Excursion Conversion-Sheetmetal and Axel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

Excursion Conversion-Sheetmetal and Axel

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excursion Conversion-Sheetmetal and Axel

Old 01-10-2019, 04:43 PM
Jonathon Marcelino
New User
Jonathon Marcelino is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool Excursion Conversion-Sheetmetal and Axel

17 months ago bought a 1 owner 2004 Eddie Bauer 6.0 with 102K miles. ($21,000.00) Shipped it to Houston and the guys at Power Stroke Enginuities. Nothing was wrong, ran good and was in 9/10 condition.
They removed the engine and installed a near complete full BulletProof kit minus the FICM and injectors, flushed and cleaned everything and fixed a few other items. ($9,000.00)

3 months later at 85 miles an hour the passenger tire blew out and I wound up in a wall. No frame damage. I was able to turn out of the collision and flipped the *** end into the wall. The front suspension sheared 2 pins off the frame and the passenger side, bumper to bumper, was a hot mess. Towed it home, tarped it and waited. Insurance paid out close to $18K.

Called several (3 or 4) suspention shops in the SFV. My first question was " What do you know about axel geometry and retrotting" Not one could really answer and 1 asked me to repeat the question several times. Got nowhere.

Found Andy at Meyhem Metal Works in Simi Valley. Stopped by the shop and decided this was the right place. They build rock climbers from scratch. The frame, 4-link and the rest. They also do a ton of other mods to streetable trucks.

So here is the plan-

Axel-2005 Coil Over with 80K + mile-Complete rebuild (Gears look like new). Timkin unit bearings, SSBC V6 calipers, rotors, rubbers and bearings. Clean and Paint
McNasty bracket kit for a 11-16 Super Duty Frontend
OEM Sheetmetal and Grill

Bumpers-
I want the Texas oilfield style platform bumper in the front- with a winch. Plan on sitting on the bumper while turkey hunting.....
Rear will have 2 swing arms and a triple reciver for a 5th wheel dolly

Paint-
TBD-leaning to flat olive

Wheels and Tires-
TBD untill offset is determined

Mechanical-
BulletProof FICM
OEM injectors

Decisions I need to make by Friday-
2.5" lift - Icon or Bilstein
Hood
Headlights
Mirrors

Thank for reading and Ill upload pics of the process and the real cost of the parts.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:27 PM
unleashd
Posting Guru
unleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the FTE. Sad to hear about the accident. But glad to see you writing about it and taking steps to restore it to its full glory!!

Old 01-11-2019, 08:37 AM
Downsized2X
Diesel User
Downsized2X is starting off with a positive reputation.
More before pictures needed

Looking forward to seeing this rebuild! I can see that the back side window is gone, what else is damaged?

Old 01-11-2019, 10:16 AM
EXSwap
Senior User
EXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to all
Welcome! Sounds like you've got a plan going for sure! I'll be super interested in the 3 receiver system for the 5th wheel dolly....those are super cool and I've thought about trying to build one but they can be fairly complex. If it's just a tow dolly, probably not super complicated, but if you want to be able to back the 5th wheel easily there's got to be some sort of passive steering involved. There's a company that makes/sells them, but they cost a pretty penny!! Good luck!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Jonathon Marcelino
New User
Cool Reply to Comments

Thank you all for the welcome, I always like to read and save the more detailed threads for refereance. I hope this assists someone also.

Outter and inner structure was bent up at the passenger front tire but nothing that was not getting cut out for the new clip. Rear door and side glass as you can see.

I am waiting to discover if I need to replace more than the exterior skin on the rear panel.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Jonathon Marcelino
New User
Tracking the parts and budget. Price and availability is what decided who/where I got the parts. Shipping cost and tax played a big part in the price.

Here is where I am at as of today on the parts and cost. For the unit bearings I had to order from different vendors as the less expensive supplier had only 1. I needed to get them both to the shop next week.

Also building up "reward points" with a vendor may cost on one part but save more on another.

Legend
EB=Ebay
AA=AutoAnything
ROOCK=ROCKAUTO
PARTS=PARTS.COM
R1C=R1 CONCEPTS
ALL=ALLIGATOR PERFORMANCE·· Hood hingesETA Xo BC3Z-16796-A (Passengers Side)1/16/2019EB $ 31.80Xo BC3Z-16797-A (Drivers Side)1/16/2019EB $ 31.82X· Hood Striker (7C3Z-16K689-A1/16/2019EB $ 18.50X· Fenders (Left and Right)1/17/2019EB $ 396.66X08-10 hood latch assembly1/15/2019EB $ 33.23X· (2) 99-07 SuperDuty hood strut lower ball bolt1/15/2019EB $ 10.80X· Lower Grill Reinforcement (Ford Part Number#BC3Z1/14/2019EB $ 170.14X· Upper Grill Reinforcement (Ford Part Number#BC3Z1/16/2019EB $ 111.14X· factory wiper cowl kit 1/16/2019EB $ 124.90XXUnit Baring1/15/2019AA/ROCK $ 467.32XWiper ARM AND PIVOT SHAFT1/17/2019PARTS $ 68.89X· Grill and Bracket (Support)1/21/2019EB $ 334.82XRotors1/4/2019R1C $ 185.59XCalipers-V6 SSBC A-193-22/10/2019ALL $ 941.00 $ 2,926.61NOT ORDERED· Headlights (May also need newer headlight plugs depending on year· Hood· Front Bumper and Bracket (installation not shown)

Really struggling with the hood and lights, Not sure what look and if i want a ram air vs custom snorkel.

I am picking up all the axel parts today for prep and paint over the weekend. Ill take pics of the old axel and sheetmetal removed.

Last edited by Jonathon Marcelino; 01-11-2019 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Jonathon Marcelino
New User
Better look at parts list

The formating is making it a tuff read, see attached for a better list

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Front Clip parts.pdf (57.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 AM
Jonathon Marcelino
New User

McNasty notching per instructions and videos

Passenger side look at undamaged frame.

Starting the wiper motor.

Used 2005 F-250 axel cleaned.

This gets removed and replaced with a modified updated assembly and OEM motor.

Unable to load this into my '14 Benz wagon I took all the other axel parts and am painting them this weekend.

Not wanting to order parts if the frame was damaged, we now have to wait for everything to be delivered. NOTE-Not every online vendor will allow you to ship to an address that is different from your credit card billing address.

Very little inner structure damage, no frame damage and no mechanical damage. Axel, sheetmetal and glass...

Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Jonathon Marcelino
New User
Picked up several axel parts to prep and paint.
the trailing arms were easy.
The steering knuckles already had the new bearings installed and made the grinding, with my tools impossible.
Decided to replace the rotor dust covers as they were beat up.

Make shift spray booth.

2 primer coats with 3 Roll bar and chassis paint from Auto zone.

Harbor Freight welding wire was less expensive than anything else.

Really worked, there was no wind so no issues

Old 01-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Jonathon Marcelino
New User
Dropped off painted parts yesterday, all remain ordered parts due in this and next week

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.