6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ford Dealership Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:42 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford Dealership Frustration

So, I stopped by a Ford Dealership in Reno Nevada to look at the new Super Duty's. The salesman told me quite a bit about the new generation trucks and I was pretty impressed and getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on A NEW TRUCK ! ! ! Wow, it's hard to imagine that I was really going to do this, but I'd done the math and I think I can do this. The hardest thing, other than that monthly payment, would be to let go of my old 05 Super Duty. She's been such a great tow vehicle, but is now getting a little old to have no concern heading out on the road with trailer in tow and feel completely confident, though she'd been continually amazing me with reliability, especially since bullet proofing... I'm thinking new sounds like what I want and I want it now! WTH, I can do this...

Then the salesman asked, "what do you have for a trade-in". I told him about my 05 F350. He asked what engine. I answered, "6.0". That's when things got dicy. He began talking down my truck saying that they won't give me much for it and it would just be wholesaled out and that they wouldn't even park it on the lot. I told him that I it's been a good truck and that I did in fact "bullet proof" it, but he just kept ******* my truck like it was a POS. I asked him, "Then why the hell did you guys tell me it was such a good truck when I bought it new" and "What makes you think I'd buy another one from you guys when you're now admitting that you guys lied?" After bantering a bit, I figured I'd had enough of this butt hole and said "See ya, I'll just drive this truck till the wheels fall off then buy a friggin' Dodge".

Is this what I should expect from all Ford Dealerships or should I just avoid Jones West Ford in Reno? Maybe it's true, that I won't get much for my truck, but it's more a matter of principle when this butt head didn't even bother to offer to look up and give blue book value, he just began verbally ******* my ride. If this is the kind of treatment I'm going to get from Ford, then I'll look elsewhere for my new ride. Out of personal principle and scruples GMC is completely out of the question, especially after what they did to their folks and families, closing plants and laying off so many of their employees just before Christmas Holidays, SMH. It would be a tough pill to swallow, but if Ford is going to screw loyal customers like this, then, on personal principle, Dodge is the only option to choose to drag my fifth wheel around.

OK, vent over. Thoughts?

Old 12-18-2018, 12:47 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Buy it from another dealer.
You can get warranty done at any dealership, not?

Old 12-18-2018, 01:35 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
but if Ford is going to screw loyal customers like this,
OK, vent over. Thoughts?

I don't see any connection here to Ford? I don't like Jones west and would much rather go to Carson. However Ford as a company has no stake in your used truck. The deal you make is a deal made with a franchised Ford dealer. I would shop other dealers and get trade in value from carmax. No dealerships near me will take a vehicle that is over 10 years old because they know financing is near impossible. If you really want new and a good price Corning Ford in Ca or Kendall Ford in ID both have been excellent.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:03 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
No Dodges. I hate commie cars.

But, I've gotten the same BS from people about my vehicles. I give them the story of how the critical problems were in the 03s and 04s, and that the later models were better, but by then the engine had a bad rep, so they moved on. Their eyes glaze over - they believe what they believe.

That said, all vehicles do lose a lot of value after they're 10 years old because banks won't lend on them any more. You either pay cash or go to a tote-the-note used car lot, and not too many people have a lot of cash or, if they do, would rather save it and make payments. I've found that anything over $10k is hard to get from people in cash.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:25 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
I don't see any connection here to Ford? I don't like Jones west and would much rather go to Carson. However Ford as a company has no stake in your used truck. The deal you make is a deal made with a franchised Ford dealer. I would shop other dealers and get trade in value from carmax. No dealerships near me will take a vehicle that is over 10 years old because they know financing is near impossible. If you really want new and a good price Corning Ford in Ca or Kendall Ford in ID both have been excellent.
The connection here is he's a Ford customer.
So am I, but if my local dealer treated me like that, which they would not., I would say "see ya later, there are other dealers out there"

Even if the dealer does not want the truck, there is a certain tact that can be used with a potential customer.
Simply explaining that they don't want his trade that bad in a tactful way might be all that is needed for a sale.

