Same coil keeps going bad - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Same coil keeps going bad

Old 01-12-2019, 06:59 PM
jimbomitch
Senior User
jimbomitch is starting off with a positive reputation.
When weird things like this occur it could be related to a poor ground.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:21 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like a short in the wiring from #2 coil to ground.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the coils are always "hot" and the PCM switches the ground on the coil primary circuit to fire them. So if the primary is always closed circuit, the secondary or high voltage side would be "on" too long and burn out.
Or you are not assembling the spring inside the coil boot correctly when installing each coil which would cause unnecessarily high resistance and heat up the secondary. Or possibly even missing the spark plug with the end of the boot when installing the coil would do the same thing. That would make a much wider arc than the .054" spark plug gap spec.

Do you have pictures of the bad coils?
Are they all burning at the same place? At the connector or somewhere else?
If the burn locations are consistent that would be a good clue to help troubleshoot the cause.

Are you using dielectric grease on the coil boot? I have seen some people on here describe the exact wrong way to use that. It only takes a very little bit on the inside of the end of the coil boot to help it slide on when installing and slide off next time when removing.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 PM
Kelly Patrick
New User
Kelly Patrick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ran a new yell/white wire from ECM to #2 coil and all is well so far.
Thanks everybody!

Old 01-15-2019, 05:10 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Kelly Patrick View Post
Thanks everybody!
Man I sure hope that's the cure---I know this has been an aggravation for you.

If it doesn't recur in the same short interval as before you might have solved this rare problem. Please update us as I know this would be helpful to know for the future.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:57 AM
Kelly Patrick
New User
Kelly Patrick is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's been running great for a couple of days now.
Thanks again for helping me figure it out!

It appears that my problem was a bad wire (yellow & white) from the ECM to coil #2.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:08 AM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
My suspicion is that, if you took the harness apart, you'd probably find the original wire has chafed insulation and was intermittently shorting to ground somewhere along its path. Sam was on track in post #17 with that idea. Such an intermittent short to ground would cause the coil to be conducting for far longer intervals than it was intended to and it subsequently overheated internally and failed.

I would note that a failure inside the PCM could do the same thing but it's a lot harder to get in there to repair.

Good job!

Old 01-16-2019, 10:20 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Kelly Patrick View Post
Thanks everybody!
Good job sticking with it and finding the issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.