6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ford Dealership Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 12:29 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Tim: another thought for you is to take your truck over to CarMax in Reno and have them appraise it. They may say we won't touch it, or (hopefully) they give you a price they'd pay you for the truck. Then you take that with you to a different dealer (I still highly recommend contacting my guy in Roseville). You whittle them down to bare bones on the new truck, then ask them to appraise your current one -- in your pocket is what their honest number should come back near. If not see if they will match it and if they don't and you don't want to hassle selling it yourself, take the old truck to CarMax and walk out with a check...

Good luck my friend,
Scott

Old 12-29-2018, 12:32 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
If they offer more, it is because they are making more on the entire deal in finance, hold back, volume, flooring, or other factory to dealer incentive to make it worth while for them to help you feel better about what you received for your truck.
It's a good deal if the customer thinks it's a good deal.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:30 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I thought we'd lost you there, Tim...

Still on the fence on what to do?

Scott
Yeah, back on the fence. I was all fired up to pull the trigger for a new rig, till that guy kicked me in the stomach. Kinda lost the passion for a while. I'm really not in too big of a hurry, I suppose. I think I really "wanted" a new truck more than I "needed" a new truck. The 05 continues to do everything I need it to do. I figure that I'll just hang on the fence for a bit to see if something pops up that is meant to be... apparently, Jones West Ford wasn't. The way I figure it, if my truck finally does take the final plunge, then I wouldn't be out too much if I have to walk away from it. So trading in now really doesn't do much good at this point. We'll see. Maybe after I get my gumption up I'll check out that dealership you recommended. Thanks for the support buddy.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:10 AM
Bussard
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
went back to a 22duramax from the 19 ford.. better ride, better stability, same power, worse electronics, better mileage with 10 speed over 6, less inside cab room, not as hard to climb into, worse seats..

Old 12-06-2022, 09:42 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 212 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
So, I stopped by a Ford Dealership in Reno Nevada to look at the new Super Duty's. The salesman told me quite a bit about the new generation trucks and I was pretty impressed and getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on A NEW TRUCK ! ! ! Wow, it's hard to imagine that I was really going to do this, but I'd done the math and I think I can do this. The hardest thing, other than that monthly payment, would be to let go of my old 05 Super Duty. She's been such a great tow vehicle, but is now getting a little old to have no concern heading out on the road with trailer in tow and feel completely confident, though she'd been continually amazing me with reliability, especially since bullet proofing... I'm thinking new sounds like what I want and I want it now! WTH, I can do this...

Then the salesman asked, "what do you have for a trade-in". I told him about my 05 F350. He asked what engine. I answered, "6.0". That's when things got dicy. He began talking down my truck saying that they won't give me much for it and it would just be wholesaled out and that they wouldn't even park it on the lot. I told him that I it's been a good truck and that I did in fact "bullet proof" it, but he just kept ******* my truck like it was a POS. I asked him, "Then why the hell did you guys tell me it was such a good truck when I bought it new" and "What makes you think I'd buy another one from you guys when you're now admitting that you guys lied?" After bantering a bit, I figured I'd had enough of this butt hole and said "See ya, I'll just drive this truck till the wheels fall off then buy a friggin' Dodge".

Is this what I should expect from all Ford Dealerships or should I just avoid Jones West Ford in Reno? Maybe it's true, that I won't get much for my truck, but it's more a matter of principle when this butt head didn't even bother to offer to look up and give blue book value, he just began verbally ******* my ride. If this is the kind of treatment I'm going to get from Ford, then I'll look elsewhere for my new ride. Out of personal principle and scruples GMC is completely out of the question, especially after what they did to their folks and families, closing plants and laying off so many of their employees just before Christmas Holidays, SMH. It would be a tough pill to swallow, but if Ford is going to screw loyal customers like this, then, on personal principle, Dodge is the only option to choose to drag my fifth wheel around.

OK, vent over. Thoughts?
lol….it’s called negotiating. Of course he’s gonna say your truck isn’t that good. This way when they hit yiu below the belt with a offer that would insult you they wanna prepare you for the disappointment. Truthfully they’re hoping you like the new truck so much you won’t even care about the “old “ truck. Thats a actual sales tactic. No joke, they get people excited about the new purchase and people lose their minds on making rational decisions. Because it’s all about the new car….That’s why dealers get to sell cars at MSRP and 20k “market adjustment” to morons.

personally I have no idea why you would even trade a vehicle in to a dealer. You’re leaving 20-50% of the value on the table for the dealer to pick up. I bought multiple vehicles and I never trade them in anymore. I walk in and start dealing. Granted I have multiple cars so I dgaf if I walk away with a new truck or go home in my old truck.

if you are gonna trade in STOP TELLING THEM YOU’RE TRADING IN A CAR.
Make the deal on the car you want… nail down the out there door price
now
hey I thought about it I’ll trade my car in. I need $xxxxx to make the deal happen.

then sit back and see what happens.

