 02-11-2019, 08:05 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
If it sits level and bouncing is the only issue a good set of shocks will take care of it. Bilsteins are what I used to cure the same problem on my F250,

Old 07-24-2021, 07:20 AM
Big Mak
Tuned
Received 179 Likes on 78 Posts
Old thread I started a couple years ago on my old 5th wheel (sold) and retired F350 2000 7.3L.

An update:
I've done nothing to my new 2021 F350 DRW 6.7L CC LB but I DID add Sumo Springs to the Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R.
Just finished its first 400 miles yesterday and the Sumos made a big difference in the side to side joustering on uneven pavement.
Another bonus is that when semi trucks pass me (I do 65 mph on the freeway) I no longer get that "Suck you in, push you out" air effect. I long suspected it was the Solitude doing this on a recent trip to CO without Sumo Springs on the trailer. Now I have confirmed it was indeed!

Worth the suspension upgrade on the 5th wheel. The Solitude came with Moryde CRE3000 shackles. Installing the sumos was a 30 min job for 4 of them (One above the centerline of the CRE 3000)

These are not a replacement in lieu of shock absorbers, that may be next, but they certainly assist in the side to side movement of the 5th wheel.

Quick Reply: Reducing "bounce" towing 5th wheel