Tansmission Fluid - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tansmission Fluid

Old 01-17-2019, 02:55 PM
Sarge261
Postmaster
Sarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant future
Tansmission Fluid

Hey Folks,

I had a customer stiff me on a Mag-Tech transmission pan, its beyond the returnable time frame without a restock and shipping fees. So seeing as I already paid for it I may as well put it on my own truck. My question is there a better full synthetic fluid that I could add while the pan is down? The new pan uses the OEM filter so Ill replace that as well. I may wait a little longer to do this as the truck only has 3000 miles on it. Ill also be interested to see if it actually makes any difference in temperatures. I had it on my 06 and it was a nice piece but I never could figure out if it helped or not.

Sarge

Old 01-17-2019, 03:27 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not likely to make much difference in temps due to the thermostat. That is unless you are towing very heavy in warmer climates.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 PM
Louisville Joe
Elder User
Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would not use anything but the Ford recommended fluid. There are many types of Mercon and they are not all interchangeable. A lot of these 'universal' fluids, although they are synthetic, do not meet Ford specifications.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe View Post
I would not use anything but the Ford recommended fluid. There are many types of Mercon and they are not all interchangeable. A lot of these 'universal' fluids, although they are synthetic, do not meet Ford specifications.

There is only one product compatible and that's Mercon LV and it's a full Synthetic fluid.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:49 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
dnewton3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dnewton3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Maxlife syn ATF is a good choice: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1
It has a very robust additive package and is well formulated.
It is not licensed for most applications. But then again, neither are RP, RL, Amsoil and a slew of other premium lube choices.
The upside to Maxlife ATF is that it's easily found at nearly any Walmart, and often for less $ than Mercon LV.
I have seen UOAs on both the Maxlife and the LV; you cannot tell them apart in real world use.
Although Ford could perhaps deny or delay a warranty claim, Valvoline will back the use of Maxlife ATF anywhere LV is called for, with full force of their written warranty. (honestly I doubt the ford denial would happen, as it's essentially impossible to tell LV from Maxlife in chemical analysis anyway. But should it happen, Valvoline would back you 100%).
I use it anywhere LV is called for, and many other applications as seen on it's PI sheet.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:08 AM
BillyE
Elder User
BillyE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If your transmission blows up, my guess is Ford will have a bigger issue with that pan than the fluid. They won’t know what fluid you use unless you tell them. That pan will be staring them in the face. Not saying they’ll deny it, but they might. Then it’s on you to fight.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by dnewton3 View Post
Maxlife syn ATF is a good choice: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1
It has a very robust additive package and is well formulated.
It is not licensed for most applications. But then again, neither are RP, RL, Amsoil and a slew of other premium lube choices.
The upside to Maxlife ATF is that it's easily found at nearly any Walmart, and often for less $ than Mercon LV.
I have seen UOAs on both the Maxlife and the LV; you cannot tell them apart in real world use.
Although Ford could perhaps deny or delay a warranty claim, Valvoline will back the use of Maxlife ATF anywhere LV is called for, with full force of their written warranty. (honestly I doubt the ford denial would happen, as it's essentially impossible to tell LV from Maxlife in chemical analysis anyway. But should it happen, Valvoline would back you 100%).
I use it anywhere LV is called for, and many other applications as seen on it's PI sheet.
That's quite possible while your truck sits for 6 months waiting for the legal outcome.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:08 AM
Sarge261
Postmaster
Sarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant future
Wow,

Thanks Ill stick to the recommended MC-LV fluid. I highly doubt that if I had an issue that my claim would be denied due to an oil pan, but Id be willing to fight with them over that.

Thanks,

Sarge

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.