Turbo updated drain... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Turbo updated drain...

Old 01-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Rod Jr.
Senior User
Rod Jr. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbo updated drain...

I am having problem re-installing turbo, it seems the Ford updated oil drain pipe is larger in diameter and is hitting the turbo pedestal where the bend is. Have tried several times with no success. Also the new tube is aluminum and the ears are steel, The new ears are very short and keep slipping off the pedestal. Any one else run into this problem ?

Old 01-13-2019, 05:31 PM
tfunk88
Elder User
tfunk88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It sounds like you donít have it insterted all the way into the oil pump cover.

I had no issues with the updated drain tube, but that doesnít mean yours may not have them. Is it the updated tube from Ford or aftermarket?

Old 01-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Rod Jr.
Senior User
I carefully marked how far to insert based on original part, turns out the Ford drain tube hits the pedestal cover preventing over insertion into oil pump cover.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:14 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Mine hits too but fits fine and no leaks in a year

Old 01-13-2019, 06:21 PM
Rod Jr.
Senior User
My new tube is preventing turbo from lining up on the set pins. Rather than modify the tube I think maybe just notching the pedestal to allow more movement towards firewall.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:58 PM
tfunk88
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rod Jr. View Post
My new tube is preventing turbo from lining up on the set pins. Rather than modify the tube I think maybe just notching the pedestal to allow more movement towards firewall.
Any chance you can post a pic? Something isnít right, should not be an issue if itís a Ford drain tube

Old 01-13-2019, 07:05 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Is this an authentic Motorcraft part? The updated tube is not aluminum. Did you have a pic of the installed tube? The u shape strap welded to the tube rests on top of the pedestal.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Rod Jr.
Senior User

Old 01-13-2019, 07:35 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
The end you have marked, that end goes into the cover and the other end into the bottom of the turbo. Not questioning you but just making sure we're on the same page here. It will find it's own depth once the turbo is installed so I usually just install it as far in as it will go with the U shaped tab setting on top of the pedestal. Then roll the turbo in on top of the tube then it all usually falls into place. What can mess up the install is the down pipe so I always jack up the down pipe from under the truck so the down pipe is up against the fire wall out of the way.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 PM
tfunk88
Elder User
That doesnít look like the one I got. The one I got was squared off where the welds were, not rounded.

Mine looked exactly like this one
https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Im...-p/6000008.htm

Did you get that from a Ford dealer? Not saying Ford didnít update the part since I got mine a couple years ago, but there are a lot of fake parts being sold as OEM, even in Ford style packaging

Old 01-13-2019, 07:40 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 87crewdually View Post
Is this an authentic Motorcraft part? The updated tube is not aluminum. Did you have a pic of the installed tube? The u shape strap welded to the tube rests on top of the pedestal.
I agree with this guy. Unless Ford approved a change, the updated Ford tube is steel.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Rod Jr.
Senior User
We are on same page, the tabs on new drain are very short. I need to go towards firewall only about 1/4 inch to align the perch, it seems like the drain pipe is not allowing turbo to line up with tabs.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 PM
Rod Jr.
Senior User
It does have some steel content but not as much as the tabs welded on, I tested with rare earth magnet.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:50 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
IMO I'd clean the old one and re-install it before I went cutting up a pedestal.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Rod Jr.
Senior User

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.