Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

one expensive idi

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:42 PM
keithbutts
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
one expensive idi

Is this the most expensive idi you've seen?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Ford-F...3:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Old 12-28-2018, 10:47 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it were a crew cab or 4x4 i could see it, but a single cab 2wd... dually or no, i think thats about 10k too high

Old 12-28-2018, 11:17 PM
keithbutts
Mountain Pass
But you do have to say that is one clean 85 f350 dually, and for being Florida.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:17 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,118 Likes on 2,174 Posts
wow!! sad thing is, i bet he will find someone stupid enough to pay 3 times more than that thing cost new.
then have to drop another 5-6 grand into it to make it roadworthy.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:18 AM
keithbutts
Mountain Pass
how is it not roadworthy? the tires are not in bad shape or anything.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:35 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
24K miles in 34 years? every single piece of rubber needs to be replaced. hoses, belts, spring bushings, tires, water pump, vacuum pump, engine seals, probably ALL fluids and filters to name a few things.
sure you can just go out and drive it, but my bet is within 1,000 miles things will start leaking and breaking.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:02 PM
keithbutts
Mountain Pass
The fuel filter has been changed and I’m sure if they changed the fuel filter they changed the oil too (it is at a dealership at all) the tires are not in that bad of shape, i’m sure the water pump, bushings, engine seals, and vacuum pump are going to be fine it’s not like it’s a gas motor with gas sitting in it.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:29 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
seals deteriorate over time. the less the engine is run, the faster they deteriorate. same with the suspension bushings. the longer it sits, the faster they deteriorate once you start driving it.
seen it way too many times over the years. and the people that brought the "almost new, no mile" vehicle to me then got pissed when i quoted them thousands of dollars to fix it. i tried to explain, but they just refused to listen because in their mind i was "trying to rip them off"
after a while i just refused to have anything to do with people and their "like new, no mile" vehicles.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:57 PM
skuzzybucket
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm with Tom. I have a 90 f 250 here that was my father in law's. I got it in 2000, had 2,500 miles on it. I have done nothing but spend money on that truck
At 43,ooo miles now, it has had the entire front end done twice, brakes all the way around 3 times, fuel tanks replaced, and wiring problems to pull out your hair.
Tires dry rot before the tread even thinks about getting 1/4 worn, and the paint fell off of the truck
The E4oD has been replaced twice

I could go on. Then there's the 02 f 350 diesel with 32,000 miles on it we pull the travel trailer. Yeah, it likes to spend money from sitting too.

Another thing about the truck in the ebay add. That speedometer goes back to 00000000 when its at 100,000. so IS IT REALLY a low miles truck?
I vote no, look at the numbers in the odometer, they are dropped down at the top. Usually when they roll over 100,000, the numbers crooked in the slots.

Also good to note, there are no pictures of the pedals where you would see wear, or the floor mat where your feet sit,

The truck may be a low mile survivor, but I have my doubts, and would pass.
That ia about $10,000 more than I would spend on a 4x2 with a single cab

Old 12-29-2018, 06:21 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll point out my own experiences with "sitting" trucks - My '92 was pulled out of a back yard where it had been parked for several years due to clutch issues.
I got the thing started right there with some ether, found that the slave cylinder was leaking badly. Got enough brake fluid in it to drive it onto my trailer.
After I fixed the clutch and drove it, a few things failed relatively quickly:
1. Vacuum pump. No lubrication inside it and it siezed within 1k miles. That took out at least one idler pulley
2. Water pump failed within a year/10K - might have just been original.
3. Alternator failed - regulator ended up shorting
4. Various front-end ball joints/tie rod ends.
5. U-joints, carrier bearing.
6. Return lines.

Over all, not a whole lot, but it hadn't been sitting *that* long either.

I'm totally used to replacing tie rod ends and ball joints - they seem to fail on a sitting rig
U-joints and carrier have failed on every single rig I've 'recovered' within a year, most right off the bat.

