Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaks

Old 01-10-2019, 07:48 AM
L-ight
Senior User
L-ight is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oil leaks

I have noticed I have some small leaks. First place is the oil drain plug. I have done 4 oil changes and not once changed the drain plug and gasket. This is probably my biggest leak out of the two. The drain plug has oil puddled on it. Common sense probably says the gasket is worn. I just changed my oil about 800-1000 miles ago. Is it ok to drain and reuse the oil or would that be a no no?

Second leak is on the passenger side. I can see oil puddling on one of the oil pan bolts that is near the front passenger side of the pan. It's only one bolt though. I have heard of these coming loose over time. Guess what I should do is go ahead and check if they are loose. If they are all snug tight what are my other options to look at?

Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge
Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
I had a leak at my drain plug from the very beginning. I got one of those cheap blue oil plug gaskets from the cheap parts store, 400,000 miles ago. Same gasket! Best $.50 I ever spent!

Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Don't be so sure that the leaks are where you are seeing the oil down there...engine top leaks are common and the oil drains down the back of the engine through a drain hole, from there it can end up anywhere. So...start up top and work your way down. And to answer one of your questions, I would use a clean, clean, clean bucket and reuse that oil.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold

Here’s a picture of the drain hole...passenger side of engine...

Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 AM
L-ight
Senior User
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford View Post
I had a leak at my drain plug from the very beginning. I got one of those cheap blue oil plug gaskets from the cheap parts store, 400,000 miles ago. Same gasket! Best $.50 I ever spent!
Yea I was just going to purchase a whole new plug + gasket. They are cheap. Good to know.
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
Don't be so sure that the leaks are where you are seeing the oil down there...engine top leaks are common and the oil drains down the back of the engine through a drain hole, from there it can end up anywhere. So...start up top and work your way down. And to answer one of your questions, I would use a clean, clean, clean bucket and reuse that oil.
Well I know the drain plug is def one cause cause that is the only puddling and the pan around it has no trace of oil around it. I do have a oil pan that I used once, but can't recall what oil I used in it before. It is a 20 qrt pan. Not one I can open up and clean though. It has the center drain plus purge cap.

Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post

Here’s a picture of the drain hole...passenger side of engine...
Well looks like that is the second culprit. Seems to be leaking out of there. No to find out where it is coming from. I am hoping it is something simple like the IPR sensor. Thanks. Also can you explain why there is actually a drain hole there? Is it really for oil?

Old 01-10-2019, 11:49 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Do you have a picture of where the second leak is coming from?

If it is dripping towards the rear of the block (where the transmission mates to it) then you should be looking in your valley to see if there's any oil up there. There are three "pockets" in the valley (foward, middle, rear) that can help you (us) narrow down the leak.

If it is dripping towards the front (sway bar area) then you could be looking at the oil dipstick tube adapter or maybe the front cover.

There's lots of places so I'm just spitballin'. I've got the t-shirt for most of these leaks.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:03 PM
L-ight
Senior User
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
Do you have a picture of where the second leak is coming from?

If it is dripping towards the rear of the block (where the transmission mates to it) then you should be looking in your valley to see if there's any oil up there. There are three "pockets" in the valley (foward, middle, rear) that can help you (us) narrow down the leak.

If it is dripping towards the front (sway bar area) then you could be looking at the oil dipstick tube adapter or maybe the front cover.

There's lots of places so I'm just spitballin'. I've got the t-shirt for most of these leaks.
I will have to take a picture and upload it later this evening. I swore when I looked under there the other day I saw (what looked like) the oil dipstick tube on the driver side. Though upon inspecting the engine bay the dipstick is on the passenger side. Any idea of what I saw on the driver side that goes into the pan?

Old 01-10-2019, 12:37 PM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
I have heard of putting a shop vac on the oil spout on top of the engine to pull the drain plug and keep the oil in. I have not tried it myself.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:42 PM
L-ight
Senior User
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG View Post
I have heard of putting a shop vac on the oil spout on top of the engine to pull the drain plug and keep the oil in. I have not tried it myself.
I am sure it is possible, but I do not have a shop vac. I may just wait it out and keep cardboard under the truck so it doesn't stain my driveway until it is time to change oil again. If only it was easy to flip the truck upside down lol.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:15 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by L-ight View Post
Any idea of what I saw on the driver side that goes into the pan?
I'd have to see a picture. The only penetrations in the oil pan that I know of are the dipstick flange (passenger's side), drain hole (bottom), and the mounting holes.

I don't know of anything in the pan on the driver's side, OEM at least. The oil cooler and filter/heater are over there and take up most of the room.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:00 PM
L-ight
Senior User
Here are the pictures.....So it looks like it's dripping from the drain hole and it's puddling on the starter too.

Also on this last picture what is that little cut in the black metal cover on the transmission side?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
So it looks like it's dripping from the drain hole and it's puddling on the starter too.
If it's coming down from the drain hole on top there are lots of possibilities.

There are three "pockets" in the valley: forward, middle, and rear. Whatever the forward-most pocket that has fresh oil in it is probably where your culprit is (the engine is tipped slightly down going from front to rear...probably why they put the drain hole in the back ). It's not a complete list but some things to look at:

Forward - High Pressure Oil system (pump, lines, fittings), Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR), and Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensor.
Middle - oil fittings/plugs
Rear - Turbo, pedestal, Exhaust Backpressure Valve

As for the wet starter area the only things I can think of are the dipstick tube flange into the oil pan and the oil pan gasket.

Your truck looks pretty clean (at least by my standards). My underside is coated with oil/grime and I've had the "drop that doesn't fall" for years.

Also on this last picture what is that little cut in the black metal cover on the transmission side?
I'm not sure what that cut is on the cover.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 AM
L-ight
Senior User
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
If it's coming down from the drain hole on top there are lots of possibilities.

There are three "pockets" in the valley: forward, middle, and rear. Whatever the forward-most pocket that has fresh oil in it is probably where your culprit is (the engine is tipped slightly down going from front to rear...probably why they put the drain hole in the back ). It's not a complete list but some things to look at:

Forward - High Pressure Oil system (pump, lines, fittings), Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR), and Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensor.
Middle - oil fittings/plugs
Rear - Turbo, pedestal, Exhaust Backpressure Valve

As for the wet starter area the only things I can think of are the dipstick tube flange into the oil pan and the oil pan gasket.

Your truck looks pretty clean (at least by my standards). My underside is coated with oil/grime and I've had the "drop that doesn't fall" for years.

I'm not sure what that cut is on the cover.
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to have the diagram of where these parts are? I recall seeing it on here with every labeled on an actual picture of the engine bay. My dipstick is dry. No oil in site. I really hope I don't have a oil pan gasket leak . The truck has only has 98k miles on still. Wasn't a tow machine either. Was my dad's that drove it to and from work (15 mile round trip) with the occasional long trips to family, etc. Picked up the truck from him at 69k miles 2 years ago.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
I’d clean everything up, take it for short drives, grab a flashlight inspect, repeat until you determine where it’s leaking.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:34 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
MoBill122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do what Brian said.... 99% of oil drips like that are from the valley. Climb up there and see how much oil is in the valley.... its suppose to be dry.

A little leak can turn into a BIG gusher.... better not let it just leak until you feel like doing something...

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.