North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Winter 2018 BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 04:04 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just spent all afternoon building new headlight, park light and turn signal harnesses for my dads 97 Mercedes Benz. The wiring on those cars is absolutely ridiculous, all the wiring was cracked and the copper wire was exposed and shorting out on everything. I honestly have never seen such crappy wire used in a vehicle.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
i spent all day fighting with the fan clutch nut... unfortunately at the end of the it was Fanclutch nut 2... 1 broken loaner tool... and me 0...

Old 01-05-2019, 08:06 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sparky83
i spent all day fighting with the fan clutch nut... unfortunately at the end of the it was Fanclutch nut 2... 1 broken loaner tool... and me 0...
fan clutch nut on your PSD?? If so I did the same thing, it’s reversed threads and the best way to get it lose is one good whack with a long chisel and a hammer or like I did with a air chisel. Do this and it’ll spin right off. Trust me, I broke autozones loaner wrench doing the same thing....

Old 01-05-2019, 08:14 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
yup... 6.0's its CCW to get the nut off... but the stupid thing wouldnt budge.... bent one of my pry bars too... ntm oblonged a couple of the round holes in the waterpump pulley... i was using a 5 lb sledge on my brand new 1-7/8" wrench... thing still wont budge...

Old 01-05-2019, 08:17 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
yup... 6.0's its CCW to get the nut off... but the stupid thing wouldnt budge.... bent one of my pry bars too... ntm oblonged a couple of the round holes in the waterpump pulley... i was using a 5 lb sledge on my brand new 1-7/8" wrench... thing still wont budge...
honestly, if you can get an air chisel on one of the shoulders of the nut you’ll kick yourself at how easy it is. My uncle told me to do it that way after I fought with it all day. He’s a caterpillar tech so I tried it, after that I felt like a real dumba$$.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:26 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
i ordered Leslies air hammer fan clutch tools... unfortunately wont ship till monday... but hopefully be here by wed if the times the same as it was in VB... same distance anyways... looked like someone previously used a air chisel on the one side of the nut... might try tomorrow.. but gonna work on an oil change on something else... least that i should succeed at...

Old 01-05-2019, 08:31 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
i ordered Leslies air hammer fan clutch tools... unfortunately wont ship till monday... but hopefully be here by wed if the times the same as it was in VB... same distance anyways... looked like someone previously used a air chisel on the one side of the nut... might try tomorrow.. but gonna work on an oil change on something else... least that i should succeed at...
it’s definitely the way to go. I don’t know a whole lot about the 6.0L but it’s not that much different than the 7.3L and I’ve been in one of those from the bare block to a running engine several times. Anytime you need help feel free to ask me, if I don’t know the answer I’ll find it and we’ll both learn something..

Old 01-05-2019, 08:41 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
how about bringing me tools lol... i thought about doing the 7.3 fan clutch swap but decided not to... tbh when i first bought my truck i never touched a diesel except for 1 when i working at a dealership in HS that came in for an oil change... other than that never worked on one... this was my first time owning and working on one.. since buying it - its given me looooooooooots of experience... did an in cab head gasket job when temps were floating between 90-108*.. that was "fun"

Old 01-05-2019, 08:50 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
how about bringing me tools lol... i thought about doing the 7.3 fan clutch swap but decided not to... tbh when i first bought my truck i never touched a diesel except for 1 when i working at a dealership in HS that came in for an oil change... other than that never worked on one... this was my first time owning and working on one.. since buying it - its given me looooooooooots of experience... did an in cab head gasket job when temps were floating between 90-108*.. that was "fun"
dangit man. Yeah that would suck. Did you stud the heads while they were off? About the tools, I’m a truck driver by trade. Tools are a necessity that’s for sure.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
yup... also had the head milled flat.. said they had to take off 7 thousandths to true them up... replaced the 2 lower oil pan seals, rebuilt the turbo (which got an upgrade in the compressor wheel) Racor CCV 6000 filter... coolant filter down on the frame (right now running a JD filter.. lol every vehicle ive owned i somehow seem to get tractor parts onto it lol).. custom built Power steering filter... EGR delete, Driven diesel regulated return (got tired of fords crappy fuel pressure springs).. got rid of the factor oil cooler and did a BPD remote one... i still need to upgrade the + alt to battery connections but i upgraded the grounds...

Old 01-05-2019, 09:01 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
yup... also had the head milled flat.. said they had to take off 7 thousandths to true them up... replaced the 2 lower oil pan seals, rebuilt the turbo (which got an upgrade in the compressor wheel) Racor CCV 6000 filter... coolant filter down on the frame (right now running a JD filter.. lol every vehicle ive owned i somehow seem to get tractor parts onto it lol).. custom built Power steering filter... EGR delete, Driven diesel regulated return (got tired of fords crappy fuel pressure springs).. got rid of the factor oil cooler and did a BPD remote one... i still need to upgrade the + alt to battery connections but i upgraded the grounds...
sounds like you’ve about made that 6.0 into a reliable motor. LoL. I do know they are awesome engines once all the gremlins and bugs get exterminated.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:10 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
ohh shes always been reliable... i didnt have the typical HG failure... majority of my issues were always in the drivetrain.. but i did have a failure of the head gasket... just not the way other people do... the coolant port that runs at the back side of the block the HG failed between that port and the outside... and was spraying the coolant onto the up-pipes for the exhaust... took me a month to find it... (ironically the same amount of time it took me to find the water pump leak since i couldnt find any signs till one day i crawled under the truck for something else).. figured while i had it apart id fix/update things... the CCV filter i did well before the HG failure... the coolant filter i did shortly after getting the truck... the PS filter i added when i did the steering gear box... front driveshafts been rebuilt... re-done the front axle U-joints... (need to inspect the rear driveshaft ones).. rear axle was rebuilt about 2 months after i bought the truck (i didnt the dealer did... that was a "fun" bill)... Ring and pinion beat the crap outta each other... list goes on.. lol

Old 01-05-2019, 09:24 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend

My trucks repair folder next to my mustangs factory service manual. Folders biggetthan the manual lol

Old 01-05-2019, 09:25 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
My first F250 PSD was a 2000 model that I ordered brand new, never had any issues out of it until I started “hot rodding” it. I built the crap out of that truck and eventually sold it. Then I had a 05 6.0 that I kept for 1.5 years and got rid of it. The F350 I have now I just bought from an older gentleman back last May. It has been taken very good care of and has never been abused. It only had 83K miles on it when I bought it last year, I swore I wasn’t going to do anything to extreme to it. I have done most of the smaller beneficial mods but nothing crazy. The trans is an updated and enhanced suncoast and was installed at 72k miles so hopefully I won’t have to worry about that weak link. Most of the mods that I have done are to free up the air and fuel flow, I do have a PHP Hydra tuner in the truck but that’s mostly for the towing tunes as I tow a loaded cattle trailer, an occasional small tractor and my 24’ boat.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Damnit man. That’s crazy, at least you’ve got all the paperwork though.

Quick Reply: Winter 2018 BS Thread