I just plain expect that any (cheap) vehicle I get is going to need "routine maintaince" work soon after I get it. That's just to be expected.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:52 PM
keithbutts
Mountain Pass
My dad bought a 67 f250 with 4wd, 4 speed and a factory cab chassis from his grandpa who bought it new in 67, when my dad bought it it had 38k miles and all he replaced was the windshield and the fan belt with one out of the truck that was in there for spares. And it now has 40k on it and the tire were put on in the 90’s. Now the thing can’t go fast enough that if the tire blows you won’t hit anything.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
$12k is around top of the market for 80-97 trucks. A solid rust free body with good paint is owrth a large chunk of that, but that's a regular cab dually... The least desirable. If it were a Supercab or Crew Cab 4x4 SRW I could see $12k. Good thing is since everything in the front end needs to be replaced anyhow you can just roll a D60 under it along with new spring and shackle bushings for about a grand. Still needs a transfer case, driveshafts, ZF5 or Ranger... Not to mention the mundane things like the rest of the bushings, shocks, brakes. Probably a few hundred into the engine to get it sealed up. It would be $15k when all said and done, but that's a lot of labor to put into a regular cab dually that might bring $10k when done.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:13 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by skuzzybucket

Another thing about the truck in the ebay add. That speedometer goes back to 00000000 when its at 100,000. so IS IT REALLY a low miles truck?
I vote no, look at the numbers in the odometer, they are dropped down at the top. Usually when they roll over 100,000, the numbers crooked in the slots.

Also good to note, there are no pictures of the pedals where you would see wear, or the floor mat where your feet sit,
Yes there are pictures of the pedals.

Still, that NA IDI non-4x is way overpriced. But judging by the pedals, that's a < 100K truck.

I'd give the guy $7200 for that truck. Cuz that's what it's worth. And when he complains, I'll tell him to find more money from the nonexistent other buyers looking for a slow-*** dually with no turbo from the 80's.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:03 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
anyone else notice the "B" pillar info tag is not the original?
and there is an awful lot of rust around the tag area on the "B" pillar for such a "clean" truck.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:18 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few things that stand out, the seller is a dealer.. Of so many repainted shiny classic cars - that I would have to look closely to guage the veracity of the low mileage mint - conditionness.

Not that it's a bad thing, but it's seen fresh paint and a gallon of amorall - though it does look to be in great shape despite the shine, but hard to say.. Interior is good and that adds a lot of value.

Wiper motor is tan, and pass side battery is black, suggests that it was repainted without taping off, but maybe the painter did well on the exterior and just had other things to do that day.

Overall, looks very nice.. Though it's 2wd, got the 4sp and diesel.. So normally I'd class this top of 2x4 price range of 10k, but mint intirior gets 2+ - - IF the buyer doesn't care for 4x4..

I think he's going to have it awhile, but ultimately get his 12k asking price, just speculation.

Low miles, out of service - if true, aren't so big a deal in every case.

Bonnie, my truck sat 10 years before I brought her back to life, and hauled 4k+ of stone 75 miles today _ passing toyotas.

tires, hoses and belts, drain and fill every fluid, return kit, new clutch... .

My case short term failures (few years) , lift pump, starter, thermostat, rear brake hardware, radiator started to leak.

Not so much really though..

Yes any sitting old truck is gonna need a sharp eye and 500-1,500 $ in parts, but in my trucks case anyway, sitting hasn't meant unreliable.. She went from 10 years out to pasture to daily driver strong now 8 years straight and runs like a top. we go the distance - often.

Always starts and idles to 'normal temp' before being driven.

I don't hot rod it, and keep rpms down below 2,500.. Even if people (they do) hate me.

I see many of our trucks listed 6-10k in Tennessee now a days, and almost all super beaters still fetch 2,500-3k.. And they sell I suppose.

Maybe local demand for diesel ford's here.

Though, people ask often if I will sell her, I wouldn't sell my truck for 10 grand, couldn't replace it for that.

Temptation if offered 15, can do alot with that kind of money, but really, I still probably wouldn't sell.

Though, maybe 10 - 15 years from now, the older trucks will become true classics.

I think these trucks will only appreciate in value, already seen the values pretty much triple since buying mine, and I think this trend will accelerate as people yearn for a simple reliable affordable alternative to what modern diesel trucks have become, and the pickings get slim.

- Supply + Demand * Condition = Value

Often hear said - of now valuable late 60's cars/'those were just beaters to us.'

I would buy a sitting or low mileage idi again, because I do my own mechanic work.

Bonnie just turned 34

Quick Reply: one expensive idi