It’s easy to jump back in your trucks and drive off. You just saved yourself 85,000 bucks. I remember when I bought ,y last new truck i picked up the sales contract and started reading and pulled out the calculator to check numbers. The finance guy actually asked what I was doing. I said checking your numbers against the deal I actually made. So far…..you’re losing.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:32 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Here's how you do this : first, go negotiate a deal on your new car . Get the deal in writing and tell them you'll be back to buy it shortly . Then go sell your trade in at retail to another end user.

but, before you complete the deal, take your buyer back to your dealer and have the dealer pass the paperwork through as a trade in. On your new vehicle. The last time I did this has been a 10 years or more ago but at that time the dealer charged me $75 to take my vehicle as a trade in and then sell it to my buyer at the retail price giving me that credit for the trade in which is deducted from the sales price of the new vehicle so that you don't pay sales tax on that amount.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:18 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Here's how you do this : first, go negotiate a deal on your new car . Get the deal in writing and tell them you'll be back to buy it shortly . Then go sell your trade in at retail to another end user.

but, before you complete the deal, take your buyer back to your dealer and have the dealer pass the paperwork through as a trade in. On your new vehicle. The last time I did this has been a 10 years or more ago but at that time the dealer charged me $75 to take my vehicle as a trade in and then sell it to my buyer at the retail price giving me that credit for the trade in which is deducted from the sales price of the new vehicle so that you don't pay sales tax on that amount.

depends on the state. California has no such deal. If I sell my truck …..The buyer pays tax on the purchase. I pay a separate tax on the purchase of the new truck. The two transactions don’t mix (for tax purposes). Now if I trade in the vehicle the trade in value gets applied after the Out the door price of the new truck. So say for example …..the new truck was 85,000 out the door and my trade was $5000. The amount owed would be $80,000. If I sold the truck as a private party sale the buyer would pay tax on $5000 sale

Old 12-07-2022, 07:42 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
[QUOTE California has no such deal. If I sell my truck ….. [/QUOTE]

Hmm, sooo, if you buy a $100,000 truck and trade-in a truck worth $30,000 for $25,000, you still have to pay tax on $100,000? That's crazy. In TX and most states, you only pay tax on the net amount you spent - $75,000. That's a major reason that people trade their cars in here rather than sell on the street - you might get $30,000 on the street for your old truck, but you pay tax on $25,000 more (about $1,500 here), so you only gain $3,500. A lot of people don't wanna go to the trouble of selling the old car for what's left of the additional money (of course, much smaller numbers in most cases).

But, that's where my deal works, and the dealers here know it and will accommodate, if asked (they don't volunteer this info. Someone else told me the dealer charged them $150 to run the paperwork more recently.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-07-2022, 07:59 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,732 Posts
Another old thread revived - with some interesting information in it!

Old 12-07-2022, 08:29 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
If you really want to save some money, register the car in NH or one of the other states without sales tax. I bought a Jag in '98 for around $75,000 cash in TX on a Friday, flew to NH that evening (their tax office was open on Saturday? - I forget exactly. Made it back Monday morning with my license plates, took all that to my bank and got the car loan done (most of my $75k back). Saved sales tax of $4500. Plus, NH has those cool Live Free or Die license plates that everyone loved down here.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:08 AM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
[QUOTE California has no such deal. If I sell my truck …..
Hmm, sooo, if you buy a $100,000 truck and trade-in a truck worth $30,000 for $25,000, you still have to pay tax on $100,000? That's crazy. In TX and most states, you only pay tax on the net amount you spent - $75,000. That's a major reason that people trade their cars in here rather than sell on the street - you might get $30,000 on the street for your old truck, but you pay tax on $25,000 more (about $1,500 here), so you only gain $3,500. A lot of people don't wanna go to the trouble of selling the old car for what's left of the additional money (of course, much smaller numbers in most cases).

