2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Optima Battery Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 04:17 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer
Yeah, the batteries are covered by the 3 Yr / 36K mile warranty...
Does this mean that if mine test bad, I'd get a free replacement pair at 2 years old or a prorated price?

Old 01-09-2019, 04:25 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
The original batteries are covered only under the 3/36k. Replacement service batteries are covered under the Motorcraft warranty. The Motorcraft Tested Tough Max battery carries a 100-month pro-rated warranty and free replacement for 36 months, while Motorcraft Tested Tough Plus batteries have an 84-month pro-rated warranty and free replacement for up to 18 months

Old 01-09-2019, 04:25 PM
PlanoRob
Mountain Pass
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I’ve had great luck with DuraLast Platinum and even had an Optima Red top last more than 8yrs in one truck.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Mack3006
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Interstate makes the best batteries. I’m lucky enough to have one 2 blocks from my house. Both my ATV’s, generator, mower, wife’s suv, go cart all have those in them.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:28 PM
saskowner
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrockerstl55
Honestly I don't think they have made any change. There is a known issue with Super Duties where the battery is being squeezed by how tight the factory secured the battery (especially the drivers side) in its base. It has been known to be tightened so much that the battery cases have cracked causing battery leaks.

This could be the reason the OP is having trouble so early on especially with one leaking. My opinion is the dealership should, at a min, replace the leaking battery.
That's a good point, I will try loosening the mounts off and re-tightening them with a little more care on my truck. I couldn't agree more that the dealer should step up and help out with replacements. No battery should look that bad after only 2 years.
Gary

Old 01-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
How long does it take for it to look like that??

Old 01-09-2019, 04:34 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrockerstl55
I think there are only about 4 battery manufacturers for US sold batteries. All the quality batteries, IMO, from Odyssey, Northstar, Interstate, Duralast, etc and all going to be about the same in quality, construction, etc. Many quality batteries are rebrands of the same battery. Costco/Kirkland batteries along with Varta and Optima are made by Johnson Controls.

If you want to stay with Optima I would go with Red Top...800 CCA. That gets you closer to OEM at 850. Odyssey is at 950 CCA. Duralast Gold is 850 CCA.

Personally I would not go with a AGM. Typically CCA's are lower on those and they also typically have lower reserve minutes.

Old school lead acid batteries are fantastic...my suggestion would be to look for a quality battery with the best warranty and/or the best service network.

Personally I have always had luck with AutoZone...batteries are quality and there are stores almost everywhere that will back their warranty.

Another suggestion would be to get something like a Ctek MSX 5.0 (I have the old MUS 4.3 and it works great) and hook your batteries up to that a couple times a year and do a recondition. You won't believe how much longer they will last.
Well your logic goes against everything that has been developed for automotive batteries in the last 25 years. Reason AGM's became mainstream is because the desert and harsh performance environment of what our military has been dealing with the last 35 years caused this technology to be used in their equipment. The decline curve on a AGM is much more linear than a regular LA and performance is superior in every way. Do your due diligence on the performance not just because you are cheap and uninformed with factual data.

This is more detail than a lot of people will want and less than others will. I am military aerospace so detail is my life anyway this is at a low enough level with good summaries to highlight the absolute performance advantages of AGM. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._glass_mat_agm https://www.canbat.ca/agm-battery-guide/

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-09-2019, 04:39 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
I just replaced a Wally World EverStart MAXX that was 9 years old. It was still working but I knew its time was coming. Best price and easy to deal with for warranty/exchanges. Wally typically doesn't argue.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Davparks2
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like I am leaning towards either

Odyssey 65-PC1750T 950CC for 299.00 Not Sure on Warranty

Or Interstate MTP-65HD 850CCA for 170.00 2.5yrs Free Replacement 6yrs Pro Rated

I really like what I have read about odyssey batteries and I can pick them up from my local 4 wheel parts but I am just having trouble justifying the nearly double cost.

