2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winshield washer not spraying

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 02:59 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winshield washer not spraying

Hello,
I've actually had this problem for a few years, but my winshield washer doesn't spray out anymore. I got plenty of fluid in the tank, but it just will barely seep out of one side. Does anyone know if there is a pump on these that fail? And if so where exactly is it located? Just was checking to see if anyone else had this problem before. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2018, 03:01 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 520 Likes on 399 Posts
When was the last time you replaced the nozzles? The pump is normally not the issue. Cheap bug wash or hard water plugs the nozzles and they have to be replaced.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:32 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
When was the last time you replaced the nozzles? The pump is normally not the issue. Cheap bug wash or hard water plugs the nozzles and they have to be replaced.
I have never replaced the nozzles. THat is likely the issue then. How do they come out?

Old 12-18-2018, 10:57 AM
wheelerfreak
Tuned
Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Check the plastic Y connector that splits the tubing. It goes from the main supply tubing to two, one to each nozzle. Mine was weather beaten and broken and did the same thing. Pop the plastic cowl cover on the passenger side just below the windshield and check it out. I though my pump was bad and it turned out to be that. You can also blow out the nozzles in case those are getting plugged as well.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:01 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Stick a paper clip in the nozzles where the spray comes out; that should open it up. Worked for me in my 2006.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:48 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
the nozzles are very small and patterned to spray over the window.. Poking a paper clip or wire in the hole can clean out crud, but will make it spray a stream like a garden hose up toward the roof......... either BLOW it out, or replace the nozzle.......... taking the hose off at the TEE and then run the pump will check the quantity of flow out of the pump and prove the nozzle is the problem.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:08 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
the nozzles are very small and patterned to spray over the window.. Poking a paper clip or wire in the hole can clean out crud, but will make it spray a stream like a garden hose up toward the roof......... either BLOW it out, or replace the nozzle.......... taking the hose off at the TEE and then run the pump will check the quantity of flow out of the pump and prove the nozzle is the problem.
worked fine (sprayed normal) after i did it on my 2006 nozzles

Old 12-18-2018, 05:23 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Well it is definitely in the nozzles . I took off the hose where it has union joint before it heads into the cowl .Had my wife hit the button and it is shooting out great there . Tried cleaning out entry of nozzles .Didn't help. They're plugged deeper. So I guess I'll have to change them if I want spray . Thanks guys . Question is do I want to spend 25 bucks for new nozzles or just get a new cowl piece for 75 . Then it would be nice and new and black. Unless I can take old ones off and get them cleaned out from the bottom.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​​​

Old 12-19-2018, 03:06 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
One last potential solution - pull the nozzles off and let them sit in a cup of vinegar overnight. That’s could loosen everything up inside.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:50 AM
BigDDog
New User
Yeah man, I would let it sit in a little bit of vinegar as well. Also coke works well with battery corrosion, so it might work on that as well. If you have an air compressor, maybe hit it with the spray nozzle. By the way, that is a sharp looking truck!!!!

Old 12-19-2018, 02:16 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by BigDDog
Yeah man, I would let it sit in a little bit of vinegar as well. Also coke works well with battery corrosion, so it might work on that as well. If you have an air compressor, maybe hit it with the spray nozzle. By the way, that is a sharp looking truck!!!!
Thank you bigddog. It is still looking pretty good. Rust a bit in the cab corners. But not bad at all for it's age. I will take the cowl off when I get a chance and try to get the old nozzles cleaned out. If I can't then I'll look into new ones or a new cowl.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:52 PM
BigDDog
New User
Originally Posted by bigunit54
Thank you bigddog. It is still looking pretty good. Rust a bit in the cab corners. But not bad at all for it's age. I will take the cowl off when I get a chance and try to get the old nozzles cleaned out. If I can't then I'll look into new ones or a new cowl.
Wow!!! Not bad at all for its age if all you got is a little rust in the cab corners. Have a great Christmas and good luck getting the wipers spraying again.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:41 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you can do this without removing the cowl grille - take the supply line apart where it enters the cowl area. Now take a Water Pik if you have one and simply blast water or water/vinegar into the nozzles in a reverse flush. This is going to make a mess so be aware. You take the supply line loose so any particulate matter in the nozzle/supply line has someplace to go. You can also follow up with compressed air into the nozzles. I'm guessing the washer reservoir looks like a sewer inside because of the stale fluid not moving out, so stick a hose in it and flush it out. Run water through the system using the washer pump before hooking the supply line back up. Now you'll need to either pump all the water out of the reservoir or siphon it out. Finally, fill it with fresh fluid, connect the supply line and pump enough through to test the nozzle spray and fill the supply lines so they won't freeze.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:09 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Got it spraying! I used your method 1saxman, except I didn't use waterpik and vinegar, just compressed air. Unhooked it before it went into the cowl and blew through front of both nozzles, got some good gunk out. Kept hooking up and spraying and then they would clog. So I looked in fluid box, it was very gunky in there. So I took my shop vac and sucked it out. Filled with hot water and flushed it and continued until I got the gunk out. Then blew nozzles out again and hooked her up and filled with fresh washer fluid. Took it for a drive and both were spraying good. So I really sprayed out a bunch to be sure to flush the water out. Then came home and topped off the box, should be good to go. I was glad to get this fixed without sending any money and without having to remove the cowl. Thanks guys!!

Old 12-25-2018, 07:00 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Way to go! I developed that trick on a Saturn VUE which was notorious for finicky washer nozzles, among many other things. I like your trick with the shop vac sucking the water out of the reservoir, and I never thought of using hot water to help clean the reservoir either. All you have to do now is start making your own washer fluid using spring water or at least filtered tap water, a few drops of dish detergent, two drops of blue food coloring to make it show up in the reservoir better and some drugstore alcohol. I have a few gallon jugs that I use for it. Its amazing how much cleaner it is than the junk you buy. If you can expect temps below 10F you have to be sure to use enough alky to prevent freezing.

Quick Reply: Winshield washer not spraying