But, that's where my deal works, and the dealers here know it and will accommodate, if asked (they don't volunteer this info. Someone else told me the dealer charged them $150 to run the paperwork more recently.[/QUOTE]

Think about what you just said bro….So you “only gain $3500” … I mean take $3500 out of your pocket and drop it on a dealer table and walk away. Because that’s basically what you’re doing . .

Well….I would sell myself and put $3500 in my pocket all day long over trading it in. Why would you leave money on the table? Just because I gotta pay taxes…so what.

For California yeah there is no discount on the taxable amount like previously described. I guess the plus is you aren’t paying taxes on the sale as the seller it gets paid by the buyer. Makes no difference. Except leaving money on the table when you trade in.

now….You would pay taxes IF the car sold for
more than you have invested say 10,000 total
invested in the car (purchase repairs etc) and sold it for 14,000 you would pay tax on 4000 as that is profit/gains. But that’s more of a dealer thing not private party sale. But I’m now getting technical.
Well basically…On a private party sale seller doesn’t usually pay the tax

Old 12-07-2022, 03:13 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
I looked it up and the first source I found agrees with you - in CA, you get no discount for the trade-in on the sales tax you pay. Geezus, y'all get hosed in CA. It's crazy. No wonder people moving away from there. That's on top of the outrageous state income tax. And, that source I read said CA's vehicle sales tax is the highest in the nation (7.75%).

So, more reasonable numbers: say you buy a $60,000 vehicle, and trade in a vehicle for $20,000. In CA, you got a tax bill of $4650. In TX, your taxes are $2400. Money down the drain.

I don't buy new cars anymore, but if I did, I'd use that NH tax dodge and not pay a dime or worry about trade-ins. Just sell retail and max my money.. Montana, Oregon, and Delaware also don't have sales tax.

Can't think there's any state that makes a seller pay the sales tax on a car they sold. If there is, move.

If you're one of those people who trade in every 2-3 years, you really get hosed, your trade in would be worth a lot more, which in Tx reduces your sales tax a lot more. you prolly only paying sales tax on 40-50% of the new car's price.

Here's an article listing the handful of states that don't offer sales tax credit. Montana shouldn't be on that list since they don't have sales tax.

https://www.realcartips.com/selling/...x-credit.shtml

Old 12-07-2022, 03:22 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
It's worse than that: sales tax is based on the county you live in - 7.75% isn't that high in CA. We pay 7.25%, there are places in the 9s. So how about some positives: RE tax is 1.1% of last purchase price or reduced value if the housing market takes a dive, they don't tax retirement income, then there's the weather...

Our real estate taxes were unbelievable when we lived in Texas, but about every other thing was cheaper...

Old 12-07-2022, 04:14 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
I always here that we have high property taxes, but they don't seem that high - especially since the homes are a lot cheaper. Here's an article comparing tax rates - Tx = 1.8% CA 0.76%

Here's a recent article claiming that the average price per square foot of a home in CA is $437. https://expatrist.com/how-much-does-...in-california/

In Texas, it's $150. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...onal%20average.

3k/sf home in TX costs $450k with taxes of about $8100. 3k/sq home in CA costs .$1,311,000 with property tax of $9,964. And no, we don't tax retirement income, or any other income, and we have pretty nice weather (81d here today).

Old 12-07-2022, 04:23 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
I looked it up and the first source I found agrees with you - in CA, you get no discount for the trade-in on the sales tax you pay. Geezus, y'all get hosed in CA. It's crazy. No wonder people moving away from there. That's on top of the outrageous state income tax. And, that source I read said CA's vehicle sales tax is the highest in the nation (7.75%).

So, more reasonable numbers: say you buy a $60,000 vehicle, and trade in a vehicle for $20,000. In CA, you got a tax bill of $4650. In TX, your taxes are $2400. Money down the drain.

I don't buy new cars anymore, but if I did, I'd use that NH tax dodge and not pay a dime or worry about trade-ins. Just sell retail and max my money.. Montana, Oregon, and Delaware also don't have sales tax.

Can't think there's any state that makes a seller pay the sales tax on a car they sold. If there is, move.

If you're one of those people who trade in every 2-3 years, you really get hosed, your trade in would be worth a lot more, which in Tx reduces your sales tax a lot more. you prolly only paying sales tax on 40-50% of the new car's price.

Here's an article listing the handful of states that don't offer sales tax credit. Montana shouldn't be on that list since they don't have sales tax.

https://www.realcartips.com/selling/...x-credit.shtml
After 40 some years of living in Ca were actually looking at moving in the next few years. My wife is retired and I’m about there.

Quick Reply: Ford Dealership Frustration