I am also worried that my Cold Air Intake from AFE might not fit anymore its very closes to not fitting with the stock battery.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:12 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No way I can do $422 per battery for the Odesey group 31. To the OP, those battery terminals and batteries should have been cleaned up sooner and deionized water added. I had mine looking like that this spring and the dealer winced and moaned and finally cleaned everything up, put on corrosion protection and replaced the battery clamps and hold down bolts both sides. One of this issues is the ports on top of the batteries are not raised above the level of the top of the battery like the older motorcraft batteries and so as soon as dirt and corrosion get in there acid you loose a battery cell. I have tried new motorcraft, interstate, Costco and they all only last a finite amount of time.... In my 2005 original batteries lasted 7 years. 6.0 Diesel.

I am looking for AGM when the 2017 needs batteries too, just would be nice not having all this wet acid and corrosion everywhere on two batteries every time I hit a pothole. But they are pricey. I am also hoping I can fit Group 31 in there as well. I have 577 amps of Alternator and a lot of power equipment on these trucks.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:26 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
Well your logic goes against everything that has been developed for automotive batteries in the last 25 years. Reason AGM's became mainstream is because the desert and harsh performance environment of what our military has been dealing with the last 35 years caused this technology to be used in their equipment. The decline curve on a AGM is much more linear than a regular LA and performance is superior in every way. Do your due diligence on the performance not just because you are cheap and uninformed with factual data.

This is more detail than a lot of people will want and less than others will. I am military aerospace so detail is my life anyway this is at a low enough level with good summaries to highlight the absolute performance advantages of AGM. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._glass_mat_agm https://www.canbat.ca/agm-battery-guide/
Not a cool post on your part but if I take a minute maybe it will help you understand what I was saying.

For harsh military conditions, Baja races, etc yes I might definitely go AGM. They are much better suited for that environment.

Typically when high quality flooded lead acid batteries are compared to AGM’s of the same size the AGM will have lower CCA and reserve minutes and the old school flooded batteries will be cheaper. That’s really all I was saying.

What are a couple AGM batteries you would recommend for a Super Duty with a PSD?

Thank you.

PS...Thank you for your service to the country Sir.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:46 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I can by a flooded battery for 140 Cdn. The best price I can find in AGM of same group is $299 Cdn. It has a 5 year 100% replacement vs basically the 3 year on the 140$ ones. I can buy Costco, Interstate, Motorcraft for half the price of AGM. I can go to a group 65 odesey for 400 plus American. Honestly don’t know what I will do next set. By the way after cleaning up and protecting my batteries at 32,000 km, my batteries were load tested at 40,000 km and both passed. Truck was built in September 2016, I purchased in December 2016,and the latest testing was November 2018.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:07 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,631 Likes on 2,731 Posts
Odyssey used to have a 5 year warranty. I know because I had one warrantied toward the end of the 5 year period. However, I don't think the warranty is 5 years now.

I own a few Odyssey batteries. Great for not having to worry about acid spills or corrosion on the terminals. They die slowly which can really save your bacon if you're paying attention.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:12 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 384 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Odyssey used to have a 5 year warranty. I know because I had one warrantied toward the end of the 5 year period. However, I don't think the warranty is 5 years now.

I own a few Odyssey batteries. Great for not having to worry about acid spills or corrosion on the terminals. They die slowly which can really save your bacon if you're paying attention.
Last Odyssey I bought had a 48 month replacement warranty IIRC. I haven't found AGMs to have a longer life than LA batteries, but they certainly give much fewer headaches- which to me makes them well worth the price. The older I get, the much more valuable my time becomes.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:13 AM
ZAR2USA
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Davparks2
Truck is a hair over 2 Years old. I asked the dealer they said that they could not do anything for because i'm over my 3yr/36K warranty i'm at 40K miles already. The reason I am replacing is because one is leaking pretty badly and I could tell over the last few days before I took it to dealer for other issues I could hear the batteries struggling every so slightly when starting up. I was planning on just cleaning the corrosion any holding out for another year but the service manager said I should probably replace them because they where too weak to start the truck after only sitting for a couple of days at the dealer. I did put a meter on both batteries before I took it in and they both read 12.5 volts. Normally I would probably ride it out a little longer especially since I carry a jump box with me anyway but I have a baby due in the next month so I don't want to risk truck not starting when its time to go. Odyssey looks awesome but they are pricey.

I had same issue with my positive battery post, green crystals growing around it. After clean up found that the post rotated inside the battery and where the issue started. Ford replaced both batteries under warranty same day even though second battery showed no signs of damage.

Quick Reply: Optima Battery Worth It