Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Scan tool recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:04 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Ford under 15.00 I would use the Torque Pro app and a ELM327, for 70.00 get a bluetooth adapter and uses forscan which is almost identical to ford IDS. All the readers above are way over priced.
I think Torque doesn’t work with iPhones. Correct me if I’m wrong.
But I know I had Torque and some kind of Bluetooth hardware device and it was fine when I had a spare Android device to use. WHEN I had a spare...

Old 01-07-2019, 11:47 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Believe it or not, something like this:
Amazon Amazon

And Forscan.

Using one of these el-cheapo ELM327 adapters, I was able to use Forscan to program one of the body control modules in my 2016 Taurus and turn off the double-honk when getting out of the car and leaving the engine running. That, and enable the cop-car AWD display.

If it can do that, it can do almost anything.

I have also used my ELM327 adapter with Torque app on Android.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:26 PM
eddienelson
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
This sh_t is killing me! The more I read the more confused I get. So far blue driver seems to be the way to go. Im using an iPhone so it won't be an issue. I was leaning towards just a plug and play but the damn reviews are so confusing. I love it. I hate it. It works great. It didn't work sent it back. Blah blah blah. A buddy said he loves Nexlink for the price but the reviews suck. The Blue Driver seems to be the best for the money that I can tell. Please feel free to correct me if im wrong... Its ok if you do. My wife does all the time....

Old 01-08-2019, 02:47 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
...thinking what I could spend $100 on...

Torque is an Android app, so it will not work on an iphone.
I have not seen anything for an iphone that works as well as Torque.
I have a friend that is an iphone only user and he is also a gadget freak. He has spent an obscene amount of money on adapters to try and find something as good as Torque Pro. He never did. He never found anything near as customizable as Torque, in that you can set your gauges dials and readouts how you like them with Torque.
And I use Forscan for programming keys and other stuff that Torque cannot do.
You can get an OBD2 to USB adapter with the CAN speed switch that will work with an Android phone and a Windows computer.

Not sure why you are worrying about wasting money when you can try Forscan almost free by buying a universal adapter, per my earlier post. In my opinion, you will waste your money on a dedicated adapter that can only run one app. None of those apps will ever do what Forscan can for FREE. But I know how you iphone users love to throw money around. The problem is that you are trying to work around using an iphone when the best apps and programs use Android and Windows. Any iphone certified adapter is already a waste of money starting out because they have to be certified to work with ios. And the manufacturers have to pay for that "privilege" then they pass that cost to you the end consumer. So in the conception stage any ios compatible device is already overpriced and handicapped by second rate apps. I told my friend that but he didn't believe me until he spent the money to find out for himself. Lead a horse to water, etc.
You could have already saved yourself some time and money and already received an OBD2 to USB or Bluetooth adapter like I told you 2 weeks ago and others have echoed here, or you can waste a Franklin on something that I am pretty sure you are going to be disappointed with. Blue Driver is for people who watch & believe infomercials. It may be all some people need, but no way is it $94.95 better than Torque Pro.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:19 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Blue Driver is for people who watch & believe infomercials. It may be all some people need, but no way is it $94.95 better than Torque Pro.
No need to insult people man.
I have the BlueDriver and it has more info and features than I know what to do with.
Your favorite is limited to Android.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:01 PM
eddienelson
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Went with this unit. A buddy has a shop and said for the money this unit does almost as much as his $2k dollar unit. He also said it was pretty user friendly. Thanks for the help. I should have it Monday.

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-20-2019, 06:35 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by eddienelson
Went with this unit. A buddy has a shop and said for the money this unit does almost as much as his $2k dollar unit. He also said it was pretty user friendly. Thanks for the help. I should have it Monday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JHLPJDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&ps c=1
Looking forward to your impressions and experience with that scanner. Its an Autel which makes decent quality automotive service and testing devices---that price is pretty insane in a good way.

BTW Eddie I completely feel your pain with choosing something like this, a tool or device that's new to us. When it comes to online reviews though I tend to look only at the negative types as I believe those show a tool's weaknesses--glowing positives don't usually go into detail why or how something was so great. I'm looking for issues that might be fixable from the manufacturer, how easily or willing they are rectifying something amiss on their end.