Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scan tool recommendations

Old 12-24-2018, 02:25 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
I would be wary of any tool that misspelled "setup" and "system" on the tool image.
Depending on what you want to do with it, I would try Forscan for free and Torque Pro for $5. Connect Forscan to a Windows computer and Torque to an Android device with a USB to OBD2 cable or a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:20 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Timely topic as I'm in the midst of moving to something a bit more dealer-level diagnostic tool than my current Actron CP9580. That tool has been spectacular for my use but I've flirted with buying the AutoEnginuty kit and will be implementing the FORScan software in the near future.

The Actron version can be had for less than $200 new, the "outdated" model CP9690 (kit) and CP9695 (scanner only) Of course FORScan and Torque are free or cheap enough to use as a first time venture into owning some sort of diagnostic scanning tool.

I'm with Sam I Am though----buying something from an obvious "off shore" seller could be 100 times more frustrating that P0171 Lean Bank 1! If you read through the questions already asked by others you'll see this might not be the best entry-level scanning tool to consider.

Best of luck in the hunt!

Old 12-24-2018, 11:50 AM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
I was literally about to post the same question.
Im going with the Blue something recommended by chrisFix.
Iíll let you all know what I think after using it a few times.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:03 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My SCT X4 tuner is my current scan tool!

Old 12-25-2018, 07:45 AM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by maticuno View Post
My SCT X4 tuner is my current scan tool!
i have one too. But itís programmed for one vehicle but I have multiple.

Will it work like that? : can I plug it into any of my vehicles to check codes / misfires?

Old 12-25-2018, 07:46 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post

i have one too. But itís programmed for one vehicle but I have multiple.

Will it work like that? : can I plug it into any of my vehicles to check codes / misfires?
I haven't tried it yet, but I think it will work with multiple vehicles, it just can't flash the ECU on more than one.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:02 AM
super 6.8
Elder User
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
I've used my Truck's 5 Star tuner to check / reset codes on many vehicles. It's a decent scanner.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:30 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
This is indeed worthy of consideration---at under $200 it's not a bad first introduction into tools of this nature. Found this YouTube video review for the brand and this model:
---impressive for the money to be sure!

Thanks BeechKid for the advice!

Old 12-27-2018, 11:20 AM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Old 12-28-2018, 05:49 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by maticuno View Post
I have the C-Reader 8001 model from that brand. It works quite well and is what I used to finally diagnose a bad PCM on my F-250 before I had purchased the tuner.
Also a nice scanner---I'm sure the oil system and brake resetting function would be very helpful.

While we're on this topic anyone here using FORScan? I'm about to begin using that, bought what's supposed to be the ultimate ELM327 interface along with a Dell Lattitude laptop newly loaded with Win10.

Just interested if its as great as I've read so far.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:48 PM
eddienelson
Senior User
eddienelson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Out of the 2 which on is the most user friendly?

Old 01-06-2019, 11:42 PM
Beechkid
Beechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud of
IMHO, the bluedriver but only for the reason that if you don't have access (including online which is available through a variety of sources including Helms for as little as $10 for 1 vehicle) to the oem service manual...the description says it will also reference "Free vehicle-specific Repair Reports drawn from a database of over 6.6 million fixes verified by certified auto mechanics"...… otherwise I would go with the other unit.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:47 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Ford under 15.00 I would use the Torque Pro app and a ELM327, for 70.00 get a bluetooth adapter and uses forscan which is almost identical to ford IDS. All the readers above are way over priced.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.