Our dealer here in town almost always has one or two 6.0's for sale. No, they don't keep the junk, but a good 6.0 is still worth some good money.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:07 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
We're talking about car salesman here. If you can fog a mirror, you can be a car salesman.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:39 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
It's simply a game he's playing to get the lowest value on your trade in so he can mark it up and sell it for a profit. I wouldn't take it personally because that's his job.

With that said, you may want to sell it privately. I get it that it's more of a PITA selling it on CL, but you'll have to do some work to get top $$$, especially since you bulletproofed it. That salesman probably didn't even know what that means anyway.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:03 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, maybe I'll drive my truck over to another dealership and see if I can receive a better reception from salespeople. Then, if I get the same routine, I might go ahead and try and sell private party, though I really hate doing that... If I do get the same treatment at another Ford Dealership, I'd probably still go over to the dark side (dodge), but not out of preference, more out of spite, just because I'm pissed off and it's a matter of principle, even though it almost feels like I'd be shooting my foot because I hate the shoes I bought. I'm not looking to get rich on my truck, I know the reputation on these things. I just want to be treated with respect and clearly spell out the actual value of the truck in relation to the down payment and let's do the math and make a deal. You know, like adjusting for blue book value? I didn't go to that dealership to have someone start talking crap about my personal property and I think it was in terribly bad form, that is if they want my business. I don't think it's too much to ask, to keep to the simple math and make a deal. The insults hurt and I took it personally. I love that truck... Thanks for letting me rant and thanks for the tips. Oh, and Navstarnut, I'll check out Corning and Kendal as well. Thanks for that.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Sometimes I just like to take the contrarian position, nothing personal.

As a trade in, "Bulletproofed" means nothing. It's not going to mean anything at the auction. In reality, it only means something to the guy who paid for it, especially when the truck breaks.

Bulletproofed is not like a UL seal on a toaster. Its a combination of parts and labor of unknown quality to the person who is giving up assets for the item secondhand. Some dealers get gun shy when they have a history of newly acquired 10+ year-old trade-ins puke on their way up the transporter's loading ramp. Maybe if you give them a 60-day warranty.

Reminds me, I need to fix the toaster.......

Old 12-18-2018, 06:42 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with Jack. There is really no standard that defines the term “bullet proofed”

Old 12-18-2018, 08:39 PM
Modoc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
If you are going to checkout Corning , you might try their satellite dealership at Susanville if it is closer. Having dealt with several dealerships, it seems to depend on the salesman more than the dealership for a quality experience.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:40 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A buddy bought a Dodge last year, 2500HD. We used it to tow 4k on a double to Idaho from Virginia, got 8mpg average and it never seemed to really want to stay in high gear, always shifting down when you touched the pedal.

He t-boned a car 4 months ago from a stop light, guy ran the red light and he hit him at 10-15mph turning left. Truck has been completely rebuilt, new frame, cab was twisted, fenders and hood. Motor needed fixing and they wouldn't total it. He's at 35k and counting on a 43k truck, less than 12k miles on the road... absolute junk! I told him to not drive it off the lot if they ever get it done, right to the sales department and trade/sell it. Take anything but another Dodge.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:58 AM
04scurs
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It very well may be a 6.0L issue. This summer a friend of mine had his '05' Excursion at the dealer for some work when a salesman came over and asked if he had thought about selling it. The salesman went on about how the Ex's are becoming popular again and he could make him a good deal. Then he asked what motor was in it and when he found out it was a 6.0L he said they weren't interested. Told him if it was a 7.3L he could make him a really nice deal.
If we are expecting decent trade in's we may be living with our 6.0's for awhile. lol

Old 12-19-2018, 06:58 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
6.0's have well deserved negative reputation.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:07 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by T diesel
6.0's have well deserved negative reputation.
That's interesting. I got my '06 F350 dually for about 18 months now and the price on these with the 6.0 hasn't budged in the last 2 years. They selling at around $18k or so give and take $1k or so. Lower priced ones are the ones with over 200k miles.

Quick Reply: Ford Dealership Frustration