Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 F-53 Code p0041

Old 01-07-2019, 07:15 PM
PirateGhost
Freshman User
PirateGhost is starting off with a positive reputation.
2006 F-53 Code p0041

I have a pending code, P0041, downstream heated exhaust oxygen sensors swapped from bank to bank.

Went to ford parts and looked at diagram (was just going to buy new sensors for preventive measure) and it clearly shows only 1 downstream sensor in top of cat.

Called Ford parts and they said they show two downstream.

Crawled all around today and found solid plug in top of cat. No wiring harness anywhere near the area.

My maintenance book makes not mention of downstream sensors.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on?

Old 01-08-2019, 08:31 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Clear it, and see if it comes back. And try another scanner.

I would have thought that a 2006 F53 was OBD-II compliant, but it's possible if the GVWR is high enough that it's not. What is the GVWR on the door sticker?

Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 AM
PirateGhost
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
Clear it, and see if it comes back. And try another scanner.

I would have thought that a 2006 F53 was OBD-II compliant, but it's possible if the GVWR is high enough that it's not. What is the GVWR on the door sticker?
I have the two upstream 02 sensors. GVWR 22K

Old 01-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
From what I can tell, anything over 14K GVWR is not required to be OBD-II compliant. This MIGHT mean your truck never had the downstream O2 sensor.

Why the PCM is complaining about it is weird. Is this something that just happened out of the blue? Or did you just buy this vehicle and you noticed the pending code?

The PCM might have been replaced.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:07 AM
PirateGhost
Freshman User
Nothing has changed. As far as I know, this pending code has been there for years. I went through all pending codes just for kicks and thought I would investigate. Running up to 85K miles and wanted to do a bit of preventive maintenance. One fellow said I should go get it reflashed at dealer.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:30 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Ignore it

My '01 F250 V10 used to have a P1000 code pending. All the time. If I went to look at the monitors' completed status, it would have something like "downstream O2 heater incomplete" and "Catalyst monitor incomplete" (not exactly those words, but close enough).

Old 01-08-2019, 12:16 PM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on?
Use your scan tool to see if the computer is running an OBD1 or an OBDII calibration.

As already mentioned, odds are that it's an OBD1 calibration so the downstream sensor isn't suppose to exist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.