6.0 Owners - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Owners

Old 01-21-2019, 05:58 PM
JRT812
Senior User
JRT812 is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.0 Owners

I am currently looking a 05 6.0 with a 174,xxx miles on it. The truck seems nice and has paperwork to show it has been bulletproofed..... outside of that, nothing for maintenance records. I’m a ford guy but cant afford a 6.7 for my landscaping company needs at the moment. I’ve read the bulletproof 6.0 is the way to go over the 6.4, but I’m a little hesitant after reading this forum for a moment. Any regrets from the 6.0 owners? I’m also currently looking at a 5.9 cummins around the same price and the same year. I dont like the RAM truck other than the 6 speed and cummins. Just trying to use my money wisely. I look at the 6.0 forum and it seems like their is a ton of issues but I see them on the road constantly.

Any insight from th 6.0 forums. Is it a good investment if someone cant afford a 6.7 or would you take a cummins with slightly higher mileage, same year, and around the same price?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:15 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
There is no quality assurance that something is "bulletproofed". There are no standards or checklist that is run through to reach that level or grade. A guy can slap on studs and call it bulletproofed, never addressing the head surfaces, deck surfaces, or any other attribute. The studs can even be installed wrong. ERG delete kits leak all the time. It is a term that is incorrectly used. While my Ford remanufactured motor is strung all over my garage I can show you paperwork that it was a remanufactured Ford Motor Company motor and guide you to the company video that details the quality put into it. Well, that a bad joke. But you'll be impressed by the price tag of it.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:46 PM
JRT812
Senior User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
There is no quality assurance that something is "bulletproofed". There are no standards or checklist that is run through to reach that level or grade. A guy can slap on studs and call it bulletproofed, never addressing the head surfaces, deck surfaces, or any other attribute. The studs can even be installed wrong. ERG delete kits leak all the time. It is a term that is incorrectly used. While my Ford remanufactured motor is strung all over my garage I can show you paperwork that it was a remanufactured Ford Motor Company motor and guide you to the company video that details the quality put into it. Well, that a bad joke. But you'll be impressed by the price tag of it.

Thank you for the insight.... I never considered the bulletproof term being thrown around. I also didnít realize EGR delete kits often leaked

Old 01-21-2019, 08:12 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
diesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud of
So this may come as a bit of a surprise what I'm going to recommend... But even though MY 2005 5.9s had limitations (like it was hard to get an exhaust brake on one), If it is a clean and rust-free truck, the fact that it has the manual 6 speed, and more importantly might actually have the Mercedes G56 six speed (see below)... I'd go for it -- the 5.9 is a medium duty diesel engine in a light duty truck and if it in fact has the G56, well, that happens to be a medium duty transmission (and is Very Nice). Something I would consider owning myself and I love the crap out of my 6.0... You'll get better mileage, trust me, with the Cummins....

Here's how to tell which trans that truck your looking at has:

Scott

Old 01-21-2019, 08:28 PM
JRT812
Senior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan View Post
So this may come as a bit of a surprise what I'm going to recommend... But even though MY 2005 5.9s had limitations (like it was hard to get an exhaust brake on one), If it is a clean and rust-free truck, the fact that it has the manual 6 speed, and more importantly might actually have the Mercedes G56 six speed (see below)... I'd go for it -- the 5.9 is a medium duty diesel engine in a light duty truck and if it in fact has the G56, well, that happens to be a medium duty transmission (and is Very Nice). Something I would consider owning myself and I love the crap out of my 6.0... You'll get better mileage, trust me, with the Cummins....

Here's how to tell which trans that truck your looking at has:

Scott
Thank you! I guess that confirmed what my gut was saying. I really donít want a dodge but for the money I can spend, it seems to make better sense. I will use your pics when I look at the Cummins in person.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:41 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
diesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud of
As you described your needs, this is a WORK truck. So don't be surprised when the radio or HVAC don't work or quit working on the Dodge. And make damn sure it isn't hiding rust, even a little. Rust will eat a Ram 4x faster than a Ford, and then all you have is a great motor and trans and some other parts, like the AAM rear axle is pretty stout...

Just a forewarning...

Good luck, with whatever you pick, but DO NOT tell the seller if you find he has the G56 in it!!! Negotiate the price like it is a piece of crap, and they'd be lucky if you took it off their hands... (well that is negotiating 101 on anything...) And if it is a G56, switch it to real gear oil (I think 75W 90) ASAP, they don't like the Auto trans fluid Dodge factory filled them with, and Mercedes specs the heavier fluid...

Scott

Old 01-21-2019, 09:00 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Have to agree with Scott in your case.
Yes the Ram is b fing ugly compared to the other choices and will rust if it sees a granule of salt, but if you want something that runs from point A to point B day in and day out, not caring about some of the other stuff, get the Dodge.
You are def wise running full tilt the other direction from a 6.4

If you knew the history of the 6.0 it might be a different story, but the 5.9 of that era will run all day long on mud for oil and not talk back.
I love the 6.0 as many others, but sometimes it just don't make sense in some cases unless there is some dealer history or documentation there.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:51 PM
JRT812
Senior User
Originally Posted by navistarnut View Post
Have to agree with Scott in your case.
Yes the Ram is b fing ugly compared to the other choices and will rust if it sees a granule of salt, but if you want something that runs from point A to point B day in and day out, not caring about some of the other stuff, get the Dodge.
You are def wise running full tilt the other direction from a 6.4

If you knew the history of the 6.0 it might be a different story, but the 5.9 of that era will run all day long on mud for oil and not talk back.
I love the 6.0 as many others, but sometimes it just don't make sense in some cases unless there is some dealer history or documentation there.

thanks man!

Old 01-21-2019, 11:01 PM
JRT812
Senior User
Called the Cummins owner this evening and unfortunately he sold it this past weekend. I knew I should have looked at it... just didnít like that it was a dodge/ram. It was actually a nice looking 3500 and with good service records

i might go look at the 6.0 again. Who knows... May keep my eye out for another 5.9. Have to figure out something soon though. The thing with the the dodge trucks they usually look clapped out. The owners are sure proud of the Cummins engine when you see the asking price.

Thanks again for all the insight from everybody!

Old 01-22-2019, 05:26 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
One thing to keep in mind maintenance. And if you are not the driver you can bet on any manufacture that someone is just going to beat on it.
So if you have a clown on the crew then you can bet on things happening with what ever you get.

Diesel will need more maintenance so if your not into doing that get some thing gas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.